Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Easton Carbon Monkey lite SL Snappage!
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

Riding at Kirrochtree last Sat and did a very slow over the bars type manouvre over a particulally easy rock step and landed with my leg against my bars and they snapped where the brake lever is. Has anyone else had this problem? I've only had them for 8 months, do you think they will replace them? A bit shocking really as it wasnt a big impact, im glad i wasnt tearing down some tricky decent. Who else rides carbon bars? all my bikes have em. I worried.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The STW lynch mobs don't take kindly to people who break potentially faulty product when they crash (search Halfords…).

firestarter
    Free Member

i dare say they wont warranty them in a crash. last crash i had i bent my brand new race face atlas am bars ;-( i just threw them in the bin as it was my fault

leftyboy
    Free Member

Ridden with carbon bars for years – more than 10 and never had a problem. Had a set of mid-weight alloy bars that I cracked near the brake lever in a slow speed crash but I think it was because my body acted as a large lever and the forces were much greater as a consequence.

In my experience it's not always the big, smacking a rock crash that does the damage.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

tightened the bolt on the brake lever too much? unlucky

Edric64
    Free Member

Although I am not a fan of carbon anything on a bike I will try to be serious.Was the brake lever over tightened? thus over stressing the bar at that point.It may be an idea to use a torque wrench on lightwewight components

EddieFiola
    Free Member

What the hell is a torque wrench? Does it tell you what to do? I have a talk wench, is that similar?

Northwind

If it cracked right at the lever, people are always going to say it was overtightened, to be fair there's a decent chance that's true- the torque needed for brake levers etc is very low and it's quite natural to overtighten them. But, the SLs are supposed to have reinforced lever areas to reduce that risk.

Easton carbon parts are very good but the SL is true superlight kit, the XC's really a more appropriate bar for most use. Has the bar been crashed before?

Edric64
    Free Member

What the hell is a torque wrench? Does it tell you what to do? I have a talk wench, is that similar?

If you are going to be a prick I wont try to help in future

deserter
    Free Member

I always use a torque wrench on everything as I always seem to overtighten everything on a bike, it gives me a strange peace of mind also

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I'll give you a peas of my mind if you don't stop it.

showerman
    Free Member

handbags

andrewh
    Free Member

I would ask their warrenty dept nicely, maybe they will be kind to you and give you new ones, maybe they will offer new set half price, maybe they will tell you to go away as it's your fault. Nothing to loose by asking.

nickc

tighten brake levers enough so that they don't move in normal use, but a hit will knock them out of the way. I didn't have to use a torque wrench

RichPenny
    Free Member

To be fair Edric you weren't being all that helpful anyway

Edric64
    Free Member

Why was that not helpful?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry, was just testing to see if you are actually that uptight. It seems that you are 😀

br
    Free Member

Buy one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=39478

Although I found that it tightens more than I had been doing.

highclimber
    Free Member

contact the warranty dept and tell them they didn't break because you crashed but you crashed because they broke!

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Hey Edric 64

I was having a laugh at my expense as im the one who crashed not you, if you cant stand a bit of banter, youre at the wrong place. Jeese! A prick what are you 13?

clive
    Free Member

now now ladies 😀

takisawa2

I love STW. Class. 8)

druidh
    Free Member

Try driving a new car into a wall, then going to the manufacturer and asking if they'll repair the damage under warranty.

scaredypants

lite sl snappage

I think there's a clue or two in there

Macavity
    Free Member

Breaking News
    Man breaks plastic pipe.

stevede
    Free Member

if you've snapped some carbon super light bars would you really want to replace them like for like? I personally would avoid any product that had failed on me like that as i value my teeth. May not be a manufacturing fault but i wouldn't risk another set.

stevede
    Free Member

edit: double post, apologies.

Macavity
    Free Member

J E Gordon wrote book called The New Science of Strong Materials: or Why Your feet Don't Fall Through the Floor.
    It gives an explanation of, why some people might have fantastic expectations of carbon fibre (CFRP)and, why CFRP has some severe limitations.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Macavity – Member
    Breaking News
    Man breaks plastic pipe.

Thats class!
    Very wise words

Eddie Fiola, I'm sure you must've crashed and bent plenty of GT Pro Performers during your time as The Flying Banana.

Just bin the broken carbon bars and buy some decent alloy ones.

Druidh and I are thinking along the same lines.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Crashed in a race the other week.Luckily my Monkeylite SL's were unscathed! The Antares braided saddle did not fare to well.Rail broke in one place and then carried on riding to finish race and it was broke in four places.Remind not to buy a £150 saddle(a bit cheaper as it was trade!)!
    Thanx Max

RichPenny
    Free Member

Try driving a new car into a wall, then going to the manufacturer and asking if they'll repair the damage under warranty.

That's fine up to a point, but if you drove a car into a wall at 5mph, would you expect it to snap in half?

Northwind

If it was the lightest car in the world, perhaps you would.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Easton Carbon Monkey lite SL Snappage!’ is closed to new replies.