Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • DVD Recorders – what do I need to know?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

My dad is thinking of buying a DVD recorder and has asked me what I should look out for?
    I really feel like I should be able to give him an answer but I know nothing about them – it’s my job as a son to answer my dad’s technological questions and I’m failing him – what does he need to look out for?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think they’re a bit old-hat now. I had one for ages, worked fine, but as soon as I switched to Sky HD, with the built-in PVR, I never used the DVD recorder again, and that was about a year ago.

If I was going to buy another one, I personally would start looking at BluRay recorders, but if available, they certainly won’t be cheap for a while yet…

eckinspain
    Free Member

Good point, though I think he might want to lend out the DVDs to relatives who are even less technologically adept than him.

john_drummer
    Free Member

In that case I can’t really recommend a model. The one I had/still have was a right noisy beast, branded “Lite-On” or something. It worked, but do had to keep on top of the system clock if you wanted to do timer recording – it would gain about a minute a week, which is fine at the start of the program but you had to give a few minutes overrun at the end or be left with annoyingly permanent cliff-hangers 😉

I would certainly look for something with Freeview or equivalent built in, and if possible, upscaling to mock HD

stumpy01

Only advice I can give is don’t get a Toshiba.

We got my Dad one a few yrs ago and it is the most unintuitive, difficult to use piece of consumer electronics I have ever had the misfortune of attempting to use.

Even following the instruction manual to the letter didn’t always yield the expected results. It was utter tripe.

DezB
    Free Member

Something like this> http://www.johnlewis.com/230911097/Product.aspx
    Record stuff to the HDD and he can then burn to DVD if he wants to lend them out?
    I’ve had a Pioneer one for years now and it’s been great. They only seem to do them for about £500 now though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘DVD Recorders – what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.