Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Easton Haven Wheels or Hope Pro 2 Evo on Flows
  • justatheory
    Free Member

I need a new wheelset and was set on getting some Hope Hoops, but then I noticed CRC have reduced their Havens and I’m tempted. They look nice and wide, reasonable weight and are UST compatible, on the downside I’ve heard reports online of rear hub issues.

Has anyone had problems with Havens and/or Hope Hoops. Anyone ridden both?

Schweiz
    Free Member

Have both.

Havens are look and ride lovely but there is a serious design problem with the freehub in my opinion. The pawls are tensioned with a very flimsy wire clip which snapped in half, rendering the bike unrideable. Spares are not readily available except from Easton. Also the hubs need to be periodically tightened (no big deal but another pre-ride check to do)

Hopes are heavier of course, don’t look as nice, but are more serviceable, repairable and quite a bit more bulletproof (don’t know what rims you are planning).

honourablegeorge

Hope Hoops have Hope warranty, which is f&ckign great

Lot of people nonpolussed about the warranty service on Havens, and the amount of it needed.

justatheory
    Free Member

Cheers, I was going to go with Flows or XM719s for the Hope Build. Eastons do look nice but don’t want to be worrying about them all the time. Practical v shiny bling – I hate these decisions 😀

Schweiz
    Free Member

I’d definitely go for the Flows on Pro2 Evos. If you want to bling them up a little then get coloured Hubs and nipples. Just Riding Along are great builders who can sort you out with the coloured bits.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

get some bling flows

here

justatheory
    Free Member

To be honest I’m not too bothered about bling, I bought a Canyon! My head was turned by the 50% discount and good weight to strength ration, but I did a bit of googling and found more than a few reports of dodgy feehubs. Think I’ll just go with the Flows.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Everyone I know with Havens has had a problem with the freehub and/or loose bearings. On paper they look great, in service they leave a lot to be desired esp compared to Hope.

justatheory
    Free Member

100mphplus – You’ve hit the nail on the head, they looked good on paper and with 50% off I was seduced, but I think I’m going to stick with the Hope.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Can the Haven’s (Front and rear) be converted after you’ve got them to the different standards; QR/QR15/20mm, 142x12mm etc or are you stuck with the choice you make when you buy them?

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m certain that conversion kits are available

Schweiz
    Free Member

20mm hub is different. 15mm and QR are convertable. Rear is convertable.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Great thread lads, I was considering exactly the same but I think I’ll stick with the Hopes

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Havens, AVOID. I’ve had so many problems with mine and the importer (“ohh we’ve not had that problem before”) I’d rather use Crank Brothers wheels.

My long term review here

I just use the wheels in the dry now so last summer they got about a months use.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope near on 10 years of happy use here.

New set of Gold Pro II Evo’s on 719’s coming here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Easton Haven Wheels or Hope Pro 2 Evo on Flows’ is closed to new replies.