Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dunno if this has been posted before – Mountain Rescue Content
  • druidh
    Free Member
    valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve not seen it before, just signed up, you never know 😉

thanks for the information druidh 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but if you’re sensible and don’t go out in mountains in dangerous conditions then you won’t need rescuing when things go wrong… 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

I know things are quiet, but that’s a pretty poor effort at a troll 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yeah but if you’re sensible and don’t go out in mountains in dangerous conditions then you won’t need rescuing when things go wrong

and you’ll never trip over your silly arse and fall down a crevasse or nowt…

druidh
    Free Member

sfb – stoppit!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Will it work with my phones?

druidh
    Free Member

Just another reason to get one TJ….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Do smoke signals work?

druidh
    Free Member

Not after dark.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a torch that does SOS in morse

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just don’t go up there then you won’t have to worry, will you?

You don’t have to go up mountains. You can go and have a walk around the park or something. All that mountaineering in Winter is just showing off anyway. Bloody irresponsible. Far greater risk of danger like avalanches and hypothermia and stuff. S’just people trying to prove themselves and look hard.

druidh
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    I know things are quiet, but that’s a pretty poor effort at a troll

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Who wants to go up there anyway? S’just bloody cold and bleak. Bloody silly if you ask me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I rest my case. Only an idiot would go up there in Winter. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah but a very cool idiot.

stanfree
    Free Member

Cool , not much chance of being otherwise In those conditions, still nice pic TJ. Where Is It.?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Driesh off Glen Clova

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Who wants to go up there anyway? S’just bloody cold and bleak. Bloody silly if you ask me.

If you take your own advice above [ quote]Yeah but if you’re sensible and don’t go out in mountains in dangerous conditions then you won’t need rescuing when things go wrong [ /quote], I think you would find them far from Bleak. You’re probably right about the element of macho bull, I don’t deny being prowd of some of my winter/alps achievements, all be it fairly modest in the whole scheme of all things montaineering. I’m surpised Surf_matt isn’t a seasoned mountaineer… or maybe we’ve yet to hear about that. 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah but a very cool idiot.

Yes it looks bloody freezing. 🙁

boblo
    Free Member

How long is that bluddy axe??? Was that pic taken in the 1890’s? 🙂

Sandwich

Good to see a proper walking axe. I thought I was the only one who still uses one 🙂
    A mate has a proper alpenstock which never gets used due to the length of shaft (ooer).

messiah
    Free Member

Thats a proper walkers axe… the useful type as used by winter walkers instead of the short type used by winter climbers (and “****” that strap them to the back of their rusksacks to look like a climber type). An axe is no use when it’s strapped to the back of a rucksack, it needs to be in your hand ready for action, a long axe like that is much better if your not planning to climb ice faces as it will be in your hand being used like a walking stick… lecture over… have a nice day.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

^^ What a load of tosh, an ice axe is an ice axe, not a walking stick. If you want a walking stick…er, buy a walking stick or a walking pole. A walking ice axe is for self arrest. If you’re on difficult ground that might require self arrest, carry the axe ready to use for self arrest, ready to use immediately. If your on any other terrain a shorter shaft axe will be just as useful(or useless) as any other…lecture over..have a nice evening.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BA Nana

I have been carrying that axe for decades. Due to dodgy knees I require a walking stick as well. That axe which is stupidly long does both functions – It can act as a walking stick and can also act for fall arrest. The extra length does not comprise its function as a fall arrest.

the reason walking axes are generally shorter is so you can carry then in your hand without them touching the ground. I got a long one so it saves me carrying a walking stick as well

May i ask when you did your first winter mountain? 1968 for me.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Tj, it was done (not very well) with a dollop of tongue in cheek, more at the finger wagging lecturing of that post, that we’d managed to avoid in this and the previous post of 13thfloor. Quite honestly, I’m not really that bothered what people choose to use. what you feel comfortable with, aye?
    As it happens, I used a 70cm wooden shafted Stubia Mont Blanc for 10 years, but have to say, I wouldn’t go back from a short shafted axe now. I presume you don’t traverse on very steep ground with that extra long axe? planting it on the up slope would require you to raise the pick well above your head, no?

Yes, you may ask when I did my first winter mountain, I can’t recall, but approx 1985 and haven’t missed many Scottish/alps seasons since. I credit you with more intelligence than to start going down the track you appear to be with that question.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Posted late at night after beers hence a bit dim from me

boblo
    Free Member

S’funny, I nearly posted a response like BA’s to Messiah and thought, nah bollox to it as it sounded like recycled ‘Trail’ tripe…

I wasn’t questioning anyones experience or the validity of using specific kit. I was just ‘impressed’ by the incredible length of that axe.

As for the pi$$ing competition, TJ surely you win hands down as that axe must be from 1890 hence you are clearly more experienced than the rest of us put together 🙂

FWIW, I use short climbing axes and have done since getting rid of my ‘walking’ (70cm) axe in the mid 80’s. Crap for cutting steps downhill granted but we don’t really do that anymore do we…?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dunno if this has been posted before – Mountain Rescue Content’ is closed to new replies.