Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dubbing versus sub-titles
  • Pook

We're producing a tutorial in english. English firm, english speakers etc. It's to be exported to 100 countries.

Dubbed voiceovers in the foreign languages, or sub-titles?

cp

gotta be dubbed voice overs surely for tutorials?

I thought this was going to be about films, to which my repsonse was going to be defo subtitles!!

Brown
    Free Member

Dubbed if you want to make people laugh uncontrollably and learn nothing, subtitles otherwise.

donsimon
    Free Member

Possibly a cultural thing going on here. In the UK we are used to seeing films in original version because most films are in English. Foreign films are more art house and sub-titled, the dubbed films we saw were generally martial arts films and dubbed badly. In Spain most films are dubbed and it's a bit strange at first but the level of dubbing is good. The general problem is that people will read the subtitles and not watch the speaker/action. (Remember this if you do presentations, kiddies.)

If you can get good dubbing, dub.

Whatever you do, don't do it like the Polish film I saw a few years ago.
    The original dialogue was loud enough to hear under the dubbing.
    One man did the dubbing for everyone, young/old, male/female etc.
    The dubbing artist spoke in a monotone way!!!

Terrible

cp

my thought's on dubbing as it's a tutorial film is that the watcher should probably be watching the action & listening to instruction rather than trying to read subtitles, and then trying to catch any action they can.

Pook

less tutorial more induction and it's not safety critical. Think top line company ethos rather than technical nitty gritty

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was going to say sub-titles, but the don of simon makes a good point. See! The forum can make one change one's mind (not about Staffies though 🙂 )

xc-steve
    Free Member

I thought this was a thread about that popular 2-step garage genre…

on another note who do you work for Pook… and both?! surly to make it accessible?!

donsimon
    Free Member

I've just remembered I work with a guy who used to work as a dubbing artist, if you're not in any rush (back from holiday Sept) I can see if he'll talk to you and give you a better idea. I have a feeling it might be more complicated than you think.

The forum can make one change one's mind (not about Staffies though )

You just want another pic, don't you??

😉

Pook

steve – we're a production agency up north. Simon, it is complex yes. Expense is currently playing the larger role.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I watched "The girl with the dragon tattoo" dubbed in American accents for a whole minute before switching to Swedish with subtitles 🙂 Must be due to watching Wallander that way!

donsimon
    Free Member

Expense is currently playing the larger role.

Clearly offset by who the client is and what type of image they want to send out.
    I personally think that the best option will be dubbing, from a visual point of view, more professional and cleaner. If it's an informative video, you want the audience to be focussed on the message, not pi55ing around reading the text.
    If it's a question of cost, the decision will be taken out of your hands.

Don Simon: language teacher and presentation coach. 😉

Pook

cheers old chap. That's my argument and reasoning. We're actually offering both but I'm just testing the water of group opinion. We've done both in the past incidentally

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dubbing versus sub-titles’ is closed to new replies.