Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dynamo cable routing…
  • ratherbeintobago

Anyone any suggestions for routing dynamo wires on a suspension fork, that looks neater cable ties?

steezysix
    Free Member

I run mine up the right leg, over the fork crown to the other side, then tape it to the disc brake cable. It needs a fairly long wire, but looks a lot neater than having the wire flapping loose up to the handlebars.

ratherbeintobago

Thanks – how do you secure the cable to the fork leg?

steezysix
    Free Member

It’s not ideal, but I just use white electrical tape (white fork lowers). I’d prefer a nicer look – on my touring bike I’ve got heat shrink tubing over the whole leg, but it’s not really possible on chunky suspension forks.

coatesy
    Free Member

Recently worked on a fork that was specifically designed for dynamo wiring, it was tapped on the back to take a plastic channel for housing the wires. A bit of imagination could see something similar from a diy store being stuck on the back instead of screwed on.

Daffy

Use the DI2 wiring strips. There’s loads of colours and it looks neat and tidy.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Ha. I just had this same question and really tidied mine up, by running the cable down through the fork steerer using a bmx giro stem cap. Works a treat and the cable is out of the way.

I then use rubber o rings to secure the cable to the fork.

Hollow stem cap star nut

ratherbeintobago

I just had this same question and really tidied mine up, by running the cable down through the fork steerer using a bmx giro stem cap.

I was wondering about that, too – I’d worked out I could get a hollow SFN but didn’t know about top caps.

ratherbeintobago

top caps

Like these?

flanagaj
    Free Member

Similar. The link in my post shows you the cap. On reflection I think that one looks neater as the hex bolt is inset rather than proud like the one I purchased.

Still, I think both provide a neater solution to routing the cable

PhilO
    Free Member

Do you have any problems with the cable when the fork compresses? Any special measures needed to keep it off the tyre?

I run mine up the right leg, over the fork crown to the other side, then tape it to the disc brake cable. It needs a fairly long wire, but looks a lot neater than having the wire flapping loose up to the handlebars.

This is also my current arrangement, although I use a bIt of spiral cable wrap rather than tape for securing to the hose ( you can also just wrap the wire around the house if you have enough length). Self-adhesive hose guides would be a neat solution to fixing to the lower fork legs, but I just use cable ties.

ratherbeintobago

Do you have any problems with the cable when the fork compresses? Any special measures needed to keep it off the tyre?

I’d have thought as the cable is a thin piece of wire it shouldn’t be too much of a problem?

I know the RS Turncoat had a specific warning about the wheel hitting the bottom of it, but it looks like it leaves a fairly big lump sticking out of the bottom of the steerer.

PhilO
    Free Member

I was more thinking of the loop of slack cable that’ll form when the fork compresses, and the possibility of it snagging the tyre tread.

flatfish
    Free Member

Liking the top cap idea.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dynamo cable routing…’ is closed to new replies.