Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 180 total)
  • E-bike riders
  • thepodge
    Free Member

I think it has but there are still some ranty people about.

smell_it
    Free Member

The e-bike threads certainly seem to keep pulling in a crowd of regulars both for and against. Same as the the 1x and wheel size threads of old. I would think if everyone that has contributed to multiple e-bike threads, thought ‘You know what, I’m just going to let this one go’, these threads wouldn’t be the multi page throbber fest’s that they are now.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That being the case the fact that the motor stops working at 15.5 mph .

You mean the ones that haven’t been chipped.

Anyway, my point is – ramblers and horse riders already hate you, your motors aren’t going to do anything to improve that. In fact, they’re only going to worsen relations between the different trail users.

tomhoward

You mean the ones that haven’t been chipped.

This may come as a shock, are you sat down?

Not all ebikes have been chipped/derestricted/have 100kw motors.

I know, right?!

Lester
    Free Member

My vague point being it could be taken that you were justifying your credentials because you also had a normal bike as well as an ebike.

i have an e bike as well as having normal bikes 🙂

I thought the general consensus had come around to it’s because “they’re fun”.

they are indeed great fun, they keep the trail flowing for me and extra fun miles every week

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

As this article points out, blasting around in pristine snow on a snowmobile is fun – that doesn’t mean to say that you should go out and do it.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/do-we-really-need-e-bikes-opinion-2017.html

taxi25
    Free Member

^^^^^ I find it hard to disagree with any of that article.

As far as trail wear and goes, I don’t see any reason why e-bikes would cause any more damage than a regular bike, except for one thing – remember the point about being able to do more laps in the same amount of time? Well, that’s double or triple the amount of use on that particular trail, which means that maintenance is going to be required sooner than it would have had only non-motorized bikes been used. It’s not as strong of a sticking point as the potential for user conflicts and losing trail access altogether, but it’s something to bear in mind nonetheless.

This seems the most pertinent point relative to my local woods. Some nice downhill trails, the use of which is managed by having to cycle/push back to the top. For most 3/4 runs is all you’d fancy given the effort required. Up and down all day until your battery runs out will make them less sustainable.
    Saying that Emtb’s are here now, and I wouldn’t call for a ban, I just wish they’d never been invented 🙁

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, I hope the E-MTB crowd get involved with trail building. Unfortunately, they don’t tend to appear to be the types that would do so – because one of the main excuses for them, is that they don’t have enough time to A) Get properly fit and B) spend all day shuttling up and down mini-DH tracks.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Tom …ramblers & horseriders don’t like mountain bikers full stop.( although attitudes have visibly relaxed over the last few years)
    You should have been riding 20 years or so ago prior to trail centres being born …if you wanted to see real hatred & hostility ..
    I don’t have an ebike ..could well fall into the bracket of someone who could or should ..but I’m not ready to give up on my ” normal ” bike ..just yet.
    I’ve previously hired both a full sus Haibike and also a Fatsix and apart from anything else they allowed me to get further on technical climbs than I ever would on my own bike ( Whyte T130RS)..and left me totally knackered at the end of the day more so than my own ..the reason being that I was pushing myself AND the bike as hard as I could .
    I will have an ebike one day …they are terrific fun ..but my reasoning is to extend the amount of time I can keep riding ..and who wouldn’t want to do that ?
    Edit ..just seen your comment regarding trail building ..was there every session for the first five years at Kielder ..and still do an occasional shift ( but had to scale back due to knee problems ) ..you really shouldn’t tar everyone with the same brush..it’s pretty ignorant

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You should have been riding 20 years or so ago prior to trail centres being born …if you wanted to see real hatred & hostility ..

I was.

I don’t want to see a return to that, as soon as some kid gets hit by an e-mtb or some granny gets killed at a level crossing, the story will end up in the Daily Wail and walkers and horsey riders will cotton on to what they actually are – and then the vitriol will come when they realise “motorbikes” have been using the trails with them.

nealglover
    Free Member

As this article points out, blasting around in pristine snow on a snowmobile is fun – that doesn’t mean to say that you should go out and do it.

Oh you absolutely should.
    It’s awesome.
    I used to go to work on one every day and it was **** ace.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Tom ..well my apologies as I ( wrongly ) made the assumption that due to your user name the 1987 part referred to the year you were born ..which would have put you at 10 years old ..
    You see how wrong it is to make assumptions .. 😳

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I was riding Coed-Y-Brenin when I was about 6, before there were any properly marked trails there. 😀

I wasn’t born in 87, but I’m roughly that old 😛

E-Bikes are cool, I admit – I’m just overly fearful of the Brexit voting, cyclist hating public. I do kind of want the new Commencal Meta Power thing, in a dirty….shouldn’t be thinking about it kind of way. 😆

hodgynd
    Free Member

😆

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Oh you absolutely should.

