Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Easy natural trails in Scotland
  • jimmy

The SO wants to ride some ‘mountain trails’ but unfortunately I don’t know of any easy stuff around. The likes of Ben Cleugh and Ben Ledi are all too steep for her to enjoy. Any other ideas? Are there any hills that are easy to get up (and down)?

devs
    Free Member

Aye, there’s some nice ones in the woods.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Loch ordie circuit near dunkeld for a shortish undemanding day out.

Beinn A’ghlo circuit for a full day out in the mountains

Unfortunately mountains tend to be steep

Garry_Lager

I did a few rides out of KWIlsons book with my wife – I thought his grading was pretty accurate, I think he grades according to technical and aerobic difficulty or something similar, so you can pick accordingly (my wife had goodish endurance, but couldn’t handle climbs at all.)

The Glen Garr circuit in Dunkeld was the best – no real climbing, plenty of interesting bits for you and long enough to feel like a proper ride. Only an hour and a bit away from Edinburgh. Did the Aberfoyle loop which she found a bit long IIRC, and not that exciting. There’s also a loop near Aberfeldy in the book that was a nice day out in the moorland, but again not that exciting.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Unfortunately mountains tend to be steep

Tis true. Though your path up them doesnt have to be! I’m interested to hear the routes here as I need to find some.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bein A’Ghlo gives you a real mountain feel. One steep long climb ( mainly on tarmac} at the beginning, mainly doubletrack, some single track sections one of which is a steep climb / hikabike one steepish technicalish descent. very nice day out ( from memory)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Glen Tilt. I’m packing my tent and bob trailer tonight for a weekends camping bliss.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Glen Tilt. I’m packing my tent and bob trailer tonight for a weekends camping bliss.

clareymorris

There is some nice riding in the Trossachs…………riding from Brig ‘o’ Turk is great and some lovely places to stay too. There will be planty of advice concerning riding from the guys on the forum 🙂

http://www.incallander.co.uk/trossachscycling2.htm

desf
    Free Member

Rothiemurchas?

2nd Glen Tilt too.

Dougal
    Free Member

Blairadam, Pittmedden, Badaguish, David Marshall Lodge, Mugdock Park, Dumyat (plus Mine Woods above Bridge of Allan).

cbike
    Free Member

Drumlanrig

stravaiger
    Free Member

The OP thinks Ben Cleugh is too much and you guys are suggesting Beinn A’ghlo 🙁 Don’t do that unless she has excellent stamina and fitness

Glen Garr and Dunkeld are good suggestions. The Glen Fincastle route from Pitlochry is also good. All Dougals suggestions are spot on. Dumyat in the Ochils is better than Ben Cleuch tho will require some local knowledge and probably a bit of walking to get the best day out feel.

Good fun in the wee hills at the back of Perth as well – as long as you dont stray onto the downhill course

masses of stuff around aviemore/rothiemurchas which is ideal for any level – go and visit Bothy Bikes for ideas – also some nice riding around Comrie – go and visit Comrie Croft for ideas – tho their trails will probably be too difficult there are loads of tracks in the area.

jimmy

thanks people, especially clareymorris for the link with maps. am familiar with these places so good to know where trails are.

Happy weekends all.

Smee
    Free Member

Gypsy Glen.

druidh
    Free Member

Wot Smee said

scotabroad

Nice birl round loch Morlich area if you are in aviemore.

Blue routes in 7 stanes are worth a visit for short fun rides.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Easy natural trails in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.