Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Easier front mech shifting
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been trying to sort out the Front Mech on my gf's bike.

After Cyclewises Women's course she informs me that
    "Women can have weaker thumbs & therefore shifting up (Front Mech) may seem harder"

There was talk of some different cables to make shifting easier any ideas.

I just replaced the inner & outer and gave it a damm good clean but it seems just the same

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Then it's probably about as good as you'll ever get it…..

Some women find Gripshift easier though, apparently. And it has to be said the newwer Shimano stuff has a floaty light shifting action, much better than a few years ago. 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Depends on what shifter you have, what front mech you have and also cable. Cheaper mechs and shifter IMHO tend to have more friction in them and ar harder to shift – My neighbours daughter had a Hardrock with SRAM 4 gpset and tis bloomin awful – changing the cable woill only help so far IMHO. Try some better shifters and mech if it becomes a biggy?

Zoolander
    Free Member

Singlespeed it 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

my missus bike has really minimal outers and the shifting is the lightest ive ever known.

Deore shifters/mechs.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

pic of the set-up? if using a traditional mech pulling from above sometimes the angle is a bit sharp and this can make it more difficult, but depends on the frame. In this case changing the mech can make a difference but you can end up with less mud clearance as a downside, but again depends on the frame and mech you have atm.

otherwise, as ^ they say probably about as good as you're going to get it without changing the shifter and/or mech

mikewsmith
    Free Member

its X9 with an X Gen, cable from above pulling up

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Just put a single ring up front and tell her to MTFU.

foxyrider
    Free Member

hmm sounds OK to me but no experience of X-Gen shifting capabilities – Always used SLX/XT mechs – I have a XT/XT setup with top pull and a wide angle and shifts beutifly. Perhaps the outers are long or have to make sharp bends? Maybe try slick shift cables like gore but TBH for that price you coulf get a new mech 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Easier front mech shifting’ is closed to new replies.