Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Eating / drinking things in a supermarket, before you've paid for them.
  • giantonagiant

Whilst shopping this afternoon, I once again saw someone pushing their trolley round, filling their (fat) face (Kettle chips), while they filled their trolley.
    Why does seeing people do this sort of thing p155 me off so much? Can't they just WAIT!?
    Is it just me? Admittedly 'trying before you buy' is always a good idea, but isn't this a bit necky?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Basically shoplifting!!!

sofatester
    Free Member

Is it really an issue if they pay for it?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

ive had a drink before i finished shopping.. as long as you pay for it why not?

allthepies
    Free Member

chav characteristic #43

bassspine
    Free Member

until it's paid for it belongs to the shop. If the're bothered security can sort it. When people leave their trollys behind and walk off, if I see something I need in it, I'll pick it out.

(well TBH, I imagine being MTF enough to do that)

Kahurangi

I've seen it frequently used by mothers with trolley bound children who'd otherwise be causing trouble. Packet of crisps and put the empty packet through the checkout to pay for it. Everyone's a winner, including the fat, spoilt child.

ojom
    Free Member

My Dad used to do it when we were wee. Just grapes and raisins and stuff cause we liked them and it was fun.

As long as you hand the packet over for scanning it should be fine.

People have done it with energy bars in the shop in the past – as long as they wave over that they are doing it then it's all cool.

Plus – you have to sample the goods…

pacemaker
    Free Member

When people leave their trollys behind and walk off, if I see something I need in it, I'll pick it out.

I put the most expensive item in reach in their unattended trolley, its easier to say you have made a mistake!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Always used to do it when I went shopping with my ma and pa. A bag of no nonsense beef monster munch. Different times then though.

tails
    Free Member

I do it on my lunch break, saves a couple of quid a day for bike parts.

scaredypants

I put the most expensive item in reach in their unattended trolley, its easier to say you have made a mistake!!

I used to work with a girl who'd put alphabet spaghetti and nappies in your trolley. She was like a ninja – you never saw her but would often arrive at the checkout with this extra stuff 😆

(no, I wasn't observant enough to notice them before the checkout)

alanlbikes
    Free Member

my pet hate as i work in store,there all at it,chicken nuggets for all kids,sausage rolls,usual type,if i catch them disposing of packaging,i put it on the checkout belt as they are checking out,get so much satisfaction out of it!!!!!

project
    Free Member

Its fun to put stuff in unattended trolleys,then watch as they get to the checkout and start arguing why they bought that, especially if you put condoms or Annusol in the trolley.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MMM eating grapes then will be theft! since you buy those as weight and not in a packet!!!!!!
    FFS just wait until you get to the till.

parkesie
    Free Member

its theft?? it hasnt left the shop 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Whoop whoop, dis is da sound of da (STW morality) Police!

hels
    Free Member

When I was at school I worked in a supermarket. Saw a teenager pop a packet of tobacco up his jersey. (yes back in the days when it wasn't behind the counter). Charged his mother for it, who noticed and questioned it. Sooooooo snapped !

But yes definitely a class indicator. Only extremely posh or extremely chavvy people do it. Manners are so middle class.

brakes
    Free Member

what I do, which I imagine is quite annoying, is snap the really long stems off the broccolli that I won't eat and throw them back in the crate

timbercombe
    Free Member

It's just out of order, don't see why people can't wait an hour before scoffing their faces, it's the shop's property at that point so IMO theft and probably so in the eyes of the law.

iDave
    Free Member

i often drink from a bottle of bucky as i wander around looking for the pot noodle aisle

sturmey
    Free Member

Boiled eggs from the salad bar at morrisons take some scanning from in yer belly. 😯

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

agree, I used to think that this was the mark of the terminally lacking in self-discipline. then mini-plums came along and realised that 18 month olds fit quite neatly into this category. still give the Mrs stick about it though………

peteroughton169
    Free Member

I do it, normally after a ride on my way home, so judge me pompous fools, and no, I'm not a Chav! (or fat or spoilt)

sturmey
    Free Member

Is it wrong to put the petrol in your car before paying then?

Grimy
    Free Member

It is just wrong filling your face with stuff before youve even paid for it. Its just uncouth and chavy. But….I am afraid I'm guilty by association to my Girlfreind. She was feeling a bit fait and I'll in Asda one trip and so she cracked open a bottle of water we hadnt yet paid for. I figured it was semi-acceptable as she looked quite ill, but can it ever be so? I dont know….but there's no flipping excuse for filling you face with cake and crisps.

juan
    Free Member

I have done it several times and will do it again. Not illegal in France. And I can't see why it bothers people. As long as you pay for it.
    I use to be known as the headless bread man at waitrose back in the day. I can't (that is being french probably) get a baguette and not have a chunk of the head of it. So I always was getting to the till with always having the head of the bread missing.

dr_death
    Free Member

I always eat the food in restaurants before I've paid for it…. Is this wrong??

djglover
    Free Member

I never see this. I shop in Waitrose though.

miketually
    Free Member

Can't see the problem as long as you pay for it.

our kids liked the lemon and raisin pancakes to munch on while we shopped.

Flaperon

I always eat the food in restaurants before I've paid for it…. Is this wrong??

SUPERMARKETS DO NOT WORK THIS WAY.

^^
    Yes, capitals. Controversial, eh?

plop_pants
    Free Member

It's some of my roadie mates that eat their own food at the cafe stop that
    rattles my cage.

sofatester
    Free Member

Oh dear 🙄

samuri
    Free Member

I didn't realise this was acceptable. Cool. i can't wait for my next visit to the supermarket so I can pre-fit a condom and leave a nice smear of KY in that special place.

Don't worry, I'll let them scan the the packets.

jon1973
    Free Member

Is it wrong to put the petrol in your car before paying then?

You're not using the petrol at that point though. Filling you tank is the supermarket equivalent of putting things in your trolley. Not the same thing at all, as it's usually not possible to pay for petrol in advance.

If you eat stuff in Supermarkets before you've paid for it, you're a pair of slippers away from shopping in your dressing gown. You ASDA scum 😉

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

snap the stalks of the brocoli before you bag it to get extra value for money.
    open the finest/extra special/taste the difference pre packed fruit and put it in a loose fruit bag, so you don't have to buy in multiples of 4 or 6

bananaworld
    Free Member

bakes – Member
    what I do, which I imagine is quite annoying, is snap the really long stems off the broccolli that I won't eat and throw them back in the crate

ballsofcottonwool – Member
    snap the stalks of the brocoli before you bag it to get extra value for money.

You foooools! Broccoli stalks bring tasty, nutritious and useful added-bulk to many dishes. I think of them as 'vegan offal'*: undesirable bits that are nonetheless eminently usable. You're missing out by discarding them.

(* credit where credit's due for this phrase, you know who you are 😉 )

miketually
    Free Member

Broccoli stalks give good farts. I snap the woody bits off asparagus, because Jamie Oliver told me too.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I have no problem with it or with people leaving their trolleys unattended for a few minutes.
    Why someone would care one way or another or go as far as ascribing this behaviour to "chavs" is a little sad.

Cooroo
    Free Member

Not acceptable adult behaviour. When my daughter was 3 or 4, she loved to sit in the trolley and eat a baguette as we went round and would eat about half of it before we got to the checkout. No one seemed to mind. And I'm very middle class…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Eating / drinking things in a supermarket, before you've paid for them.’ is closed to new replies.