Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Dyfi 2010 – UK's hardest single day event?
  • ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Tough tough tough.

Field to field: 38.15 miles 6144 ft of climbing

Did it in 2008 but this year was definitely harder.

Awesome, seat of the pants decents-the drop off the ridgeline was one of the most technical I've ever done.

Honourable mentions:

The Cheerleaders

Bloke blowing chunks at the peak of the moorland climb

Team Cheese

Old fella for pooing in the woods!

The chaps having wine and olives by the trailside towards the end

All the single speeders (you are truly nuts!)

Cannondale tandemers

Did Nick Craig win? He was back at home when I came in.

TheSwede
    Free Member

All the single speeders (you are truly nuts!)

Walking like John Wayne today but thanks 😉

tazzymtb

that was probably the swede as well given his earlier post

walla24
    Free Member

aye that was fun, world cup descent rocked!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Just sorting the photos, which will be available at http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk – maybe tomorrow, or possibly Wednesday – searchable by rider number.

Just looking at the pics, Johnny Pugh was first over the line and Nick Craig was second. If the clock was right on my assistant's camera then they finished at 13.43 and 13.49 respectively. Last finisher, who would have done the shortened course, was at 17.29

chiefP
    Free Member

That was brutal to say the least, every bit of downhill punished by long fire roads but the world cup decent was the only one i remember out of all the singletracks because it was awsome 🙂

Someone said it was 80% Forest road and 20% singletrack 😯 so in the end i was just happy to finish and start the post ride party last night 8)

Now im off to strip down my bike in an attempt to clean all that mud 🙄

mttm
    Free Member

Field to field: 38.15 miles 6144 ft of climbing

Does this mean you have a GPS track of the route? Mine turned itself off five miles in 😥 . I'd really like to get hold of the route if possible?

njm

The endless fireroad climbs are what kill me about the Dyfi. Especially the evil one right at the end this year. I was impressed by how different the course was to two years ago. Does it always change this much?

ginsterdrz – I didn't get the Lantern Rouge this time, did you? I'm guessing you were somewhere near me if you saw the folks having wine and olives at the end. "Anyone for tapas?" they asked as we went past 🙂

I left the forest at about 16:45.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I was shooting on the WC run and took lots of pics like this one of Nick Craig.

That was taken just above the point it turned into this.

Also shot quite a lot of stuff before the finish like this.

Plus usual finish shots and some other bits and pieces.

(and the reason I'm not currently adding numbers to pics is because I'm waiting for another gallery to upload)

TheSwede
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

that was probably the swede as well given his earlier post
    Oi watch it. I'm 34. my mate rosie said he was caught short though. Now that would have been a sight.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Sorry – which bit was the 'world cup' descent then? Was it that mentally steep bit on the ridge?

greyspoke
    Free Member

Hi ginsterdrz and njm, that was Team Tapas nice to meet you both. Olives and charcuterie really are good trail food, you should have tried some. We were going to rendezvous with Team Cheese, but messed it up a bit.

The course did seem climbier than last year, but worth the jumpy/steep/rocky descent (presumably that has something to do with a world cup?)

Surfr
    Free Member

Yup the world cup descent is the ridgeline descent with a steep finish to fire road which then descended a little further to tarmac road.
    Here's a few photos I took whilsdt oing a recce on Friday:

Starts shallow, with lose earth and rock and a couplf of kickers

Then starts to point down a bit steeper:

Photo doesn't do the steepness justice:

There's a few GPS logs on Garmin connect now

http://connect.garmin.com/explore#activityType=all&eventType=all&activitySummarySumDistance-unit=mile&activitySummarySumDuration-unit=hour&activitySummaryGainElevation-unit=foot&bbMaxLat=52.72776788296857&bbMaxLong=-3.6872863769531246&bbMinLat=52.58010526979777&bbMinLong=-3.9993667602539062&sortField=relevance&currentPage=1

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

ginsterdrz – I didn't get the Lantern Rouge this time, did you? I'm guessing you were somewhere near me if you saw the folks having wine and olives at the end. "Anyone for tapas?" they asked as we went past

I wasn't last either. Not sure what time we left the forest but it was around 5hrs 50mins. My overall was 6:23mins and well chuffed to have just made it round. Bit creaky today though!

Does this mean you have a GPS track of the route? Mine turned itself off five miles in . I'd really like to get hold of the route if possible?

I've got an Edge 305 with the route recorded. Never downloaded a route from it but I'll read up and post it or email to you.

Team Tapas – Top quality and very civilised. Idea forming for next year…..Team Guinness!

Surfr
    Free Member

R.e Nick Craig, it looks like he had a mechanical at the feedstation

Looks like he picked up a scratch on the arm too

singlespeedstu

vdubber67 – Member

Sorry – which bit was the 'world cup' descent then?

That'd be this bit then.

http://www.youtube.com/user/singlespeedstu2#p/u/1/lUtSJTIUkMc

foxyrider
    Free Member

Fantastic descents even if some of them were several trackstands in a row waiting for people and then nicking off past 🙂 Great atmosphere as always and perfect weather and surprisingly pretty much all ridable and pretty dry TBH.
    Got back in 4hrs 19mins so await the results.

BTW – You can download my garmin GPS route from Garmin Connect : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32072358

Picto
    Free Member

Thats me at the bottom of the mad descent resplendent in yellow and black.
    Wish I had gone down it as quickly as singlespeedstu.

