• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • E-vent
  • Merak

I’m needing a new jacket, my E-vent has been at best unreliable it’s Rab fwiw.

Any Gore Tex recommendations? like to try something new.

RicB

Mine was like that- re proofing etc did nothing. Then I ironed it. Like new now 🙂

Mugboo

Interested in this myself. I’ve been struggling to reproof mine too.

Please tell us more?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve heard you’re supposed to ruff ’em up in the tumble drier.

Merak

I’ve ironed and it is slightly better after bit still wets out.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Ironing them on a low heat or tumble drying them helps to reactivate the membrane. If don’t properly, it’s an important part of the re proofing process. Should be done with GoreTex too.

It’s worth using something decent when reproofing too: NikWax. Have a GoreTex and an Event jacket… never had an issue with either wetting-put when staying on top of reproofing.

RicB

I reproofed, then ironed on a medium heat with no steam. Water beads off like its brand new, although I do have slightly embarrassing creases in the sleeves 😕

Spin
    Free Member

As I understand it ironing reactivates the DWR finish not the membrane. So basically, the fabric isn’t waterproof and relies on the DWR finish to make it so.

I see this as a fault in a supposedly waterproof jacket.

loddrik
    Free Member

All waterproof jackets have flaws. Decent goretex is still pretty boil in the bag. Paramo (which I love) isn’t but is hopeless without regular reproofing. You pays your money….

slowoldman

What’s the problem? My RAB event has been fine.

scotroutes

I don’t think that’s quite correct.

The membrane is waterproof but having a soaked-through outer fabric means that no vapour can escape so you end up wet from the inside out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All waterproof jackets have flaws.

Agreed.

For me, the hassle of tending to eVent is nothing compared to the improved breathability. Hell, unlike Gore, it actually breathes, even when it’s wet! (After all, when it’s pissing down and your jacket is done up to the neck, that’s when breathability is more important, and that’s exactly where Gore falls down).

It’s a shame that so many people just assume that GoreTex = waterproof/breathable, and that’s Gore’s attitude to market protection precludes anyone making gear in multiple fabrics across their ranges. See also Lowe’s long defunct, but excellent, Triple Point Ceramic.

Waterproof? Breathable? A bin bag is waterproof. Pertex is superbly breathable, and windproof and a real favourite of mine. eVent strikes the best balance of both for me.

Spin
    Free Member

The membrane is waterproof but having a soaked-through outer fabric means that no vapour can escape so you end up wet from the inside out.

That might be the case with Goretex but event definitely leaks when not proofed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘E-vent’ is closed to new replies.