Like riding an ebike, it’s fun, but can bring serious ire upon you if not done responsibly. There’s plenty of spots here in BC that have heli skiing operations on them and snowmobiles can essentially write off a huge amount of terrain which costs the business money and pisses off the customers. There’s also spots which are designated for non-motorized traffic only and that riding there will definitely put you in the bad books. Like everything, a smallish number of users acting responsibly doesnt cause any issues, but if everyone does it, or people act like dicks….

thepodge
    Free Member

@Tom, ride Sheffield has 4500 Facebook members, about 20 turn up to trail days, I’d argue that normal riders aren’t interested in trail building and using those numbers if an equal proportion of ebikers turned up it’d only be someone’s arm.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve been riding mtb’s continually since 1989, I do a few thousand commuting miles each year. I’m in perfect health.

I’m buying an ebike because they look fun. OP you sound like a proper dick regardless of ebikes or not.

nealglover
    Free Member

if an equal proportion of ebikers turned up it’d only be someone’s arm.

That’s probably alright though, because according to the haters it’s only alright to ride ebike if you have a disabilty of some kind 🙄

trout
    Free Member

These E bike threads never fail to throw up the haters. And the users then feel they have to justify their usage .
    Which is bollocks they are legal and here so get used to them .

The Trails , Bridleways , trail centres , rights of ways. Were I thought for everybody to enjoy be they purist human powered riders. Or legal Pedalec bikes And there will be dicks in the whole spectrum of the outdoor enjoyers .

My own justification of owning a fitness compensator is
    I am nearly 63 have been riding mountain bikes since they came on the scene. And before that made my own off-road bikes .
    While 42 years of fitting floors and riding bikes have taken its toll on my knees I can still do decent rides on the anologue bike but when I go out with my normal group who range from 30 up to 63 the E bike means I can keep up with them and still have fun .like last Sunday we did 41 miles of the pennine bridleway with 5008 feet of climbing which on the normal bike would have meant I was wrecked for days after but with the E bike I was good for work on Monday .
    And no one was inconvenienced on ups or downs

And a week ago we were doing Gisburn and shock horror saw a Youth on a spec ebike doing the Hopeline and having heaps of fun and from what we saw no one could catch him going down for sure .

Just maybe some folks need to chill out a bit you will be old one day and I am not hanging my pedals up just yet

taxi25
    Free Member

These E bike threads never fail to throw up the haters. And the users then feel they have to justify their usage .
    Which is bollocks they are legal and here so get used to them .

To be fair most of the hate comes from the pro emtb camp, they get hugely defensive over the fact that others don’t share their passion.

I’m buying an ebike because they look fun. OP you sound like a proper dick regardless of ebikes or not.

kerley
    Free Member

I was riding in the New Forest 20 years ago and still riding there now. There are just as many self entitled horse riders and selfish ramblers now as there were then. Can’t say I have noticed any difference.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Unlucky!
    Possibly the further north you go and because of its proximity to Scotland we have maybe had a trickle down acceptance of their access laws ..and let’s face it most southerners think that Newcastle is in Scotland anyway!
    😆

kerley
    Free Member

whats Newcastle ?

chevychase

Had an ebike hit my mate this weekend at the marin. We’d waited on the trail at the side for him to pass us on a section of technical climb. He was sat on his bike the whole time, giving it the beans (not pedalling – like a proper motorbiker) and because he wasn’t stood up he kept falling off / failing.

Finally got to where we were stopped on a bit of a flat, gave it full whack on the wrist (still not pedalling, still not stood up) back wheel spun out to the right, he lurched left and drove straight into my mate. Cut his leg as he forced him into some rocks at the side of the trail.

Said “sorry, this thing’s just way too powerful”, then quickly fecked off. Still sat down.

They’re motorbikes that attract unfit utter n00bs. Yes, there’s a legitimate market for them and good and responsible users – but in my experience the main market seems to be unfit people, who don’t know how to ride (because it’s the first bike they’ve been on in 20 years).

Until my experience drastically changes I still see these motorbikes as a dangerous menace that are mostly ridden by people lacking the skills to be safe on them – either for themselves or others.

simondbarnes

Had an ebike hit my mate this weekend at the marin

No you didn’t. It was an electric motorbike.

letitreign
    Free Member

Hmmm well yes, I can sort of see the point your making (and we have an ebike, but I’m not gonna get all defensive about it) but to be fair you can get that on any trail, there’s always going to be folk that are slower/more cautious going DH.

