Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • DVD Ripping
  • igm

I own some DVDs (doesn’t everyone).

I’d like to transfer them to my iPad for journeys etc.

This doesn’t as I understand it contravene any UK copyright as it is for my personal use.

I can’t find any PC software that does this reliably and easily.

Suggestions? (Yes Google is my friend, but so far the results haven’t been great)

Someone out there has done this.

igm

Please move to chat forum – sorry.

timmys

Handbrake

igm

Handbrake doesn’t do any DVD with DRM – how do you get round that?

euain

It is technically illegal – you are circumventing the copy protection that’s on pretty much all commercial DVDs and that is still illegal. See: Link to an article

Having said that, there’s no way you’ll actually get into trouble if you’re copying DVDs you own, and not sharing them. (Caveat – I am not a lawyer).

Software, no idea on PC I’m afraid.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A friend apparently used DVD Catalyst successfully to copy is DVDs to laptop/tablet format.

igm

Probably needed entertainment on long flights to Serre C, eh CFH?

Thanks.

gt900uk
    Free Member
    bokonon
    Free Member

Handbrake will do it, you need to point the application towards the “libdvdcss” library, which you will need to download and acquire separately. Instructions are available online.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It was more for when he was on long hauls so often that he’d watched everything worth watching on that month’s BA in flight entertainment schedule and needed something else. So he told me, anyway. Ahem.

Jake25

You will need Handbrake to re-code the movie for your iPad.
    As for working round the DRM try this Any DVD. It is a good easy to use piece of software, not free though. It does have a free trail from memory though.

Edit: beaten to it 🙂

footflaps

Handbrake works fine, it can unlock the files using the same encryption package the Mac’s DVD player uses.

cranberry
    Free Member

I use AnyDVD(HD) and Handbrake.

1. copy the DVD to your computer’s hard drive with AnyDVD running on your PC *

2. Select the files in handbrake and the ouput device and click on “start”

* You can skip step 1, but if you do copy to the hard drive you can queue up multiple DVDs in Handbrake and leave the PC to work its way through converting them all.

simon_g
    sam_underhill

If you want a one stop shop, dvd fab (now called blue fab I think) is pretty good. It is an app that you need to pay for though.

clubber
    Free Member

dvd fab +1 Pretty sure it’s still free though it always comes up with a warning on mine that it’s expired but still works fine.

I use AnyDVD for any DVDs that DVD fab can’t manage without.

I use handbrake to convert for use on my tablet

sam_underhill

dvdfab free version puts water marks into the output. Well, the version I used as a trial did.

clubber
    Free Member

Interesting. Doesn’t on mine.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘DVD Ripping’ is closed to new replies.