Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • E-bike vs beard rage….
  • joebristol

Cycling home from work along the Bristol to Bath cycle track tonight I was getting drafted up the main slog by a man with a beard in Lycra. Seems to be a frequent occurrence giving people a tow up the hill.

Got to a bit where the track flattens out and the beard decided that was a good point to pass me – in fairness he gave me plenty of room as he went past.

It was at that point a slightly chubby man on an electric mountain bike almost elbowed beardman out of the way in his hurry to get past. The ebike was in no way limited to 15mph as both beardy and I were on carbon fibre racers and I was in the big ring at the front and about halfway down the block at the back and spinning.

Beardman took exception and put the hammer down tail-gating the ebike and giving him a piece of his mind at the same time. Sadly I couldn’t keep up so didn’t hear the full ‘debate’.

It definitely isn’t good sport having a derestricted ebike.

martinhutch

It definitely isn’t good sport having a derestricted ebike.

Sounds like it was good sport for beard-man.

vincienup
    Free Member

Maybe we could pinch the Foxhunt idea from the ladies and give the Fox an ebike? 😆

funkmasterp

Was it a good beard?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Did the beard continue to unleash the suitcase of pain until batteryboy ran out of charge?

kelron
    Free Member

Slightly OT question, is drafting random strangers accepted as normal on the road? It’s happened to me before and I find it very disconcerting.

simondbarnes

Slightly OT question, is drafting random strangers accepted as normal on the road?

It’s about as acceptable as being tailgated when driving as far as I’m concerned.

anagallis_arvensis

is drafting random strangers accepted as normal on the road

Yes, unless their riding is erratic

eskay

kelron – Member
    Slightly OT question, is drafting random strangers accepted as normal on the road? It’s happened to me before and I find it very disconcerting.

No, it is weird.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s not that weird. I certainly don’t mind being draughted as long as they make it known they are there. If they have a go on the front too then that’s a bonus. Having someone behind can also be a motivator to pedal that bit harder.

metalheart
    Free Member

Best option is to stand up on the climb and not do the drive through so as you momentarily ‘stop’ and the guy behind will hit your back wheel (or learn not to ride too close).

Or least I got an earful when I did this on a Sunday club run once…. 😳

Roadie tip 😆

eskay

Mister P – that is the correct etiquette, the problem nowadays though is that you frequently pick up a phantom tailgater. This is particularly prevalent on the bath – bristol path.

Joe – was it a bike with flat handlebars? ??I quite often see on pacing along there making quite a whirring sound!

sirromj

weirdy beardy wierd

davosaurusrex

Last year I was 25 odd miles into a 37 mile ride home from work on an otherwise deserted country lane when some guy hooked onto my back wheel. Tried to say hello a couple of times but he ignored me and then after about 5 minutes overtook and dropped me when we got to a climb. That was both rude and weird I thought. And annoying as I had nothing left and had to let him go!

mickmcd
    Free Member

is drafting random strangers accepted as normal on the road

Is brake checking?

joebristol

When I say hill it’s a slight gradient for a few miles. Not with standing up for.

Checked Strava and I averaged about 18mph on the section the e bike went past on – and he went by like I wasn’t moving.

Didn’t hear what it sounded like as I had headphones in once I was on the cycle track. I’m pretty sure it was a flat bar mountain bike type of thing.

Often find I get someone hooking a tow on the cycle track – I feel guilty if I try it to a stranger so normally just overtake if I catch someone or keep a few metres back.

Klunk
    Free Member

Last year I was 25 odd miles into a 37 mile ride home from work on an otherwise deserted country lane when some guy hooked onto my back wheel. Tried to say hello a couple of times but he ignored me and then after about 5 minutes overtook and dropped me when we got to a climb. That was both rude and weird I thought. And annoying as I had nothing left and had to let him go!

I enjoyed that day 🙂

falkirk-mark

Get the phlegm out your throat and launch it over you shoulder if they get annoyed say soz didn’t realise you were there

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘E-bike vs beard rage….’ is closed to new replies.