• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • e-bike for Cancellara!
  • grtdkad

“Fabian Cancellara: UCI could investigate Swiss rider over hidden motor accusations”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/41937446

Here we go. Reasonable if there’s genuine tangible evidence I guess.

taxi25
    Free Member

When you watch the footage, his accelerations don’t look natural at all, like he’s having trouble staying on the top of the pedals,” American rider Gaimon wrote in his autobiography ‘Draft Animals’.

Not exactly new evidence, just opinion 🙄

pondo

Bit of a shitty nothing story – what are they going to investigate, whether Canc had trouble staying on top of his pedals? Can they use IR on footage that’s already been filmed?

fossy

OK..

Get this. World Champion TT Rider can ride off the front on a bike race ?

He is a powerful rider, no skinny minny. Cobbles suit the big powerful lot – he just needed a gap !

Also watch his descents – good god he can ride.

The guy was just about the fastest bloke on the planet at the time, and given a good gap on a cobbled ride would get away. Froome wouldn’t as he is a bean pole.

fossy

It was a crap story at the time

grenosteve
    Free Member

Chris Froome

Professional Road Racing Cyclist

Christopher Clive Froome, OBE is a British road racing cyclist for UCI ProTeam Team Sky. He is the reigning Tour de France and Vuelta a España champion and one of the most successful riders in the history of the Tour, having won it four times – in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. He is a bean pole.

😀

NormalMan

However Fabian did admit last week he rides a Trek ebike to the shops!

I’m not joking either.

ton

a ebike in 2010 will not have given him much help. I owned one then.

they were crap. 😆

grtdkad

😆

grtdkad

…it does make you wonder why they’re trawling this back up again. “new evidence”?

jambalaya
    Free Member

could the laziest word in journalism.

@ton 🙂

tthew

Can they use IR on footage that’s already been filmed?

No. Standard camera’s don’t record infrared wavelengths, so not possible.

chakaping
    Free Member

…it does make you wonder why they’re trawling this back up again. “new evidence”?

Most likely to be someone spilling the beans.

If there were any beans in the first place, of course.

scotroutes

Most likely to be someone spilling the beans with A book to promote.

🙂

dovebiker

I would suspect Cancellara was juiced, whether it was him or the bike – he spent most of career with teams / DS with ‘dodgy’ pasts such as Fassa / CSC. A lot of riders take extra ‘preparation’ for 1-day races like P-Rx so the notion that a ‘clean’ rider can simply ride off the front of a peloton including the likes of Quick Step starts getting into the realms of fantasy.

flange
    Free Member

Having recently read Phil Gaimons book, there’s significant sentiment in it that Spartacus was possibly e-doping. I’d written it off as nonsense until he mentioned it.

Gaimon, in his book, says Cancellara’s actions that year raised suspicions even in the pro peloton, with the Swiss star rumoured to have been keeping his own mechanic and his bike separate from the rest of his team.

“When you watch the footage, his accelerations don’t look natural at all, like he’s having trouble staying on the top of the pedals. That f**** probably did have a motor,” Gaimon wrote in the book.

However in this article he claims its clickbait…
    Confused

The Secret Pro over on cyclingtips alludes to the new UCI president looking into serious issues that aren’t really issues at all and I do wonder if he was referring to this.

chakaping
    Free Member

Gaimon is just saying that he thinks Cancellara may well have been at it in the past, but nobody would dare to try it at the top level now.

jonnyboi

I like Phil Gaimon’s attitude. doesn’t he go out and nick KOM’s from dopers now?

Think I’ll buy his book.

flange
    Free Member

His book is ace, I really enjoyed it. It’s also pretty frank and he has no issues calling people out – I’d imagine he’s not made many friends in the Pro tour as a result

thomthumb
    Free Member

Canc had trouble staying on top of his pedals?

i don’t get this bit – having ridden e bikes it’s not suddenly as if the cadence goes to 160 when the power kicks in?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m not joking either.

So you were at Sigma Sport when he did his talk as well then? 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Non story, it’s just the new incumbent of the UCI flexing his muscles. Claiming he’ll “clamp down” (again? oh how novel) and to justify a new App for them all to play with.

Quite why cycling has this backward looking mentality is quite beyond me, the original investigation concluded nothing so why go back and re-investigate it? Unless they’re using it as a Model Process to follow or improve upon.

km79
    Free Member

Can they use IR on footage that’s already been filmed?

No. Standard camera’s don’t record infrared wavelengths, so not possible. [/quote]Not even with enhance?

philjunior
    Free Member

When you watch the footage, his accelerations don’t look natural at all, like he’s having trouble staying on the top of the pedals,”

So I assume from his success and pedaling “style” that Froome’s been at the mechanical doping too?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Old conspiracy theory dragged up to drive book sales. He’s already backpedalling on Twitter saying it’s not “his” theory and it’s been around for years (which it has).

It’s also pretty frank and he has no issues calling people out

apart from his BFF Tom Danielson, who he believes was innocent when he got busted for doping second time around because, hey, they were roomies and he didn’t seem that kind of guy 🙄

And I’ve never read anything The Secret Pro’s written that any half-interested armchair enthusiast couldn’t come up with, at least the SHEcret pro genuinely reads like it’s written by a current racer.

jameso

So I assume from his success and pedaling “style” that Froome’s been at the mechanical doping too?

Oh sure : ) Like when he went up Ventoux with Sky-verified power and HR data that showed him dropping Contador and hitting over 400W while his HR didn’t rise more than 3bpm? Clearly motorised, right? : )

Hard to believe anyone’s daft enough to rig up a motor and use it like that when SRM data was being transmitted. But that was the assumption from many.

wwaswas

They were quite subtle changes ot allow him to carry a battery pack, I’m not surprised they were missed.

NormalMan

notmyrealname – Member
    I’m not joking either.

So you were at Sigma Sport when he did his talk as well then?

Guilty as charged 😉

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8zPbXWw-uo[/video]

jonnyboi

Really enjoying his book so far, but the bit on cancellara is a blink and you’ll miss it paragraph. Although he does accuse him of being a doper.

paton
    Free Member

Riding away from Boonen!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6z7uUe0tVA[/video]

nickc

Riding away from Boonen

I tend to think that was Boonen running out of steam rather than Cancellara switching on his hidden motor.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘e-bike for Cancellara!’ is closed to new replies.