Surfr
    Free Member

Fraz just mentioned on facebook that Nick Craig had 2 flats and the cuts were just from brambles

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Second time doing the enduro, great course really enjoyed the scary downhill, anyone for golf? 😉
    time worse than last year as waited at the food station for an age for a rider who had already dropped out! Doh!

Rorschach
    Free Member

singlespeedstu-good elbows my son!!!

orena45

My second Dyfi as well – enjoyed it more this year than last – for me, some how it didn't feel as bad as last year despite me being less fit than last year…still finished right at the back as expected tho!

Rightplacerighttime – not sure if was you but I reckon someone got an awesome photo of me on the last descent at the end of the day 8) Looking forward to seeing the gallery later in the week!

Oh yeah…and World Cup Descent was 'rad to the gnar'…just wish I wasn't forced to take a breather half way down after bashing my nuts against the saddle. I'm calling that downhill 'The Nutcraker' from now on 🙂

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I'd like to offer apologies to anyone woken by terrible drunken guitar playing on the campsite on saturday night – the pull of the local hostelry proved too much and overwhelmed our resolve/'talent' (thanks Skinner's Arms, friendly locals, fortyniner ale and the 2 Irish riders Mark and Jason who totally outdrank us).

Apologies also to Nick Craig and family who parked their caravan next to us – he said it was unusual to open the curtains on a beautiful sunny morning to be greeted by the sight of a bloke on hands and knees being sick in the grass behind his tent, but was more than willing to take the p1s5 and offer encouragement. ("bad pint, was it?")

Still – hangover from hell, 2 punctures and a crash aside we still went round in under 4.5 hrs. Awesome organization as ever, superb course – the WC descent was nuts! Cheers to all involved – see you next year.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

orena45

Often when someone says I must have got an awesome photo of them, it turns out I haven't as they were doing something that I wasn't expecting – however if you can't find your pic when I put the event live, let me know and I'll see if I can find the image of your back wheel or whatever I got in my trash file.

turnercraig
    Free Member

So you won't have taken the picture of me doing a no handed backflip then??

orena45

Rightplacerighttime – he he…can't wait 😆

frazjones

hey bullandbladder i was clearing the camping field this morning,and found your little gift by nick's van,thanks mate!

Rorschach
    Free Member

The gap jump at the top of the wc descent bit my back wheel!!

Some how it didnt collapse and despite being tubelass did'nt leak air!?
    Maybe 20lb rigid 29ers are'nt too good at this "freeride" stuff after all 😐

njm

> I wasn't last either. Not sure what time we left the forest but it was
    > around 5hrs 50mins. My overall was 6:23mins and well chuffed to have just > made it round. Bit creaky today though!

It was around 5hrs 45mins for me. Our vague notions of a ride today got swiftly abandoned this morning due to creaks 🙂

sc-xc

Rorschach
    Free Member

😀 mint

mttm
    Free Member

Thanks to those who posted the various Garmin Connect links – just what I was after. I've got a family holiday planned in the area in July, and wanted to plot out some suitable routes.

fbk
    Free Member

Another fantastic course and a great day. Friendly, helpful marshalls, the usual band/cheer-leaders, great food at the feed station and spot on weather, if a little damp under tyre 🙂

By far the hardest year for me but more due to personal reasons than the course. Being close to the back had it's advantages though with a relatively clear run at most of the descents and some (on the whole) great banter 🙂

Bring on 2011

orena45

Hmmm, according to my Garmin GPS plot I climbed over 7000m yesterday 😯

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

NICK CRAIG IN TUBES SCANDAL!

Bl**dy h*ll mate its 2010-get with it-go tubeless.

That's the only advice I'll ever be able to give to the MTB Legend that is Sir Nicholas.

The Dyfi downhills are brutal and I'm not the slickest downhiller but I've managed to do it twice on Stans love juice and none lust Maxxis tyres.

I didn't count but there were loads of unfortunates mending punctures out there AND I didn't see one CO2 pump either-everyone was making like Popeye.

Mole
    Free Member

Hey Bullandbladder, i was with the family in the caravan in front of Nick Craig's- just about dropping off when you started "tuning" your guitar..even my teenage daughter found it amusing coz you were so shocking, asked Nick C if it was him the day after,said he didn't hear a thing. Stuff like that make the event for me, not many left with a similar vibe.

orena45

Quite a few photos gone up on the Facebook group already – Here

mafu26
    Free Member

first time i rode the event. absolutely loved it. really enjoy techy riding and it was some of the best i've ever seen.

that first climb went on forever but felt amazing to climb along the ridge. a guy on a blue orange 5 flew past me on the decent immediately afterwards, was amazed at the speed and control he had but was gutted to see him get a puncture at the bottom. fair play to you if your on here! i noticed how much harder the full sussers were taking the decents. was really impressed.

beer was awesome, bands were awesome, food was awesome. defo on it next year!

edit: how much of the course will be open permanently? can we ride the 'world cup' decent line?

Suburbanlife
    Free Member

Just plain awesome. I'm bruised and battered but still smiling through the pain. One of the best enduro events out there. Full respect to the cotic riding single speeder from S.Wales who kept up an awesome pace. I just made the cut off and got rewarded with an additional climb!!!!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

The gap jump at the top of the wc descent bit my back wheel!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5290959&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=30137887555&id=645028133 This is you isn't it? My bonked brain seems to remember your face! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi 2010 – UK's hardest single day event?’ is closed to new replies.