Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • DT Swiss 5.1D vs Mavic XM 317 vs none of the above!?
  • bearbiking
    Free Member

Hi, I’m looking to pick up a (secondhand) 20mm front wheel for all mountain riding…
    Seem to be a few 5.1’s and XMs out there but I’ve heard that the 5.1’s are a nightmare to change tyres on and dent easily – is this true?
    And is anyone out there running a 2.35 tyre on their XM’s? Work ok?

Rickos
    Free Member

Mavic tend to be easier to put tyres on. My DT’s are OK, but the difference is noticeable between the 2 for ease of putting tyres on. Some tyres are easier than others too, so it’s getting the mix right if you go for DT.

beanieripper
    Free Member

tbh, dt cheese do tend to be softer alloy than mavic..

nick5
    Free Member

I currently run a mavic 317 xm up front and did have one on the rear but 6 months ago I was just shy of 16 stone and kept snapping spokes. Once one goes it often weekens the rest, so got a mavic ex 721 on a pro II hub which i got fitted at christmas. Not snapped any spokes and is still fairly true (just fine tuned the odd spoke every now and then.
    Can’t comment on the dt’s as never had them but if your buying second hand, I’d get as good as you can get and mavic 7 range are quite well regarded (higher the first no on mavics, the higher up there range).
    Had no problems with my front 317 but I ride a hard tail so it doesn’t get so much abuse. good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 5.1D vs Mavic XM 317 vs none of the above!?’ is closed to new replies.