Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Easy route near Keswick?
  • mavisto
    Free Member

GF and I are going to Keswick at the weekend. GF not too confident on her bike yet, but I'm hoping to change that with some gentle mountain biking.

We will be staying in Keswick, so can anybody recommend a not too tough route of about 15 to 20 miles?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Whinlatter blue will give an idea of what she's capable of. Not a total beginner's track, but good fun. If she likes it you can do the south red loop afterwards.

Alternatively take the old railway to Threlkeld, up the valley almost to Skiddaw House, then come back under Lonscale Crags, and down the trees on the side of Latrigg.

crazy-legs

Alternatively take the old railway to Threlkeld, up the valley almost to Skiddaw House, then come back under Lonscale Crags, and down the trees on the side of Latrigg.

Good route but the bit of track under Lonscale is not for the faint hearted, in fact I've never seen *anyone* clear it so she may not thank you for that part of it… It WILL involve pushing/carrying. Nice route though, decent views if the weather is good.

Another option would be a simple round-the-lake. Starts out on road heading south towards Borrowdale but you can quickly get onto a footpath (bikes are sort of allowed) on the right hand side, take you down through woodland eventually to Grange at the south end of the lake. Couple of nice cafes there then come back via Cat Bells (bit of pushing to get up there but easy once you're there, nice views)
    You join it HERE then follow the Allerdale Ramble path then a few easy bits of quiet road and across a field back to Keswick.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Tour of Skiddaw. I take beginners on this all the time and they love it. Some walking required on Lonscale Fell due to scary drop into valley and jagged rocks. Beats Whinlatter into a cocked hat!

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Good route but the bit of track under Lonscale is not for the faint hearted, in fact I've never seen *anyone* clear it

I have, but it wasn't me!!! But it's only a very short stretch, and the rest of the route more than compensates.

crazy-legs

But it's only a very short stretch, and the rest of the route more than compensates.

You're right, it's one of my favourites, in fact I remember family holidays in the Lakes when I was 16/17 and I'd go out early before the rest of the family got up in order to do that loop.

On my own, no mobile, limited spares (and no experience of fixing flats!), my Mum only vaguely aware that I'd even gone out, never mind where. 😯 But I survived so it can't be that bad!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

You could take her out on the Brundholme road and up the shoulder of Latrigg – that's an easy one:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24419

Once you're at the top, see how she feels. You could carry on to Skiddaw House or drop back down into town – or even head back the way you came and into Threlkeld for lunch, then back down the railway line. There are also plenty of tracks criss-crossing the front of Latrigg that you could explore; stick to double track stuff though – anything that's singletrack will probably get steep and might be a bit too techincal for her.

anagallis_arvensis

in fact I've never seen *anyone* clear it

I've cleared it on a hardtail, but then I did once end up sat on the edge with my toes holding the top tube over the abyss once so gave up trying anymore. Its easier from Latrigg direction.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

You're right, it's one of my favourites, in fact I remember family holidays in the Lakes when I was 16/17 and I'd go out early before the rest of the family got up in order to do that loop.

I replied to a request on here a couple of years ago from a "southerner" who wanted a riding partner whilst on holiday. Came from the mountains of Cambridge, and I spent the day hanging on to his wheel. We did that bit after 35 miles and he just flew over it. Got my own back at the ford where he came off!!!

crazy-legs

Not me, this was 15+ years ago, I had a Saracen with canti brakes and a whole 1.5" of suspension when I first rode that loop!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My GF didn't enjoy the hiking bit of that route, mainly coz the weather got a bit naff & we had to walk up the hill at the bit you can break off to Skiddaw House. She did enjoy coming back down the side of the forest though & on the whole was pleased she'd done it.
    If it were me, i'd try something flatter around the lake(s) for the first ride though, just coz to a girl stuff can seem more difficult than you may appreciate if you're used to it.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Go with Crazy-Legs route. The climb up is gentle and do-able by all and the pushing bit is nothing. It's probably 200m for a novice and less for more experienced. I've never cleared it but it's down to about 2 sections of 5 to 10 metres. The descent down the face of Latrigg is brilliant for all (novices and experienced) and great finish to the ride. It should take you 90 minutes to 2 hours I'd guess.

C

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

just coz to a girl stuff can seem more difficult than you may appreciate if you're used to it.

I don't think girls like to be patronised. So long as they know they're not expected to ride everything (and the same applies to blokes) they're happy to do the tour of Skiddaw and many other trails with technical sections.

grumm
    Free Member

I know you call Garburn a beginners ride Simon but I know for a fact my gf would murder me if I tried to take her on it because she would end up walking so much of it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but I know for a fact my gf would murder me if I tried to take her on it because she would end up walking so much of it.

Skiddaw is way easier than Garburn bar a 100m long section

mavisto
    Free Member

Thanks Guys, it's been a great help.

Depending on the weather, I think it will be either Crazy-Legs route or cycling to Whinlatter Forest and doing the blue run.

The Skiddaw loop looks great, but I think the

steep fellside with an alarming drop to the left and numerous scary outcrops which threaten to pitch you into oblivion

might scare her a little.

She's usually fine once we get going and she's feeling more confident (riding on a canal tow path with hard packed snow and ice last February was interesting!) but it's getting her to relax that's the difficult bit.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

steep fellside with an alarming drop to the left and numerous scary outcrops which threaten to pitch you into oblivion

hey, I thought I recognised my style there! Obviously, if you're not riding it there's no danger 🙂

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I see what you're saying Simon, but while my GF was eventually pleased she did it all, fact was that she had to push up the big uphill from Threlkeld past the Blencathra Centre, up the steep slope to near Burnt Horse, and again over the crags on Lonscale Fell.
    It was one of her first decent rides & because of the above, the first half wasn't enjoyable. Could equally be a bloke but the OP's asked about his missus hence the comment about a girl's POV…
    Stick with something much simpler first so she gets happy with the terrain, then try something harder.
    The weather at this time of year's not gonna help either 🙁

scaredypants

push up the steep slope to near Burnt Horse, and again over the crags on Lonscale Fell.

If they're the bits I'm thinking of, climbing up to near the T junction at the "top" and then the climb further up & onto the return traverse along what's basically a stream, I can't ride up 'em still – due to being overweight and lazy in my case rahter than lack of experience (I've been failing climbs like those for years!)

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Yep, them. Even I got a bit annoyed with it, wasn't helped by weather closing in for a little while & it'd been raining non-stop for about a month before so it was soft underfoot.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Easy route near Keswick?’ is closed to new replies.