Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Duathlons… hmm little help please!
  • trialsguru
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

I am looking at entering a local duathlon and being a first timer I am a little confused as to what will happen during the race…

I understand the format, my confusion comes at the transition point between the running and cycling… obviously I am not going to want to run and cycle in the same shoes, so, does the clock still run when changing into shoes/helmet or is there some sort of time allowance for swapping foot attire and jumping on the bike?

If there isn’t, I shall start riding in my running trainers!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Clock still runs. Fast transitions are all part of it, that’s why a lot of triathlon gear is focussed on it, it is an effort free time reduction.

I’ve been thinking of having a go at a duathlon as well.
    As I understand it, it’s total time, including transition, so you need to be able to change quickly or run and cycle in the same kit.

marcus
    Free Member

Yep – Clock stops ticking when you cross the fininsh line. Races are often won and lost in transiition. having said that, other than a bit of time, (and I assume you are not looking to worry the winners) why not change your shoes – practice makes perfect.

thebunk

I’m doing my first one at the weekend in Cirencester!

Sorry, mini hi-jack, but as it is mountain biking, if I see a competitor with a mechanical, should I slow down and ask them if they have everything they need?

To go back to the original question, I was planning on using the transition to get my breath back…

woody2000

thebunk – I think you may not undertsand the word “race” 🙂

Point, laugh and stick an extra burst in! 🙂

phinbob

Yup transitions count.

It’s worth practicing, and R G active do some training sessions in Richmond Park which I think are well worth attending.

Also consider doing some ‘bick’ sessions, alternately runnig and cycing. At the end of a decent ride, pop on the running shoes and go for a run.

Your legs will feel like poo for a few minutes, but keep the pace up and they should come good, with training.

Enjoy!

fourbanger
    Free Member

If you’re going to change shoes then I recommend something to stand on, thick plastic bag, roll mat etc. Nothing worse than getting on the bike to find you’ve picked up a stone and saves all that hopping around on one leg business.

soobalias
    Free Member

thats a good tip for anyone not able to balance and remove their shoes/socks

brassneck

So what’s the consensus – worth taking the time to swap to disco slippers? Or put flats and clips <shudder> on the bike?

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’m gonna go for changing into disco slippers.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

It also depends on whether it is an on or off road duathlon. For road, if you are serious about getting a good time, shoes are already clipped into pedals so you run into transition, take off your running shoes and run barefoot to a line where you are allowed to mount the bike. You can then slip into the bike shoes whilst pedalling, some really keen types have an elastic band to keep the pedals horizontal, its hooked from the pedal to the rear skewer. When coming back from the cycle, you have to dismount before a line which you do by doing a cyclocross dismount without shoes, then run barefoot into transition and put on your running shoes again. This, if done properly, can save 2 or more minutes which is a long time on a bike.
    Oh and don’t forget, the first thing you do when getting to the bike is put your helmet on and buckle it up, you can be disqualified for touching your bike without a helmet on, its also the last thing you take off before the final run.

llama

If Road bike then swap shoes no question

If MTB then swap shoes unless you are well used to riding at race pace in trainers

Elastic laces in your trainers

Easy to do up bike shoes e.g. not ones with ratchets

Triathlon shorts are nicer for running in

llama

Oh yes, and triathletes cannot ride off road for toffee so if its wet and/or mildly technical you’ll clean up on the bike section

oldgit
    Free Member

They’re a whole world of pain wrapped up in one race. Like all shortish races you can’t help but go fast. Only done one and won it outright though I don’t like to mention it.

PaulMcG

@llama

Yep, that Ian Leitch and Sam Gardner can’t ride off-road to save themselves 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Some races I’ve been in, throw in another obstacle – the transition point is a few km’s away from start… That means having to carry your running gear (shoes) to the transition and dumping it, or change into (I run 1st, so change into it). In this case, the back packs with a adjustable gap between front pocket and main pocket are great for stuff shoes into:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_743911_langId_-1_categoryId_165687

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Duathlons… hmm little help please!’ is closed to new replies.