Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Easier 'natural' routes in the Lakes?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Can I get some recommendations on easier/not too technical non trail centre routes in the Lakes (around Keswick, Ambleside or Coniston) that would be suitable for younger Teenage lads of mixed ability. Routes that would be blue and a big beyond in a trail centre, hopefully with options to lengthen or shorten depending on weather and fitness. Thanks

sideshow
    Free Member

You could build something around Walna scar road as the main descent, it’s not very hard. Not sure what the bit over white pike is like but that would seem the shortest loop to include it.

On the other side of Coniston the excellent descent from Low Parkamoor to High Nibthwaite can be linked to form a loop with fireroads in the forest. Not too hard if you go slow 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s some nice tracks on Blawith Common south of Torver that are worth doing. Good views and not too hilly. There’s stuff around Staveley as well. Claife Heights is another good one.

The Vertebrate guide to the Lakes has a few routes that might be useful, also check the pedalnorth website, see if anything takes your fancy and ask about it.

fathomer

Me and the Mrs did the Iron Keld and Loughrigg Terrace ride from the Bike Treks website last week and apart from a couple of the rockier bits on Loughrigg she really enjoyed it. They’ve got a couple of other easier, shorter rides as well.

We also did the Troutbeck and Jenkins Cragg ride from the V Publishing book, again she really enjoyed it aprt from the worst bit of Jenkins.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have a look at this thread, quite a lot of ideas and links. You may need to shorten a ride depending on your kids or you 😉

Natural Grizedale

As above we walked on Loughrigg a few weeks ago and the route above you can do a much shorter version, Ambleside, Loughrigg Tarn, Terrace, Ambleside. Not technical but character building climb up out of Ambelside on small roads and then track 🙂 (Miller Brow, under Ivy Crag, Tarn) I would guess with kids it could take nealry an hour to ride push up before starting the flat/down bit to Loughrigg Tarn – circuit clockwise

jambalaya
    Free Member

@fathomer how long inc stops did that take ?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

This one goes from Keswick glendaterra-lonscale-crags

You can’t go all the way down the old rail path from Keswick but that shouldn’t spoil it.

ampthill

An option is Park in Ambleside and take the boat to Bowness. Bit of cycle path, chain ferry across the lake the back up the bridle way on the far side the road sustrans route in to town

The boat can be replaced with Bridleway on the Bowness side of the lake through trout beck and the part of the South side of the Garburn pass

The Bridleway in Borrowdale valley including the flank of cat bells is also good

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tilberthwaite/hodgeclose is mostly easy double track, there’s a couple of bits of single track you can work in too

thorpey0
    Free Member

Some good advice, thanks. I know quite a bit of what has already been mentioned, especially around Ambleside. I’ll grab the maps and start looking at the other options that people have kindly suggested.

colournoise

Lonscale is non-technical? I wouldn’t take someone up there who wasn’t pretty confident in their bike handling. Never quite understood why it seems to be promoted as a good beginner’s route.

tinribz
    Free Member

Here’s a good one, been a few years since I did it, get a trip on the car ferry too.

http://www.exploresouthlakeland.co.uk/downloads/Claife-Heights.pdf

Junkyard
    Free Member

up kentmer road all the way to the ressie
    Cross th ebridge and back down the other side

about 20 miles and 800 footish of climbing
    Dead dead easy one loose road descent that is not at all technical

massive views and as flat as you will get in the laked

Did it with kids since they were 6 ish

Also some to part way up to long barons? turn towards Kentmere and then descend when you cross the second ? river –

I can do GPX of either of those – or proper directions for the second

These are more aimed at non cyclists absolute beginners though

Junkyard
    Free Member

? I wouldn’t take someone up there who wasn’t pretty confident in their bike handling. Never quite understood why it seems to be promoted as a good beginner’s route

Agreed and its lots of climbing for not much point IMHO
    I think the penalty for failure might be quite high as well and plenty will walk it

TomB

Nice loop from the kirkstile inn along loweswater shore path then up and return along the fellside, obvious bridleways on map, plus you get to finish at the lovely kirkstile inn with a pint of loweswater gold. Having been to 2 fatalities on Lonscale, would agree with the cautious notes expressed above.

The killer for younger riders is often the climbs, which can be relentless in parts of the lakes.

fathomer

@jambalaya not 100% but I’d guess somewhere between 3&4 hours.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Easier 'natural' routes in the Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.