Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DX light from deal extreme… pro and cons please.
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all,

i know ive asked before about lights but before i go and spend some of my hard earned on this light i just wanted see if there were any opinions on it.

is the newer silver bodied version worth the extra cash or should i just stick to the original version ?

what are the common faults with them ?

how long do the batteries last ?

what are the charge times like ?

all opinions welcome

cheers

steve

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

pulls up a chair

original or new silver one?
    thanks DTD

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

forum search?

rockhopper70

The original one is fine…..just waterproof the battery.

takisawa2

Or buy the SKU12060 torch.
    And avoid the battery pack issues. 😉

IainAhh
    Free Member

I have a DX light and a torch.
    I found them pretty good. And very good for the price.
    Like the above post I got a better bag to put the battery in.

Been using the light mainly for commuting offroad where there are no street lights. About an hour a day the battery lasts the week. I ended up not needing to use the torch for normal biking but grand as a regular torch and the battery lasts for ages. p.s. The torch has a touch metal casing.

BenjiM

Where the cable connects on mine the connection has come loose so I’ve had to buy a new battery. This has happened at every point. Wire going in to battery and wire going into light. It would appear that the connection into the battery went first.

Other than that not so bad. This could be prevented with the plastidip method though I think.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have the new silver one winging its way to me as we speak. I doubt anyone else has them yet as they just came out. So you might struggle on reports.

….well apart from people who got the same light, diff battery, from Spokeshirts.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have the silver version with the battery level meter, but its got the rubber band handlebar mount, which is fine on the road bike, but doesn’t stay still on the rough stuff.
    It took just over 2 weeks to arrive, which was pretty good.

Jamie
    Free Member

I doubt anyone else has them yet as they just came out. So you might struggle on reports.

I have the silver version with the battery level meter

I’ll just shut up then 😉

enmac
    Free Member

I put the battery pack in a sealable plastic bag and it lasted last winter fine. The handlebar mount (the o-ring version) broke on about the 2nd ride, but I have epoxyed the light to a old Joystick mount I had which seems to work OK. The light is fine but I would willingly spent a few pounds more for better quality fittings.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

IainAhh – Member
    I have a DX light and a torch.
    I found them pretty good. And very good for the price.
    Like the above post I got a better bag to put the battery in.

Can I ask which bag you upgraded to, thanks?

bruneep

Ewan
    Free Member

I have the old one with the old battery, which has been faultless for a year in snow, rain, etc. As others have noted waterproof the battery for extra protection (I used gaffer tape and clingfilm).

I also have the new old one (i.e. new battery and old head unit – although the old head unit has clearly been changed a bit – it’s got different status LED modes for one thing – I presume it’s got the internals from the silver one). I’ve only used it twice so far, but it seems fine and i’ve no reason to think it won’t last as well as the first one has.

For the price I can’t recommend them high enough, to be perfectly honest i can’t see why anyone would buy anything else. They work, they’re well made, they’re bright, and they’re cheap.

stumpy01

I’ve got the Spokeshirts version and so far (in a week and a half) it seems fine.
    Helmet mount works well, although I removed the velcro and replaced it with removable zip-ties.
    The bike mount is good as well as you can position it right near the stem and have the light sat above the stem. It seems sturdy enough.
    It also comes with an extension lead, which’ll allow the battery to reach your camelbak, but probably not your jersey pocket. I haven’t tried it, but imagine it would be a stretch.

I think the low mode on the spokeshirts one is lower than the DX one – 30% power giving 9hrs runtime.
    There’s some beam shots on a thread I started a last week if you click on me and look at the threads I’ve started.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

not just any poly bag upgrade …………………….
    its a M&Spoly bag upgrade!!!!!!!!!!

thanks very much for taking the time to reply

i think i will go with the original with new battery thanks

neninja
    Free Member

I’m eagerly awaiting the new silver DX one I ordered. Only a week so far so at least another week to go I guess.

cp

took two weeks for my silver one to go from order to despatch, so guess at least another week now for delivery…

IainAhh
    Free Member

Its a fabric bag with a vecro srtip to strap it to the stem.
    From Lumicycle See:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-lumicycle-bag-for-a-dx-battery

http://www.lumicycle.com/product/132/bag/battery-bags-for-li-ion-batteries.html

Although the don’t seem to do the small elite one anymore (thats the one I have I think.)

I would also go for a plasic bag if really wet.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DX light from deal extreme… pro and cons please.’ is closed to new replies.