• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by colp.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ducati Multistrada
  • benji
    Free Member

Looking at changing the ZX6R for a Ducati Multistrada, the ninja has been a lot of fun, done a few track days, enjoy it, but think it’s time for a change and something more sensible and practical appeals, and after doing track days you soon realize you can’t ride like that on the road (at least not for long). So tempted to chop her in for a Ducati Multistrada 620.

Opinions please.

mrmoofo

You will be serious disappointed with the 620s power …

bikebouy
    Free Member

PIC’s !!! You can’t talk Ducati’s without PIC’s…

C’mon….

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

if it’s anything like the Ducatis Italian bikes I’ve been involved with, you might want to make sure you’re completely up to speed on automotive electrics

bikebouy
    Free Member

I still admire the Monsters..
    Every now and again I get the urge..
    But that means selling my Vespa (unused now for 5mths) first.. one in, one out rule with me.
    I know I’d hate it within about 90sec’s but you know, sometimes you just gotta…

failedengineer

May I suggest a Tiger 800?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have had a couple of Monsters over the years, a 2002 and a 2005.
    The reputation for bad electrics did make me sceptical initially but this has been addressed. I never had an issue.
    A 620 will feel very down on power coming off a ZX6R though. My bikes were 750cc and 800cc. Even these were very manageable. The 750 got a full tune up kit fitted but was never a 748 with regards to performance.
    Lovely bikes though. I miss my matt black 750 monster more than any other bike I’ve owned.

simon_g

620s are very rare – 1000s are pretty plentiful though. Not outright quick (90ish bhp) but torquey, good road bikes really.

Quality has been much better since the late-90s, Texas-Pacific threw loads of money at improving things. No electrical (or any other) issues on my 2007 Monster.

bazzer
    Free Member

How about something in between like a Street Triple, comfy but you could do a few trackdays if you wanted too.

fasthaggis

Benji

Is it this model ?

A while back I looked at the older models (1000ds with the funny front end) and everyone said not to bother with the 620.
    The folk on theStrada forum were very helpful

The new models look good ,I am saving up for a Aprilia

bazzer
    Free Member

I am saving up for a Aprilia

I have a Tuono V4 APRC and its brilliant, only downside is the short tank range. Other than that it ticks all the right boxes for me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The 620 is a bit underpowered for sure, but it’ll still make most cars look silly if you need to, and it should get well over 50mpg too. I wouldn’t tour 2-up on one, but it’d make a fine commuting/fun tool.
    I test rode an 1100 (These are both the original MS we’re talking about here) and the engine was fantastic, like being on the end of a very loooong elastic band, loads of bottom/mid range welly
    Electronically, the newer Dukes since about 2005 are as solid as anything (We’ve had 2 Monsters and now an ST3s) else, and the very latest Dukes pretty much leave everyone else in their wake with their technology.
    I make no apologies for being a BIG Ducati fan. I swapped my big’n’fast Speed Triple in for a Monster 696 which was about 30bhp down on the S3 and I LOVED it. Such a wonderfully involving little bike that I could thrash the spuds off without ever feeling intimidated with a wicked growl from the airbox

one_bad_mofo

I recently looked at getting a 620 Multistrada, but the service costs put me off. I know what they are likely to be having owned, and massively enjoyed, a 620 Monster a few years back.
    Instead, I went and bought a Kawasaki Versys 650. One of the most enjoyable bikes I’ve ever owned. 🙂

colp

Never had a Multistrada but have a 2001 748 as a track bike and a 1098s.
    Both have been totally reliable.

nickname
    Free Member

Instead, I went and bought a Kawasaki Versys 650. One of the most enjoyable bikes I’ve ever owned.

same 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Whereas my wife test rode a Versys, a Z750, a Hornet, and a BMW 800…. Then bought a Monster 696 because she found the others either ‘rough’ or ‘boring’. It was the slowest, cheapest bike of the lot, but oh so pretty and just that little bit special.

IMG_0966 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

benji
    Free Member

Thank you folks, knew you wouldn’t let me down. Will do some more reading, the monster is also on the list, looks lovely, not sure I could put up with life without a fairing. Test rode a Triumph Tiger, liked it, nice to ride, but little pricey at the minute for the latest one. It is the earlier model Multistrada I’m looking at not the new shape beaky one.

scotroutes

I really should stay away from these threads.

img008 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

I will not buy another motorcycle.

rickmeister

Or, go Austrian:

M1llh0use
    Free Member

New Ducati you say??

FOG

I borrowed the 1000cc for a week and thoroughly enjoyed it, comfortable enough to go a distance but lively enough to have some fun. So my only slight negative would be what others said, is 620 enough power?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Damn there are some nice S/h examples for peanuts money (monster1100’s) on that there eBay, even 1-2year old bikes with no mileage are cheeeeeeeeppppppp…

*must put money to better use! must put money to better use! must put mo………..n………..e………………..

Damn.
    😆

Northwind

It’s a pretty weak engine tbh, not much power and not an awful lot of torks either. You could simulate the experience by taking 2 of the plugs out of your ninja. Not that this is a totally bad thing for its particular target market but I think you might find its sluggishness offputting.

colp

Anybody seen the Panigale R in Manchester Airport?
    Stunning, although the Screen fairing is a bit wonky.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ducati Multistrada’ is closed to new replies.