Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dual air noise (lack of knowledge content)
  • mattyd
    Free Member

Hi,
    my 29er Revelation dual air forks make a hissing sound on compression and rebound. I’ve never had an air fork before, so is this normal or are the seals dead/dry? Or is there a snake trapped inside them?
    Haven’t taken them apart yet so no idea what the oil situation is.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

letmetalktomark

Mine are pretty noisy.

Not noticed anything untoward.

IA

Hissing? Not on any pairs I’ve had… lure the snake out with a dead mouse?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have some 2013 dual air revs and they are silent.

mattyd
    Free Member

Hmmm, these are definitely not silent – perhaps hissing isn’t quite accurate, it sounds like air moving past a seal when I compress and release quickly (only during the compress and release, not if I keep them pressed). I might need to open them up and see what’s what then. Thanks for the replies.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Good god luck mate, there are plenty of guides online just in case.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Are you losing air pressure? Could it be cavitation, is it like a squelching/wet fart sound?

mattyd
    Free Member

It’s definitely more of a ‘dry, silent but deadly’ type fart than an ‘uh-oh, that’s going to leave a mark’ type rasper.

nwilko
    Free Member

Have you got the lockout on, sound your hearing could be high compression damping.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Try winding rebound to fully fast (red knob at bottom) and compression damping off (blue lever on top). Sounds perfectly normal to me if it’s a squish/whoosh sound – it’s oil moving through the dampers. Quite simply damping is done by oil moving through an orifice…. The size of the orifice, dictates the speed of return or compression. The smaller the orifice, the harder the oil has to work and hence the more noisy it is.

My bet is you have the rebound damper on a slow setting…..

dibboid
    Free Member

I might need to open them up and see what’s what then

Don’t! Sounds like you could be opening a can of worms! 😀

mattyd
    Free Member

Rebound was set to roughly half way. With it set to fully fast it sounded about the same, but with it set to fully slow it was definitely louder (lockout is off btw). But, yeah, it is more a squish/whoosh, so I think you are right. It seems to work perfectly well, just the noise made me wonder if it was supposed to do that.
    I reckon I’ll stop worrying about it and just enjoy riding my bike in the woods then.
    Thanks a lot for the help and advice, all of you, it’s much appreciated.

plyphon
    Free Member

My dual air revs make all sorts of noise when the compression is on. wouldnt worry about it tbh.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dual air noise (lack of knowledge content)’ is closed to new replies.