Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DT Swiss Rws skewers
  • ChrisA
    Free Member

Afternoon all

Thinking of changing my normal qr skewers for a set of these.

Has anyone got any experience of them? Good or bad?

ridethelakes
    Free Member

All good here. Much tighter than ordinary skewers which gives some added benefit and easy enough to remove wheels using the ratchet system.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Only fault I know of was the one brant posted earlier this week.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s quite easy to strip the ratchet teeth off the lever if you’re careless, for example shagged senseless at the end of a long ride and taking the wheels off to put them in a car. If you don’t take wheels on and off frequently then they seem pretty decent though.

gingerflash

I have them. No problems at all, seems tighter, stiffer, more secure than a normal QR. I have the 10mm mini-bolt-through version on a DT240 hub.

If i didn’t have the 10mm axle and was putting a skewer through a normal, non-DT hub, I’d go for allen key skewers like Halo’s, as I have on another bike. Safe, secure and stiff, but much cheaper, probably a bit lighter too. Whenever I come to take a wheel off, I’ve always got a 5mm akllen key to hand so the lack of lever isn’t a problem.

BearBack
    Free Member

On the rear they are great, just as quick as a regular QR essentially but seem much more secure.

Up front, I found that the lever fouled up on the fork lowers to I wasn’t able to use them as designed… had to really step through the small rotating agle to get them on/off – therefore way slower than a regular QR up front. Clamping force is good though but I had to do them really tight to prevent loosening… something made difficult by not being able to get a full turn on the lever. If they clear your fork lowers, I think they’d be great up front too.. however on my race bike I don;t want to be mucking about in the case of a flat or loose front wheel… I threw a Mavic QR on teh front instead which is pretty darn good.

Christowkid
    Free Member

I was wondering about these following the Pinder v Fox thread a couple of weeks ago. I asked the same sort of question on this forum then followed it up with a trip to 2 of my local shops and eyeballed one. The general opinion in the shops was that a qr done up tight was as good, and they didn’t consider it an upgrade and also no where as good as a maxle type arrangement. I also thought in the region of £30 was a lot for what people didn’t see as much if any improvement on my normal qr.
    Someone answered my post that he had one undo, someone stripped the ratchet mechanism and last week gone brant reported he’d trashed his front one on a rock.
    I’ve concluded I’ll stick to my XT qr and keep checking it’s done up!
    cheers
    Q

joe1983
    Free Member

Good: stiffened up front end considerably.
    Bad: have to tighten rear after every ride (sometimes during, although this could be that mine is just b*ggered.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss Rws skewers’ is closed to new replies.