Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DT Swiss 240 hubs problem
  • ActionJackson
    Free Member

Got some DT Siss hubs, well Roval Control wheels and the hubs seem to not freewheel as when your not pedalling the chain gets pulled towards the chainstay. I have taken them apart, oiled and checked them and seem ok! Any idea what this is as can’t figure it out.

Thanks

Rob

shaggy

Sometimes this happens if they haven’t been tightened properly. Try riding it a short distance without freewheeling, that’ll tighten it up. Do they freewheel when they aren’t in the frame then tighten up when you do up the QR? Could also be that washer on the drive side of the center bearing hasn’t been located properly.

Northwind

It’s a pretty simple hub tbh and I can’t think of any parts that could fall out/get left out like with Pro 2s etc. I reckon you’ve got a duff bearing in the freehub.

ActionJackson
    Free Member

Yeah freewheel ok when not in the frame, not as much as my hope pro2’s but seem to get a bit tighter in the frame. After cleaning them they got better but went out on a long ride sunday and noticed the chain was coming down towards the chainstay so something ain’t right! Only thing i can think is that the ratchet inside the hub where the 2 ratchet washers sit isn’t tight enough but haven’t got a tool for it!

mboy
    Free Member

Sounds like its either been put back together with a washer or spring missing, or it just needs new bearings in the freehub.

DT Swiss hubs are the absolute pinnacle (IMO) of hub design and are so easy to service yourself, but that sometimes means they don’t get put back together quite correctly. I made the mistake first time of excluding one of the springs that preloads the ratchet rings together and it wouldn’t bite, and I wondered what I’d done!

Great wheels by the way…

shaggy

The internal bits all tighten up under pedal load. It sounds like something isn’t sitting quite right.
    Perhaps a silly question but have you checked your jockey wheels?

ruscle
    Free Member

I had this problem with my Rovals after converting to 12 x 142, when out of the frame spun perfectly, once clamped into the frame it wouldn’t free wheel. It turned out to be the seal between the hub main body and the free hub (I believe its metal backed and you have to punch it in with the proper tool or a hope one similar, really cheap to get a new one through LBS and get them to instal. When looking at the old versus the new one I and the shop couldn’t see any damage or difference but once installed there was no drag anymore and never had the problem again. I guarantee this will be your problem/solution 100%

PDF for DTSwiss 240 hubs

Its part no.6 on any of the rear hub diagrams, Labelled:

6. Seal hub shell/rotor part number: HSOXXX00N1031S

ActionJackson
    Free Member

Yeah checked the jockey wheels and all ok! Can you use the wrong grease or do you have to use dt swiss stuff??

ruscle
    Free Member

Use any very very thin grease. Ignore me at your peril !!!!

ActionJackson
    Free Member

thanks ruscle will try that

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 240 hubs problem’ is closed to new replies.