Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DT Freehub servicing
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I have an oem DTSwiss hub on a Sun wheel (suspect probably from a Scott)

Freehub had jammed up and stopped being free. It has actually started moving again while removing cassette but still I tad stiff. I had planned to service it like this: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=g8ZQJS0IQM0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dg8ZQJS0IQM0

However, it just doesn’t want to give up and open. I’ve tried putting cassette back on and heaving with fingers under that too.

Am I just being too gentle or is there something I’m missing different between branded 240’s and oem DT hubs? Hub still has DT logo etc, just isn’t branded 240/340 whatever …

orangeboy
    Free Member

Check the Dt Swiss web site there is a page with all the drawings and instructions for the different hubs

Most oe ones have two paws and one spring plus a plastic thing with rollers in it
    They get very full of crap
    Does yours have a nut on each end and a threaded axle ?

vincienup
    Free Member

Yup. Mine.

I’d been referring to the 240 guide but the guts seem similar.

I’m happy with what happens once I get the freehub body off, but I can’t get it to move and I’d understood it was just a good tug to yank it off the axle…

leeroybrown
    Free Member

is your axle threaded ?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Very different inside to a 240
    You need to undo that nut on the axle then pull the body off

I Normaly clamp the disc side axle in a vice Useing parks neat little protector thing to stop the thread getting damaged
    Then remove the drive side nut , it can be rather tight

vincienup
    Free Member

Ah.

Right. Undoing the nut would explain. I’d been led to believe the hub popped off round it.

Ok, will give that a go. Any reason I couldn’t just use a pair of combi spanners? Don’t currently own a bench vice… 🙂

Since you seem to know your DT, is it worth getting proper DT hub grease or is LubeJuice ( the stuff in the orange pot ) going to be ok?

Opinion seems to be as divided on this as every other ‘what lube…’ question!

Thanks!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

As Orangeboy has said.

Remove the nut from the driveside and then pull the freehub body off.

Should have 2 pawls and a circular spring.

Also will have a Plastic carrier holding bearings.

All can be replaced for £12 ish.

I use grease thinned with chain oil.

vincienup
    Free Member

Ta!

My thinking is that while the hub is currently moving its gonna foul up again if I don’t service and I might possibly wreck it, so it’s service time!

Thanks all, I’ll prolly try the LubeJuice I have to hand first. Once I know how the thing comes apart it’s not gonna be a big deal to do the job again with a thinner grease if the LubeJuice turns out to be too goopy for hub guts.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Done loads of Dt hubs both those and the 240 star ratchet ones and never had a problem with non Dt grease
    Just don’t go crazy with it round the paws

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DT Freehub servicing’ is closed to new replies.