Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • E-bikes on a plane
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Happy new year folks,

The Mrs is pricing up an e-bike and I’m wondering if there are any implications of taking one on a plane. I’ve searched a little online and found contradicting info. Just wondering if anyone has any experince of taking one abroad? Any issues / considerations?

Cheers

James

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can you pack it under 32kg?

Rich_s

Is this the sequel? Who’s starring in it?

Surely Sbike on a plane would be a better working title.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Sbikes on a plane, or not as the case may be!

Looking at the model she’s looking at, I think we may just sneek in under 32kg including the case.

wwaswas

Is this the sequel?

That was my first thought 🙂

OP: Find out what the airline’s policy is on Li-Ion batteries – they may have to be taken as hand luggage (or not!).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think we may just sneek in under 32kg including the case.

Remember 32kg is a hard limit. Bits have to come off and out of the bag if it’s over that – and some will have a 23kg piece concept for extra bags too.

Batteries will be a general rule but different airlines will interpret things differently – see the stupid powered bags at the moment.

dovebiker

I’ve mistakenly left li-ion batteries in my hold bags before and upon unpacking found I had to pay for an expensive courier service to have them repatriated. Given the potential energy contained in an e-bike battery pack, I wonder whether security / airlines are going to be comfortable with something that can be quite easily converted into an incendiary device to be allowed in the cabin?

DezB
    Free Member

Think of the poor baggage handlers! I reckon hiring one at the other end would be far more practical. An eBike would be like a freight item rather than a passenger oversized job.

CraigW
    Free Member

For lithium ion batteries, depends on the capacity. If its more than 160Wh, it is not allowed, in either the hold or carry on luggage. This is a rule from the IATA, so would apply to just about all airlines.

DezB
    Free Member

or maybe it comes under

Powered wheelchairs and mobility aids
    If you have a battery-powered wheelchair or mobility aid which you wish to take on the aircraft, you need to contact your airline to let them know. This is because battery-powered devices can be a fire risk on board aircraft, and the airline will need to disable the battery before the flight takes off.

😉

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Although the battery capacity is 400wh, it consists of multiple cells so I think each cell come in under the maximum…

Sounds like it could be a lottery. Mobility aid perhaps!

Yes just checked – 36v is 10 cells of 3.6v. So each battery is only 40wh

wwaswas

So each battery is only 40wh

If you can carry them through individually you *might* get away with it.

If they’re bundled together into what most people would see as ‘a battery’ (ie in the same way a laptop battery is multiple cells) then you may be disappointed.

brant
    Free Member

I just bought a 500w Shimano ebike battery and it was shipped from Europe with clear markings to only be carried on a cargo plane.

The sticker is brilliant

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fzT4D9Oner6WbkXE3

TheBrick
    Free Member

All batteries are made from multiple cells, is who they are linked and packaged.

cookeaa
    RobHilton
    Free Member

Remember 32kg is a hard limit. Bits have to come off and out of the bag if it’s over that

It’s supposed to be, but I’ve known someone take a 38kg bike bag through once he’d produced his wallet.

What was in it? Everything!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘E-bikes on a plane’ is closed to new replies.