Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DW link 5 spot. Tight linkages..
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just pulling apart my new to me 5 spot. Stripped greased and rebuilt the main top rocker so far but it seems too tight. Had to tap the pivot in with a hammer and it takes a lot of force to pivot the rocker. Normal?

renton
    Free Member

Is it a new frame or had new bushings and journals.

I used to find new bushes and journals incredibly stiff to start with but Dave Turner himself suggested sanding them down a bit to loosen it up.

Try not to hammer the metal bits through the journals as you can splay the ends a bit.

I used very fine sand paper wrapped around a drill bit and sanded down the inside of the Bush a bit.

Normally worked a treat.

tmb467
    Free Member

Was it stiff before?

Have you ovalised anything by over tightening / extracting?

Have you greased it once it was fitted?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yupp was stiff. Extracted via longer bolt screwed into threads of axle and tapped out. All the Journals are original. Reading a thread on mtbr as above seems sanding is called for :/

renton
    Free Member

It’s ok to do and makes a world of difference

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

All my dw turners have had tight bushes, especially the DW link pivots, the last of which was ‘bastard tight’.

I’ve gotten mightily fed up ‘honing’ the bushes every time I change them – especially since they don’t seem to last half as well as they used to on the HL 5spot I had for nearly 7 years, so before I installed the last set of new bushes, I ‘honed’ the actual frame, taking it steady with a fine bit of wet and dry wrapped around a bit of dowel. Now I can just put the bloody things in and it’ll run as it should have been running from the factory from the outset.

I have to say, the last couple of times I’ve contacted turner about excessive wear and creaking, their legendary customer service has been below par. It’s getting to the point that I can’t see any benefits to owning a turner above any other kind of decent bike out there. My last set of bushes and pivots lasted less time than most of my friends bearings.

Vortexracing

Reading a thread on mtbr as above seems sanding is called for

or get some PUSH ones, they work a treat

leegee

Do push still make them, I can’t see them on their site?

bennn
    Free Member

I have the same issue, with the shock out, it is slightly stiff to get the swingarm moving from the bottom of its travel, but once past the initial sticking point, pretty free.

I’ve actually emailed Turner US this week about it but not had a reply yet.

I had looked at the PUSH low friction bushes, but TF Tuned who used to stock them have none for the DW (but have HL) and PUSH aren’t very forthcoming with re-stocking them, by my interpretation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DW link 5 spot. Tight linkages..’ is closed to new replies.