Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dual Ring Chain Device Help Required
  • MadBadBikeBloke
    Free Member

Any experts out there with a qualified opinion of what dual ring chain device to go for to fit my Intense Uzzi 2010 with XTR M970 cranks please?, I'm looking at eith MRP or E-Thirteen….. In White or Carbon, I'm not tied to budget and thinking £150 Max?

Your educated thoughts please?

Many thanks

Matt

JohnnyPanic

Blackspire Stinger – £25 ??

PROLINE85
    Free Member

The E13 DRS is great, and fits 970's fine.

AndyA
    Free Member

I've used an E13 drs in the past, which was fine, but I seemed to go through rollers and bearings on it too often. I'm now using a blackspire stinger, which is every bit as good, if not better and a hell of alot cheaper. Wouldn't look past the stinger now.
    You could buy a stinger and bash of your choice and it'll still only cost half as much as a drs, and work every bit as well.

JohnnyPanic

I also have an E13 DRS (came with the bike), despite saying Stinger.
    The E13 works fine, but eats bearings and rollers.
    The rollers only seem to be available in a pack that also contains the plastic outer guide which doesn't wear out. So you're forced to pay more.
    (anyone knows different please say…)
    The E13 also weighs twice as much as the stinger.

So I plan to swap to the Stinger.
    I know a few people who run & rate them.

zangolin
    Free Member

+1 for Stinger + bash ring.
    Running that setup on 2 bikes with no problems – simple cheap + effective.

Seamus
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, Can you run a blackspire stinger without a bash guard? The blackspire website isn't very clear.

.duncan
    Free Member

i guess so seamus. It mounts on the BB so as long as you have one of those… 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can run a stinger without a bash but it won't be as effective as the bash guard is what keeps the chain from dropping off of the outside of the chainring.

The stinger is a bargain and it certainly does the job very well but it can be noisy, it's not especially durable as the bearing doesn't last very long (although tbh, you don't technically need the roller to be turning for the chain to still run freely) and if your chainline is not spot on, it can hamper shifting between rings.

But of course, all of these problems can be overcome.

nodrog2
    Free Member

+1 for the stinger. I have encountered problems fitting them to some bikes with raceface cranks, should be fine with xtr though.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Slight hijack – how do you find the Uzzi?

demoed one over the weekend – thought it was fantastic other than it's granny ring climbing ability where there was tons of chain torque issues and it spat traction as soon as grip got marginal.

Downhill though? Wow…!

tinsy
    Free Member

Hijack, reading this with interest…

I got my dual ring setup with my chain about as short as possible when on the middle and the big cog at the back, how much will a stinger improve on this for stopping the chain slap?

Vortexracing

I use a BB bracket mount Gamut dual, had an E13 DRS before it,worked well but did go through rollers etc, changed to the Gamut, saved 1/2lb!! and it works just as well.

highly recommended

MadBadBikeBloke
    Free Member

First ride out was Sunday, I love it… Rides great.. We did around 15 miles around the 'Lookout' and despite it having 180mm Fox Float 2011 forks, it climbed well.
    I still have an Intense 6.6 and although the Uzzi is 4lb heavier, it rides the same and is limited only in performance by it's rider…

MadBadBikeBloke
    Free Member

Not finished yet, Will be soon though…

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7883201/intense%20uzzi.jpg

The decals on the front rim are coming off and being replaced with white on black DeeMax decals.

Chain Device to be added and XT rotors to follow along with 2.5 High Rollers for the Alps

clive
    Free Member

+1 for the Gamut duel 😀

keppoch

So this little thing works with an inner and middle ring and a bash guard and keeps the chain on?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17282

keppoch.

BMC09
    Free Member

+1 for the stinger…

Alb
    Free Member

+1 for the Gamut Dual Ring. Makes an e13 look so unnecessarily over-engineered.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Ive just changed from an e13 drs to the gamut dual as i was fed up with replacing the overpriced rollers that wear far to quickly.

Gamut is half the weight and performs just aswell.

khani
    Free Member

another +1 for a stinger, works a treat,
    pooperstar do a stinger copy for £16-17 squid looks ok as well, dont know if they have an adjustable roller like the stinger though

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Mmm, like the look of the Stonger myself but put off by this from the installation instructions:

"Make sure the BB has a flanged and offset (E-type style) drive side cup that is chainguide compatible"

What does this mean? I have XT hollowtech cranks with external cups that I had assumed would be fine. Help please.

khani
    Free Member

mines on a 5spot with slx cranks with external cups and works fine, it just replaces the inside spacer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It just means 'is there a spacer somewher on the BB, if your using HT11 cranks with a 68mm the nswer is yes. If you using them in a 73mm BB and have a BB mounted front mech you could be in trouble.

carbon337
    Free Member

I like my stinger – bit of a pain to get right with race face cranks on a five but Stinger +1 spacer seems to be working ok at the moment.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dual Ring Chain Device Help Required’ is closed to new replies.