Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • E bay – posting a frame abroad – why not?
  • nostoc
    Free Member

I seem to remember hearing about scams involving doing this.
    Is there any reason I shouldn't accept bids from abroad as long as money is in my paypal/bank account before posting and post is insured?

roper
    Free Member

Well I live "abroad" and have bought and sold with the UK.
    Paypal are normally the thieves.

awh
    Free Member

I posted some tyres to France, the buyer asked me about doing this before the auction finished and what the P&P would be. I seam to remember the option we agreed on was virtually the same price as UK 1st class recorded so I didn't change it. Money went into my PayPal quickly and I sent them from my local Post Office. Easy!

geoffj

There is a scam where the foreign buyer insists on cheapest, non recorded postage. Says the item hasn't arrived and files a dispute with eBay and paypal. Make sure they pay for a signed and insured service.

smudge
    Free Member

check here nostic. The buyer may be 100% genuine, could you not ask him to pay by bank transfer instead? It seems so easy for paypal to take the 'buyers' side and they then get youre item for free! The get out seems is the 'buyer' doesnt respond to emails saying if they have or have not received the item.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Paypal can be reversed, cheque cancelled, transfer seems the only safe option. And as said before, make sure it's insured.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Bank transfer is as secure as you can get. Except in exceptional circumstances it cannot be reversed, and the buyer simply can't say to the bank that he hasn't got the goods and wants his money back. They won't send it back without your permission. Only problem might be with eBay, who IIRC insist that all payments are made through Paypal. Could do with someone challenging this in court – is it unfair practice?

uplink
    Free Member

Ebay don't insist you're paid with Paypal they just insist you offer it

Hairychested
    Free Member

Well, yes. But it also bans you from stating your preferred method of payment. One issue with international transfers is the fee of around 20 Euro which the seller would need to pay. They're given 3 options as to who pays it (them 100%, you 100% or 50% each) but in other countries it often is automatically deducted 50/50 from both parties.

Marge
    Free Member

There are thieves everywhere? Posting is posting regardless of destination (other than cost of course)?

I'm also based overseas & have just bought a frame off here as it happens.

I think the same sensible precautions are needed.
    I'm a regular on here as is the seller so hopefully that gives some confidence. Had some good clear communication with the seller with a work email address.
    I'd certainly be more nervous about selling to someone without an online 'presence'.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Who do you use for posting frames overseas? I had someone ask about shipping to Europe on a frame I'm selling at the moment, but Parcelforce looked like it was going to be extertionate and there didn't look to be a decent Royal Mail option.

djglover
    Free Member

If the buyer has a confirmed address go ahead, otherwise avoid like the plague IME. I posted a specialized demo to portugal, never arrived apparently. Took over 6 months to get the money out of Parcel Force, by which time paypal were persuing legal routes for the reclaimed cash through paypal

cookeaa

I don’t sell abroad, no logistical reasons; I’m just an out and out Xenophobe…

Sell to UK bidders only, don’t let those foreign devils take our worn out bicycle parts!

Is It me of is everything on fleabay overpriced anyway these days?

geoffj

I guess the weak £ makes some of our stuff cheaper to European buyers, but for the sake of a few quid difference between a sale to a uk or European address, I couldn't be bothered with all the faff.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i posted my frame abroad. Made sure it was fully tracked and insured and they paid for all the extrac costs involved. No more effort than posting in the UK really. Had no problems.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘E bay – posting a frame abroad – why not?’ is closed to new replies.