Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dusty in here
  • binners

I listened to that on 6 music. There was definitely no sniffling. Definitely not. Oh no. Not a bit of it 😳

He started the playlist with this….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UznHTBZIa8E&feature=kp[/video]

which is just cheating!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was just reading about this in the paper this morning when R4 covered it. Glorious.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’ve a funny feeling that I was in junior school with her. She’d carry around a hearing aid in a satchel/box on her front; it never seemed to be out of her hands. What an absolutely beautiful moment it must have been for her – I couldn’t bear to be without my hearing.

pondo

Wow – now that’s something to watch when I get home tonight, cheers for posting.

There was a fantastic documentary on a few years ago about an older couple, both deaf, who had the same thing happen to them – it was fascinating, and very insightful, they could recognise the sound of voices, but couldn’t understand what was being said unless they could see the speaker (and thus lipread). In the end, rather sadly, they opted to have them removed – I think, for people who have always been able to hear, the brain learns to filter out unnecessary sound (and vision and smell and touch, etc), but if you’ve never been able to hear, then suddenly can, there’s no filter in place – the sound of everything all the time was literally driving them nuts. IIRC correctly, he could just about cope but she couldn’t, and when she had her implant removed, he had his done in solidarity. Interesting, but sad.

fasthaggis

Excellent.
    That and the Gunshot Kid ,two great stories to start the weekend 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Fabulous 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

Amazing 🙂

Was she lip reading what the nurse was saying? Presumably she’ll need to do that for quite some time until she “learns” english?

Must be surreal, actually hearing for the first time what a dog barking sounds like, water, music, laughter, cars, people just talking…she’s got a real adventure ahead of her!

I’d take her to see the LSO. That would absolutely blow your mind after never having heard sound before.

tpbiker
    Free Member

thats actually made me a bit emotional….

on a slightly different note, would be pretty amazing to have a job that entailed really making a difference to peoples lives like the guys that invented this, the nurses and the doctors..

If I was them right now Id be feeling pretty good.

white101

Been working away for a few days so only just caught up with this really. Joanne is a great lass and has been lip reading my drunken geordie burbling for years. So pleased for her but it must be so overwhelming dealing with everything that’s happened in the last week.

cbike
    Free Member

It’s great that it works for her but what’s wrong with being Deaf? My Deaf and Blindy pals are a little more subdued regarding this news.

At least one of you has noted that english is not a Deaf persons first language. She obviously had hearing in the past.

Implants only work in a tiny minority, don’t suit everyone and the loss of contact with your culture is a high price to pay for being “fixed”.

I suspect The LSO is the last thing she needs at the moment.

nick1962
    Free Member

t’s great that it works for her but what’s wrong with being Deaf? My Deaf and Blindy pals are a little more subdued regarding this news
    Implants only work in a tiny minority, don’t suit everyone and the loss of contact with your culture is a high price to pay for being “fixed”.

Three deaf guys who i used to work with were pretty hostile to these implants,so much so that one of them even gave a talk to the rest of the office about why he wouldn’t ever have one.

CountZero

It’s great that it works for her but what’s wrong with being Deaf? My Deaf and Blindy pals are a little more subdued regarding this news.

She was responsive to, and fascinated by, music, but could only ‘feel’ the rhythmic structure, no melody. So she is overjoyed to be able to properly hear music at last.
    Still, as her eyesight is extremely compromised by this problem, and getting worse, I’m sure you and your ‘Deaf and Blindy pals’ will cheer right up to see that she’s not going to be joining the ranks of the fully-abled.
    Your understanding and sympathy for this lady are heartening.

alpin
    Free Member

similar thing here:
    http://www.chilloutzone.net/video/das-erste-mal-hoeren-nach-29-jahren.html

kinda catches you the moment she hears something and her facial expression changes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dusty in here’ is closed to new replies.