• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Durable road cassettes
  • samuri
    Free Member

Because I’m a bit stupid, I don’t change gear much on my commuter CX bike.

As a result I wear out a particular cog quite quickly. It’s worn out now and has started slipping.
    So what I’ll do now is use the cogs either side of it. Eventually I’ll end up either spinning like loon or turning a 53:12 up a muddy hill at 5mph.

So short of me Attempting to apply some intelligence and changing gear a lot more, what’s the toughest shimano compatible cassette out there?

MoreCheeseGromit

I’ve done about 3000 miles on a Shimano Ultegra 6700 cassette so far. Although I’ve been rotating 3 chains, changing to the next roughly every 300 miles.

No slippage in the middle popular gears so far.

clubber
    Free Member

How about one of the various cassettes out there that let you replace individual sprockets. More expensive initially but if you’re killing just a few sprockets it may well work out cheaper longer term.

samuri
    Free Member

changing to the next roughly every 300 miles.
    I can’t be bothered changing chains every couple of weeks. 😉

I didn’t know those existing clubber, any links?

clubber
    Free Member

It’s been a while but marchiso is one. I’m pretty sure that there are cheaper options though

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/b/202/Marchisio/c/38/Cassettes/Marchisio-Cassettes.html

jonba
    Free Member

SJS cycles used to sell parts of cassettes.

clubber
    Free Member

Iirc miche do one

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered changing chains every couple of weeks

Couple of weeks.? Every week. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve done about 3000 miles on a Shimano Ultegra 6700 cassette so far. Although I’ve been rotating 3 chains, changing to the next roughly every 300 miles.
    No slippage in the middle popular gears so far.

I’d bloody well hope not, I’ve done about 6000 winter miles on the HG50 on my winter bike on one chain. It’s utterly trashed, but it’s not skipping! The Dura Ace on the summer bike lasted about 15,000 miles on only a couple of chains.

shadthebad
    Free Member

Go single speed?

samuri
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Single speed is an option but not really on this bike. Once we’ve moved house (July) and I’ve got room to store bikes in an available fashion, I can start using my fixed CX bike again. It just needs some decent brakes.

The breakable cassettes look a bit pricey from that example. I’ve just bought a Tiagra cassette for twenty quid. It’ll probably do me for a thousand miles or so. Depends on how muddy it continues to be and how hard I rag it (the answer probably being ‘very’ to both)

ransos
    Free Member

Ultegra cassettes last ages IME.

samuri
    Free Member

And just for info, this is what the cog looks like at replacement time.

Worn out by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

Edric64
    Free Member

I can start using my fixed CX bike again. It just needs some decent brakes.

Only one decent brake surely?

samuri
    Free Member

Nah, that single brake and a fixie brake is nonsense for people who are tired of life. Especially offroad.

Haze

Ultegra

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Durable road cassettes’ is closed to new replies.