• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • dual position air pikes..can i run them all the time in the lower setting?
  • DrP

Basically, I’m thinking about the DP air pikes in 130/160mm guise.
    I’d be running at 130mm the majority of the time.. but want the option for 160mm if needed (hucking, gnar, 15m drops to flat etc etc…)

Is this going to affect/compromise the fork at all? i.e will it run just as well at 130mm?

Cheers

DrP

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would have thought so. I keep my dual position Sektors in the lower setting 80% of the time and never noticed an issue.

letmetalktomark

Going back a few years I asked the same question regarding some Magura Thors(?) 140/100.

The consensus seemed to be when not using the bike have them opened to 140 and before using the bike cycles the fork a few times in full travel the pack down and off you go.

Seemed to work for me with no obvious issues.

DrP

hmm..just having a read about online, some people (not experts or SRAM officials!) have said the spring rate is different in the lower setting – blows through travel more easily…
    Basically, I want a 130mm fork that can go to 160mm, with no compromise in either travel…

DrP

DrP

soo… having just got off the phone to Winstanley, who just got off the phone to Fisher, it seems that if i want to run at 130 (or 140mm) most of the time, I’m better off with a 140mm solo air fork as tehre IS compromise in the function in the lower setting.
    I.e it’s designed to drop DOWN for climbing, not UP for gnar….

oh wells…

DrP

Rubber_Buccaneer

I could let you have a play with my 150/120 DPAs if you want. I would try to answer your question but

1. If it bounces up and down I am happy enough
    2. I haven’t really used the lower position as I am too lazy to turn knobs

DrP

this is the thing – i want it for the lower position for the majority of the time..
    No where really has 140mm solo airs in place..

DrP

andyg1966

With solo air pikes its easy to change the air shaft to change travel if you find a good deal on 150 or 160 pikes. About £35 IIRC

Rubber_Buccaneer

£35 (RRP) buys you an airshaft in whatever length you want. Maybe check stock first

honourablegeorge

DrP – Member
    hmm..just having a read about online, some people (not experts or SRAM officials!) have said the spring rate is different in the lower setting – blows through travel more easily…
    Basically, I want a 130mm fork that can go to 160mm, with no compromise in either travel…

DrP

All dual position forks are a compromise, they usually involve an extra set of seals so there’s more friction, and the extra internals and changing cha,ber sizes mean there’s going to be compromise in one of the settings or both.

You do have the option of buying a 130 solo air spring and a 160, and swapping them, but that’s quite a lot of hassle, and you’d need to decide (and install)your travel before you leave the house

Personally, I’d decide on 140 or 150 as a compromise.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps tune the air spring to perform best when in the lower travel setting? Personally I always like a bit more travel on the front compared to the rear.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

I would have thought so. I keep my dual position Sektors in the lower setting 80% of the time and never noticed an issue.

Whhhaaaaaattt?!

You actually ride a bike? When the f do you have time to do that inbetween trolling pretty much everyone on here? 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

DrP most things are a compromise. I ride my Sektors lower setting (110?) most of the time as I am going along, up or only easyish downs. If I am riding a longer and mire tricky trail I switch them to 150. sometimes I think the whole journalist “blow through the travel” is the gnarr-ness speaking 😐 As a very average rider I’ve ridden up and down with my forks in the “wrong” position and didn’t notice.

@Nobeer 😀 I did post a ride picture from last week in another thread when similarly accused. As for trolling, no never do that its really what I think (which may appall you more)

big_scot_nanny

This will be massively unhelpful, but when I had 180mm talas fox forks, they worked brilliantly at 140mm. Therefore, I fully support your plan. 🙂

nuke

Personally i think its easy to over analyse these things…I have Pike DP on my Remedy and for a lot of Surrey Hills trails where i mostly ride i just leave them in the lower setting and i can’t say I’ve ever given it the slightest thought at the end of a trail that my forks were ‘compromised’. But there we go, thats just me

sillyoldman

I bought some 120/150 Pikes on the advice of the brand manager. I’ve also got Solo Air ones on another bike. Even without adding tokens, the Solo air ones are way better.

DP ones are pretty horrible in both long and short setting. Bought some custom tokens for them, but not got round to fitting them (bit more involved than in Solo Air forks).

I wouldn’t buy DP again, though I believe they’ve changed the design so that off the shelf tokens can be used?

yunki
    Free Member

I had a dual position Revelation for a while a few years back bought for exactly the same reason

I got shot of it within a month though as I wasn’t at all confident with it at the lower setting

Happily though, I made a slight profit on it on ebay 🙂

timmys

That’s pretty much my experience (blows through travel), however I found if I changed the compression level from “open” to “pedal” when I dropped to 130 then that seem to get them about right. Also if you dicked around with tokens I’m pretty sure you could set them up nicely for 130, but no idea how they’d then feel when you pop them back up to 160!

damion
    Free Member

TFTuned set my Pikes up just like that for me, but in a 120/150 guise.

They live in 120 for the majority of the time, bumped up when needed. I haven’t ever had any problems, and as far as I am concerned, it works like a charm.

DrP

To be honest, for these forks to have been a successful ‘impulse buy’ they would have to be shrouded in gleaming reviews without any doubt!

I think I’ll stick with what I have for now (130mm revs, which, TBH, I’m happy with!) and see if 140mm pikes come about.
    It’s for a hard tail, and for most of my riding 130-140mm is fine!

DrP

mboy
    Free Member

DrP did you get a fork sorted in the end? What wheel size were you after?

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve Always run dp rock shox and the lower setting I’m my opinion is for climbing. You can run them on the lower setting but they don’t feel as good.

DrP

I did.. 140mm 29er pikes from crc. Used bc discount to make it a bit less painful!

DrP

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘dual position air pikes..can i run them all the time in the lower setting?’ is closed to new replies.