Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dual Ring Chain Devices
  • Matt_B
    Free Member

Simple question, whats the best? MRP, E.13, Gamut etc?

Its for an Orange 5 if that makes any odds…

mikey74
    Free Member

You only need a Blackspire Stinger for £20, no need for anything else. I’ve been using one since I went to Whistler last year and it is a fantastic bit of kit.

You can also use the bash guard of your choice as well.

rhid

I’ve been using an MRP long range patrol with alloy bash guard for 3 years and it has never dropped the chain. Can’t recommend it enough!

Matt_B
    Free Member

Thanks. I notice it uses Shimano front mechs, im running SRAM X.9, might this be an issue?

lee-bee
    Free Member

Hi Matt this is something im’e planning on doing to my five, Ive heard of problems fitting 36t and 34t sprockets catching the rear pivot. Dont know if this is something you are aware of.

mikey74
    Free Member

Does the 5 have ISCG tabs? That MRP looks like it needs them.

Matt_B
    Free Member

Lee – hadnt heard that. Orange will sell you a Gamut chain device so guessing these are ok?

Matt_B
    Free Member

Mikey – Yep, new one does.

Northwind

Blackspire Stinger is very effective, quite a lot of metal in it which seems unneccesary but then, the plus side of that is that if you have clearance issues you can chop lumps out of it (frinstance as standard it’ll catch the swingarm of a Hemlock, no bother, chop a lump off. Can’t do that with a gamut, chop a lump off and there’ll be nothing left 😉

lee-bee
    Free Member

I think Orange fit a 32T chainring to there double and bash setups. I think it is only the later five frame’s what have this issue years 2010 onwards although im’e not 100% on this.

mikey74
    Free Member

As I said, having run a Stinger for over a year or so now, I do not see a reason to spend more money on other devices, as the Stinger really works.

Matt_B
    Free Member

Stinger looks favourite at the moment as I dont really want to spend £££ if I dont need to.

Ewan
    Free Member

The stinger has been fantastic. Never lost my chain since fitting it – whcih was also a doddle.

Matt_B
    Free Member

But will it work with S?RAM mechs as well as Shimano?

mikey74
    Free Member

The Stinger is fitted below the chainstay, and therefore does not get anywhere near the mech.

Northwind

The Stinger? Sure, it doesn’t affect the mech at all. Unless you have an e-type mech I guess.

Matt_B
    Free Member

Thanks both. One of those it is then.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Have got a Long Range Patrol on my DB Alpine. Great piece of kit but can foul big tyres unless you trim them a bit. I have a Blackspire stinger soewehere which I will put on as it’s shorter and less likely to cause problems, I hope.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dual Ring Chain Devices’ is closed to new replies.