Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • DVD System for Rear of Vehicle
  • SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi guys anyone use one of these for the kids (or wife) we just ordered new car but refuse to pay silly money for rear DVD system. The dealer had an aftermarket system for sale at £299 but not sure if any good or not, so thought I would ask prior to purchase of one.

molgrips
    Free Member

You'll need to be more specific…

docrobster
    Free Member

a pair of these does the same thing for less

iainc

some goods deals on twin screen ones at Amazon – we got a pair for £120 a few months ago.

freddyg
    Free Member

I recently bought a twin screen system from e-bay. £100 for a refurbished set that either work linked or independantly. Plus, if you have films on a USB stick, they'll play them too. Was very pleasantly surprised at the picture quality too.

I'll see if I can find a link to similar.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Thanks Freddyg look forward to the link, iainc what where the ones you purchased from Amazon? There are so many brands but none I recognise hence the reason for needing recommendations.

freddyg
    Free Member

Sorry mate – I cant find a link to the exact configuration I've got. This is the next best thing, but it's more expensive and the screens can't work independently.

Keep your eyes peeled for the SDV47AC (this is the one we bought)

cupra
    Free Member

having seen the test footage of crashing with these installed (strap-on ones) I wouldn't ever fit them, just my unhelpful tuppence.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Excellent Freddyg does yours have the same mounting system If so how do you find it works and do you always leave attached.

Thanks

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Cupra this may help to settle your fears.

There are several UK and European laws governing the sale and use of portable and In-Car entertainment systems currently, details of our compliance to these standards are provided below.

http://www.voyager-systems.co.uk/#1261X0

freddyg
    Free Member

Yes, the same mounting system; it works quite well. The monitors are only slid into place when we are about to embark on a long journey (>1.5hrs). However, the back of the car ends up as a right mess of cables. Power from the fag lighter to one box, then power, audio and video to the other.

We use them in conjunction with a set of headphones for each of the kids. I don't know why we didn't do it years ago. It was bizarre the first time we used them on a long journey; the kids were silent and transfixed – me and MrsG didn't know what to talk about 😀

cupra
    Free Member

Er not really, no.

iainc

these are the ones I got – they were bought to replace a set we had for 4 or 5 yrs and these ones are much better :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-SDV47AM-Screen-Portable-Player/dp/B001F50LIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280244464&sr=8-1

SuperScale20
    Free Member

That quote about kids being quiet on long journey does not sound right, getting me all excited. I think there next break is 21st October so plan on going over to France for a week, the thought on no moaning. Wow

Thanks

iainc

just looked at freddy's links, so we are coming from the same place, although as said mine don't work independantly. mounting system is great as they slide in when you need them etc. wires are ok if tucked behind seats, armrest etc

and cheaper at Amazon !

iainc

That quote about kids being quiet on long journey does not sound right, getting me all excited

On Sunday there we drove Glasgow-Manchester-Glasgow to see elderly relatives – about 7 hrs in the car, 4 movies, a few interludes on the DS's and 2 not too disgruntled kids (aged 4 and 7) 😆

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Excellent gents defiantly found the brand I require now just need to select the system. I cannot thank you enough better than £1600 from dealer which I would never had paid.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Cupra not sure why information is no help to you?

docrobster
    Free Member

We Started with an "in car system" that was 1 player, 2 screens, power from fag lighter to player then a cable to each screen, screens strapped to headrests. It had no internal battery so when you turned off the ignition the film stopped and the kids then had to manually find where they were on restarting- basically unusable.
    Last yr before our trip to france we got the 2 portable players- much better as they can then watch different films- twighlight saga for her, star wars for him. They have 12volt and mains charger so can be used in hotel rooms etc and internal rechargeable battery so can even be taken on planes etc. Overall a much better idea. The kids hold them on their laps in the back rather than being strapped to the headrests. I'm not sure how this fits with the EU healthy and safety rules cos I couldn't be bothered to read it. When we go on holiday the car is packed to the rafters anyway so the chance of injury from a flying piece of plastic that ways 1-2 lbs is not high on the list of worries if we have a crash.

iainc

the nextbase ones are quite flexible. they remember movie position when ignition is off (even without putting batteries in), they can be powered off the mains or battery or car, car headrest mount or sit on lap/wee fold out stand, and have pretty reasonable volume – our kids can hear them fine without headphones if they want.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘DVD System for Rear of Vehicle’ is closed to new replies.