Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Dusk Till Dawn – Post Race
  • will
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    Will, yep that sounds about right – that would have been during the wee small hours – I did a double lap from 1:10am to 3:10am.

Stumpjumper can be identified by it's retro red & blackness/various scuffs/rear shock that seems to be leaking something.
    Rider could be identified by general poor line choice/green Nike jersey/bright blue & grey small camelbak with pump & tube lashed to outside. In fact there'a pic on Dave Franciosys website….

Yeh, that was you for sure! I remember trying to read what the name said on your bike 😆 apologies for not saying hello, i must have been in "the zone"

How did you end up doing?

Also i did look out for a nice Seat Ibiza, but couldn't see it

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

did 12 laps solo, i could of really pushed and had enought time for a 13th but the legs didnt want much more and the head deffently didnt! 9th place over all… cant be bad for my first 12 hour race 🙂

will
    Free Member

Good effort Richard, I got in at 7.55am (after giving up at 6am and falling asleep, then being forced out again) and decided to go around again. Only to then get a puncture, which by that time was hard to fix as i couldn't concentrate, took me a while to do last lap due to that 😆

hh45
    Free Member

I thought it was great but the generator and whining dog (both on other side of the main track that leads in from the road were the low point. Its not that i was trying to sleep its that mountain biking should be about getting away from engines. And just to power some bloke's turbo – ride solo if you want more exercise! Or have a designated and separate area for noisy feckers! Ideally on an industrial estate up north.

stumpy01

Ha….no bother Will. TO be honest, I am struggling to piece together who I spoke with at what point in the race etc.

Lots of people on my last lap seemed up for a bit of banter & I had a chat with quite a few people. I also remember several short conversations on my double lap.
    People seemed a bit more flat out on my first lap though.

We did OK. 50th out of 80 – 12 laps (Team Piecep). Planning on trying to train a bit more this coming year, but it's easier said than done. Just pleased that we made it to the end – last yr we called it a day at 6am because of the rain!
    We were there quite early & slowly became hemmed in by vans & large tents! We also parked the cars close together in an arc to try & create a windbreak……hence why you probably missed the glory of the Ibiza! 😆

plumzrichard – I saw a couple of numplumz t-shirts but non on your new bike.
    Although, were you camped up by the track, where it came back into the arena after a few miles? I came back into the arena during practice before the race & bimbled through someone's camp area with a mate before clambering over some of the red/white tape. There was a bike on the floor that looked like the one from your photo in the other thread (and it was very shiny)…..

grazedknees
    Free Member

Good effort Richard, I got in at 7.55am (after giving up at 6am and falling asleep, then being forced out again) and decided to go around again. Only to then get a puncture, which by that time was hard to fix as i couldn't concentrate, took me a while to do last lap due to that[i]

Is that the same Will who (cough) forced me to go out on my last lap at 7.55?? If it is then thank you! My legs were dropping off but you chatted and kept me going for my 11th lap securing my 3rd place. Yay!!

What a great event, Special thanks go to the Cadets who made me smile on every lap as I struggled up the impossible sandy cliffs.

starseven
    Free Member

What a great event!!

Like many others this was my first organised MTB event, I did have the support of a local club but otherwise a complete newbie. I thought the whole thing was well orginised. The track had just enough challenges and some superb runs "double shocker" being my favourite.

It was very dusty and this middle aged fella spent most of his time getting out of the way of the racing snakes. By the morning I had developed a jedi like sense for a racers and could direct then "to my left" "to my right" well before they needed to slow. I know competition was intense and to their credit they took the time to say thanks through gasps of dust filled air. I suspect some of them would have rather the opportunity to rest behind a knackered soloist though!!

My old rigid Kona held up well, although it soon became a single speed not from mechanical breakdown but because I had no strength/sensation left in my thumbs to choose any of the seven speeds normally available.

When I recovered from the knackeredness and the dust is washed away my memory will be of the support from the marshalls and the other riders.

So thanks to anyone who encouraged the slow bloke on old Kona it was much appreciated and who knows next year….

will
    Free Member

grazedknees – Member
    Is that the same Will who (cough) forced me to go out on my last lap at 7.55?? If it is then thank you! My legs were dropping off but you chatted and kept me going for my 11th lap securing my 3rd place. Yay!!

What a great event, Special thanks go to the Cadets who made me smile on every lap as I struggled up the impossible sandy cliffs.

Haha! Yeh, that's me alright! I think we both power each other around that last lap. Doing it on my own would have been boring as anything!

Congrats on 3rd place, you rode superbly! Hope you had a safe journey home!

Mascy
    Free Member

Ok – so here's an idea re the bombhole chicken runs; why not make them much longer than the bombholes themselves? Surely we want to reward the plucky?

FWIW – I thought the generator users were off the mark. There was a guy who looked as if he'd fired one up specifically to boil his electric kettle!!! FFS!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I agree that chicken runs should be longer, the two I can think of were quicker than just riding the bombholes!

Great event, as usual, good fun, good course, generally excellent. We slept for a long time in the night as my partner was really rather ill, nice to feel rested afterwards as opposed to my usual zombie-like state. Team of four is definitely the way to go, much more cushy!

gee
    Free Member

Had the bumholes not been so sandy they would have been faster – they usually aren't so much of a sand pit. It was a great event – certainly the closest 12hr event I've ever done.

GB

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

stumpy01- yep that was us, we had a good turn out so are camp was rather large. we had 6 plumz members soloing and 2 plumz 4 man teams. it sounds asif that was proberly my anthem, i was most likely scooffing my face with food at that time

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Dusk Till Dawn – Post Race’ is closed to new replies.