Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • DSG users reversing / parking
  • garage-dweller

That garage dweller he just won’t sod off and buy a car have you noticed…

Thanks again. Had a chat with the dealer today think i might have a second go at it before flouncing and if all else fails there’s a nice manual alternative for sale at another place just down the road 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

DSG is by far the most awesome thing about a VW Passat. Get it, you won’t regret it 🙂

garage-dweller

Thanks molgrips I love the idea of it.

I just need to make sure I (and Mrs g-d who’s never driven an auto before ever) are not going to reverse it into something that will cost us money!

In my logical head I know it should just work but it’s a lot of money to get it wrong and hate it for years (current car has now done eight years with me). Dam I overthink stuff. 😀

Cougar

Several reasons…

– You have to move the lever further. Also, some cars unlock the doors when the car is placed into park.
    – It’s not going to be good for the gearbox if someone drives into the back of the car if it’s in park.
    – It flashes the reverse lights, scaring the car behind.

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear.

Are there any good reasons?

jamj1974

OP. Really easy to use. On level ground all the reversing speed you need is accessible by just easing off the brake. On slopes the car will hold itself against the slope and gentle pressure on the accelerator will move the car as slowly as you like.

Essential thing as with all autos – DO NOT MOVE YOUR LEFT FOOT AT ALL!

*Edit. I don’t have Hold Assist engaged.

molgrips
    Free Member

In my logical head I know it should just work but it’s a lot of money to get it wrong

You’re more flexible than you seem to think. You’ll adapt and learn to love what it’s good at. Just get on with it.

garage-dweller

Quick update….

Deposit placed
    Dsg oil change and Mot to be done
    Nice shiny (new to me) 62 plate Passat estate will be on the drive next week 😀

Thank you to everyone who contributed to my endless what about this car threads. They have been genuinely helpful.

Feeling a mix of excitement and trepidation now. The outgoing Mondeo has been outstanding in its eight years in my ownership and is still a good runner, the new motor has a lot to live up to. My expectation/hope is its 80% as good. If it does that it will still be decent.

chewkw
    Free Member

Enjoy your DSG. Yes, forget driving manual gear car from now on coz time has changed it’s all automatic gear now.

revs1972
    Free Member

Dsg oil change and Mot to be done

Keep up the oil change routine. It’s bloody expensive (paid £160 at an independent vw garage around 4 years ago and most of that charge is the oil) but its worth it to prolong the life of the box. I think it’s 40k intervals ( well was on the skoda Octavia I had)

Also have a look online when the MOT is done to see if there are any advisories . I’m picking up my new (to me) T5 tomorrow and it had front disks on the advisory , so I phoned up be told them I wanted them changed before I picked it up. It’s DSG too . Looking forward to it

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘DSG users reversing / parking’ is closed to new replies.