Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Easton Haven vs Mavic Crossmax SC
  • honourablegeorge

Which would you have?

(It’s one or the other)

br
    Free Member

Something with a non-proprietary hub…

jedi

i been using mavic crossmax st and sx for 3months now. the sx are light and strong and not cheap 🙂

honourablegeorge

SX I meant….I’m leaning towards them, despite not being a fan of the white rim.

jedi

i been battering mine. other than a couple of burping issues with tubeless being to low pressure they handle all the drops at herts etc.. and light enough for regualr mtb rides too 🙂

honourablegeorge

jedi – Member
    i been battering mine. other than a couple of burping issues with tubeless being to low pressure they handle all the drops at herts etc.. and light enough for regualr mtb rides too

Which ones? The SX? I’m inclined yo listen to a man of your reputation…. although I suspect you land things a hell of a lot smoother than I do….

jedi

i use the sx predominantly , the st are on my hummer

honourablegeorge

Cool.

SX on the way.

jedi

in use.

Night_0009 by ukbikeskills, on Flickr

Hip_sesh_0012 by ukbikeskills, on Flickr

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My Haven review

OK these were first generation Havens and the hub design has supposedly improved but warranty back up has been tedious.

honourablegeorge

Ta Ming

Bike-components had the SX for 529EUR.yesterday. Missed the offer but they’re still 100EUR less than CRC so took the plunge anyhow.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve gone the custom route for a new back wheel and unfortunately the budget has gone the way of MOD procurement and errr overrun a bit, gone for a flow rim, sapim x ray spokes and a profile racing MTB elite hub. I’ll do a write up when it arrives.

honourablegeorge

Sweet. I was kind of confined to the factory route – had to be here in time for Xmas. Long story…

honourablegeorge

Jedi – what’s the nearest airport and or port to you?

Have a club here in Ireland, possible that a few of us might be into a coaching weekend. I assume I’d go from moderate skills to whips over northshore gaps like the above in a weekend, right? 🙂

jedi

Either stanstead or luton are near dude. B+bs local too for beer drinking after 🙂

Northwind

My Mavics are pretty old, but the hub design and experience has pretty much inspired me to never buy anything of theirs again. Axle breaks, email Mavic, can I buy a new axle? “No, send the wheels to france. Both wheels, not just the one that’s broken”. Er, no thanks, I just need a new axle “YOU DO NOT KNOW! Only Mavic know. Send us both wheels. We will see what we can do” “Can you definately give me a new axle?” “We cannot know until you send us both wheels”

So, Mavic can **** off frankly.

jedi

I wanted a bolt through axel. Emailed and had it 48hrs later. Nothing like the service I had heard about from previous years

Northwind

That was in June :mrgreen: I think it’s possible I’d have got a better response for a current model wheel to be fair.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Northwind – sounds more like the shop not knowing what age and model wheels you had to be honest, or how to identify it, or CBA to look it up on the online tech-docs 🙁

pedalhead
    Free Member

There are also after market manufacturers like Risse Racing in the ‘States making axles etc for Mavic wheels. Mavic said I couldn’t convert my 20mm Crossmax SX to 15mm. Wrong, Risse make a 15mm axle that I’ve just installed & works fine. Later Crossmax SX wheels are really easy to maintain & don’t have the crappy bushing of previous ones (pre-2009 I think). Just replaced a bearing in mine & serviced front & back, all nice & simple.

Northwind

Zulu-Eleven – Member

Northwind – sounds more like the shop not knowing what age and model wheels you had to be honest, or how to identify it, or how to look it up on the online tech-docs

No shop involved, I was speaking directly to Mavic.

Northwind

Ah hah- I should add to that, Mavic France, as I wasn’t able to find contact details for Mavic in the UK. But as a result of this thread, Mavic UK been in touch which, for 6pm on a sunday, is kinda awesome.

So watch this space but my Mavic hate-saga might be about to take on a different tone.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

don’t know if they’ve improved or changed them since they were first released but if you check out reviews of Havens on MTBR every second review can be summarised as “bearings failed/collapsed, Easton weren’t interested”.

I was sufficiently put off to pass up on them when they were half price at Merlin.

Pretty sure the older models wouldn’t do a 20mm front which is insane for an “all mountain” wheel (though think thats been resolved in newer models).

Not a fan of proprietory wheels at all to be honest, I’ve had mech/branch/spoke encounters in the mountains and like being able to repair my bike quickly and easily.

billysan
    Free Member

Sorry to dig this thread back up. It seemed the most encouraging one of the ones I found when searching, so decided not to start a new one . . . .

So Crossmax SX. I want a light but solid wheel for my hard use hardtail. Wheels must have an easier life on a FS bike, but these are specifically for my Chamemlon and 2.4″ tires.

Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether these would be less preferable for a hardtail due to an (my percieved admitedly) increased risk of breaking spokes?
    Would Havens be more suitable in this circumstance due to having steel spokes?

Not a fan of how soft Stans rims are from previous experience. Have always been impressed by mavic rims, but have never dabbled in proprietry wheelsets before.

Jedi – Am keen to know your continuing thoughts too?

jedi

i love mine. i needed a new rim after coming up a little short on a wood to wood drop (10ft+) but that was pilot impatience as the wood wasnt dry. any rim would have been written off.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Easton Haven vs Mavic Crossmax SC’ is closed to new replies.