Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dutch Roundabouts
  • gearfreak
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22347184

Look good, but I think they would need some heavy handed enforcement to ensure drivers gave way to cyclists as per the road markings. Can’t see them being popular with the tin box brigade either.

mrmoofo

Be aware that cyclists have the right of way everywhere in Holland. If someone comes into you bedroom on a bike, they can take you there and then, and your wife …

nickjb
    Free Member

Really can’t see it working anywhere there is traffic. There are couple of crossings a little bit like this near me and they regularly get backed up with traffic. You only need to stop a couple of cars and the whole roundabout is choked. In the picture should the guy in the car in front wait for the cyclist in the fluro jacket? Add a few pedestrians in a steady stream and it’ll be chaos

andytherocketeer

Did seem strange they had to “trial” something that already “just works” in holland. But then maybe it’s a mentality thing.
    I lived there for 4 years as a cyclist and driver, but UK car drivers (and cyclists) generally haven’t.
    Clear road markings and belisha beacons are pretty obvious.

samuri
    Free Member

Jesus. Just looking at that picture gives me the heebies.
    It might work in Holland but installing that roundabout anywhere over here and they’d be sensible to install a hospital next to it.

or a morgue.

nbt

they work in Holland and Belgium, becuase the drivers over there respect cyclists and will behave accordingly. That mentality needs to come first, before stuff like this.

wors

they work in Holland and Belgium, becuase the drivers over there respect cyclists and will behave accordingly. That mentality needs to come first, before stuff like this.

+1

br
    Free Member

Not a lot different to how many roundabouts use to be, with crossing directly off them. Not sure if this will show it, but Five-Ways in Hull:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hull+five+ways&hl=en&ll=53.737387,-0.399436&spn=0.000025,0.019441&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=8.12724,19.907227&hq=five+ways&hnear=Hull,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.737387,-0.399436&panoid=ii5SIyemhq0Fa6qU3U7BmQ&cbp=12,74.33,,0,12.02

But I can’t imagine there are many roundabouts in London that have to space to do it.

mogrim

Did seem strange they had to “trial” something that already “just works” in holland. But then maybe it’s a mentality thing.

According to the report I read, it has to be officially tested before it can be used.

I can see it working if the cycle path bits are elevated, sleeping-policeman style. Otherwise, no.

unklehomered
    Free Member

It is, car gives way to everything there. Its very confusing, as a British person you are used to stopping and waiting for cars on foot, there they wait for you, which can mean you end up waiting for each other until you realise what’s going on. Similar with bikes, it would ‘just work’ there. Also the Dutch are quite possibly the nicest people in the world.

andytherocketeer

elevated cycle path is less of an issue with the roundabouts, especially the smaller ones, since a car has to pretty much stop anyway to enter, and pretty sizable steering input to negotiate and exit.

elevated path is very common (essential?) at light controlled cross roads, especially those witha clear through route. even in holland there’s far too many drivers that will floor it on yellow – the ramp makes them think twice. they are big, long gradual ramps though, so no issue to most vehicles, unlike the UK residential area bumps with much steeper ramps that killed steps on backs of ambulances etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dutch Roundabouts’ is closed to new replies.