Problem is people don’t talk to each other as much on the trails, if it was an enduro event (for example) everyone tends to be friendly and very open about their ability and will happily have a chat with a complete stranger, you’ll get folk saying, ‘do you wanna crack mate on cos I’m a slower one’ or ‘do you mind if we all set off now so we can ride down together’ AND that’s in a race/competition environment, so why can’t more people be like that on the trails?
    There shouldn’t be an us and them, we are all out to enjoy the same thing, share the same trails and countryside, we just need to be more a bit more considerate of others at the same time 🙂

chevychase

Until they make it absolutely impossible for people to derestrict them – which will never happen – then all ebikes are electric motorbikes IMO.

I also stand by the rest of the points I made.

bennyb
    Free Member

Chevychase. I disagree with your assumption that all Ebikes are fat unfit and unskillful riders, im 33, fit, very skilful and love riding my ebike. All these problems I read in these comments about ‘proper’ riders been held up by slower Ebikes or getting annoyed at been overtaken uphill by some cheating Ebikes, I feel these same people would find time to moan if it was just normal bikes, they’d just phrase it different , “I was forced off the trail by some strava hunting idiot” or “someone behind was shouting at me”. Nothing or no one is gonna stop me riding mine, it’s ace.

chevychase

Chevychase. I disagree with your assumption that all Ebikes are fat unfit and unskillful riders

I didn’t make that assertion at all:

Yes, there’s a legitimate market for them and good and responsible users

The problem is, as has been said, people get defensive. But it doesn’t change the fact that ebikes (whilst used responsibly and skillfully by some) are an easy route in to technical riding that doesn’t require the long, slow buildup of fitness and concomitant skills that non-motorised riding requires.

As a result I’m seeing increasing numbers of total n00bs on the trail that are a danger to themselves and others.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Chevy..Im confused as to what you are talking about here ..
    An e-bike is something that you have to pedal to make it move ..that doesn’t seem to be what you are describing

thepodge
    Free Member

Chevy is saying he doesn’t want to share with people he thinks are lesser than him.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Ive been mostly sitting in the “cheatbike camp ” now for some time until a friend of a friend brought one to the Lakes this weekend ,he used to ride until life caught up on him and to say his fitness had dropped would be kind.He managed to do a full loop of the Borrowdale bash and Grizedale without hurting anyone ..posting Strava times and getting outside in the fresh air ..amazing.

Now with everything in life there are always going to be idiots who push everything and everyone to the limit, but not everyone .. besides that after having a go up Walla Crag I couldnt help laughing, they have there place just not for me yet

chvck
    Free Member

Until they make it absolutely impossible for people to derestrict them – which will never happen – then all ebikes are electric motorbikes IMO.

I see what you’re getting at but “gave it full whack on the wrist (still not pedalling, still not stood up)” isn’t a ebike unrestricted or otherwise. If it doesn’t need to be pedalled it’s not an ebike in the context of pedalec. I could be wrong but I doubt even an unrestricted ebike would fishtail about like that.

nealglover
    Free Member

He was sat on his bike the whole time, giving it the beans (not pedalling – like a proper motorbiker) and because he wasn’t stood up he kept falling off / failing.
    Finally got to where we were stopped on a bit of a flat, gave it full whack on the wrist (still not pedalling, still not stood up) back wheel spun out to the right, he lurched left and drove straight into my mate. Cut his leg as he forced him into some rocks at the side of the trail.
    Said “sorry, this thing’s just way too powerful”, then quickly fecked off. Still sat down.

So. Did you actually see anybody on an ebike then?

Or just this guy.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Then if trail centre staff can’t differentiate between legal and illegal bikes, there should be a blanket ban on them at trail centres.

tomhoward

Then if trail centre staff can’t differentiate between legal and illegal bikes, there should be a blanket ban on them at trail centres.

I would have thought if we can suss it out from a description on a forum, a trail centre staffer who is on the look out for such things could spot it out in the field.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I want one.
    I can’t afford one.

I’m not unfit or sick or old.

mm93
    Free Member

I want one.
    Will definitely get one in the future to go alongside the normal bikes.

nealglover
    Free Member

Or get more better informed staff.

thepodge
    Free Member

tomhoward – I would have thought if we can suss it out from a description on a forum, a trail centre staffer who is on the look out for such things could spot it out in the field.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen any trail centre staff out looking for motorbikes, is that really a thing?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘E-bike riders’ is closed to new replies.