Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Dura Ace 2013 – 11speed plus hydro road discs! (maybe…)
  • glenh
    Free Member

MTB discs may well suffer fade on big Alpine descents but a rim brake setup would be A LOT worse. You may well be dead!

What a load!

If you could have disc brakes on a road or cross bike without a significant weight – and in time – cost penalty, why would you not want them for any reason other than knee-jerk conservatism and some odd traditionalist loyalty to ‘the way things are supposed to be’?

Because they will overheat and long descents, unless they are big and heavy.

Why do people think that just because a brake can lock a wheel, they must be powerful?

or be comfortable to use for prolonged periods. or the only option.

Err, well my calliper brakes are comfortable on long alpine downhills, and provide enough power to stop at the limits of traction in all conditions. I can’t really see what’s wrong with that?

mikey74
    Free Member

no, i want discs because the very idea of using the rim as a braking surface is stupid. My lovely rims are getting worn away every time i slow down.

^^
    This x 15

Brakes that wear down a vital structural element of the bike, resulting in potentially dangerous wheels is one of the most stupid concepts still commonly used on bikes these days.

andytherocketeer

disc brakes, 11 speed…what next wireless shifters? Looking forward to this!

No! Wireless disc brakes 😯

German University Creates Wireless Disc Brake, Works 99.999999999997% of the Time

theflatboy
    Free Member

tbf, nothing brings out the luddites more than road cycling. 😆

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Interesting debate 🙂

matthewlhome – Member
    if i remember correctly geraints crash as per that photo was more to do with that wet / oily patch on the road and his wheel locking up than not being able to stop.

On the descent preceding the Tourmalet, for a few minutes, Thomas had done a passable impression of someone who had already sipped a few too many pints. Two crashes within the space of a few hundred meters threatened to derail his breakaway bid before the Olympic team pursuit champion finally regained his composure and descended safely to the foot of the Tourmalet.

“On the first one, there was something on the road and I ended up crashing. The second one was just stupid. I think I had a bit of mud on my tyres and couldn’t slow down quickly enough. It looked a bit of a drop so I thought I’d better crash now before going off down there. I lost my head a bit after that. I was a bit frustrated. I got back on, they didn’t really want to wait for me and it was all right in the end.[/quote]

I’d love to own a set of carbon wheels but don’t so I can’t speak from experience. A few club members / mates do though and opinion amongst them is still mixed (on braking performance). Some rims / pads work better than others.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

tbf, nothing brings out the luddites more than road cycling

+1

I suspect many people can only embrace new technology when eveyone else around them has it.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Dura Ace 2013 – 11speed plus hydro road discs! (maybe…)’ is closed to new replies.