Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • easyjet
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

travelling without any hold luggage this time, just gonna carry my pack and helmet as handluggage… suddenly had this thought – will i be ok carrying the normal contents of a bike pack; tubes/co2/multitool/pump/tyre lever? ill aslo have a pair of pedals in there… 😕

scruff9252

I’d be surprised if you got CO2 cartridges through security.

mogrim

Or the multitool.

nickdavies

http://www.easyjet.com/en/dangerous-goods

You can get 4 co2 cart’s on up to 28g. Multitool should be ok if it’s not got scissors/screwdriver or similar on. Can’t see any other issues?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Trouble with security is that each airport can interpret the rules in different ways – which means you’re never going to be sure until you’re there whether they get through or not.
    Having said that, print out the easy jet guidelines, take with you and, if necessary, show to security.
    Good luck.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

just a tiny topeak thing, no scissors or blades but one small phillips head.

youve put my mind at rest anyway, reckon ill be reet…

pedroball
    Free Member

security laid out the duct tape, zip ties, multi tool and torque wrench in front of me and it didn’t look good. The only things they kept back from the flight were the zip ties and the torque wrench…

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

oh shit! maybe ill try and think of alternatives….

nickjb
    Free Member

Trouble with security is that each airport can interpret the rules in different ways

this is the problem. The official rules are pretty slack but you can’t argue with security goons.

Del

i wouldn’t even consider it. someone i know got a set of folding allen keys taken off him even before 9/11
    for the sake of a few bob and 5 mins either end what’s the point?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve had a multitool taken off me in Canada.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I would assume that any tools will be removed from your hand luggage. They were even taking duct tape away last time I went through.
    You can check 20kg for £38. That’s probably less than your multi tool cost and they were really strict on 1 piece of hand luggage.

AlexSimon

So you don’t have a bike with you to stuff all that in with?

I’ve had a multitool removed that was in my backpack by accident after snowboarding in Canada.

BTW – I was told at Manchester that no CO2 cannisters were allowed hold or cabin.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My brother had a multi tool taken off him at E midlands recently. It was a very small one, no blades or scissors.

NewRetroTom

My local airport (Edinburgh) seems to be particularly strict. I wouldn’t expect them to let me through with any tools at all.

tootallpaul

I’ve had a multitool confiscated as well. Twice. Both times left in the pack accidentally.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

bike and kit is being driven down, meeting them there. the dilemma is because ill be there a day earlier than them! so need to take bare essentials for 1 days riding a hire bike (carbon V10 8) ) so maybes ill just ditch the offensive items with the rest of my stuff and chance it…

mrchrispy

I’m sure the hire place can sort you out with some emergency kit

sofaboy73
    Free Member

would be surprised if you got the multi tool through.

i’ve had to answer stern questions and suspicious looks for simply leaving energy gels in the pack and them showing up on the x-ray.

apparently sticks of a jelly like substance, in seal foiled wrappers, bunched together set alarm bells ringing – who knew

annebr
    Free Member

And on the other hand, I’ve accidently flown from Luton to Belfast with a 4 inch penknife in my handbag. They didn’t spot it with x-rays etc.

Found it over there and decided to post it back to myself rather than run the risk on the way back.

DanW
    Free Member

I’m sure the hire place can sort you out with some emergency kit

Depending on country, there’s usually a local Supermarket selling this type of thing for pennies too if you know where to look. Probably easier to check a bag in to be honest.

toby1

And on the other hand, I’ve accidently flown from Luton to Belfast with a 4 inch penknife in my handbag. They didn’t spot it with x-rays etc.

This

jambalaya
    Free Member

for the sake of a few bob and 5 mins either end what’s the point?

It’s not a few bob and its not 5 mins. As above more like £40 and 20 minutes either end.

nonk
    Free Member

Is it generally ok to put tools ,gels , lubes etc in hold luggage?

JohnnyPanic

I once had a security lass rifling through my carry on rucsac at Geneva looking for something. Wouldn’t tell me what until she triumphantly unearthed the swiss army knife I’d left in there 😳

On another occasion (also at Geneva) they told me I couldn’t carry on the 60m climbing rope I had in the sac. It had come out through Luton without any bother a tall. Bag had to go in the hold.

tn25
    Free Member

I got accused of trying to carry a blade onto a flight by security at Edinburgh. Turned out to be a propelling pencil! ?

Shackleton

I flew Newcastle to Bristol once a month for 2 years. Towards the end I was stopped and a search of my bag yielded a fork from my dinner. Confiscated and sent on my way. Later in departures I was rummaging for something in the inside Ltd pocket of my rucksack. What did I find? My gerber multitool with 3″ locking blade, screwdriver, etc. I was quite relieved as it had been a gift and I hadn’t seen it in 2 years even though it had been my unwitting companion through more than 50 airport security checks, including ones where they searched the bag. Rather last faith in the whole procedure now!

Del

It’s not a few bob and its not 5 mins. As above more like £40 and 20 minutes either end.

that’s me convinced 🙄

jkomo

Took multi tool through Gatwick. No blades obvs.
    I thought CO2 would be a no go.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 2 most random was finding my Swiss army knife in my hand luggage after security in Geneva and having a discussion about the jar of fancy honey that I had forgotten to put in hold luggage also in Geneva, the phrase present for missus after boys ski trip worked well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘easyjet’ is closed to new replies.