Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Drying riding kit after wet ride
  • scruff9252

Got home from an exceptionally wet night ride on Monday night – caked head to toe in mud. Striped off, hosed stuff down then hung up in garage to dry off. By last night the stuff was still wringing wet. A pair of waterproof trousers I was using the week prior were also still wet.

Garage is a-typical garage – couple of air bricks to front, couple of air bricks to rear and no heating.

Anyone had clever methods of drying wet kit?

jekkyl

Washing machine straight away. Tumble dryer for the stuff that can be, drying rack clothes horse thing next to the radiator over night. Are you over thinking it?

submarined
    Free Member

Wash, fast spin, hang by radiator.
    Surely it can’t be more complex than that? It’s what I did last night!

funkweasel
    Free Member

PRetty much anything can be tumble dried, really. I find. But maybe I like to risk things. Nothing’s been ruined though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the garage is cold , damp and has no air flow….

yep thats ideal drying conditions – see also calm winters days…..

mine hang on the line for the worst of the water to drip out then move onto a clothes horse near the fire.

boots go near the fire asap if i want any chance to wear them again the next day.

dont have a tumble drier and dont believe in washing waterproof fabrics more than is necessary ie if i washed mine every time it got wet and muddy it wouldnt be waterproof very long 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

Basically as @jekkyl and @submarined have said. If stuff is really mucky then a soak in a bucket to get most of it off before shoving in washing machine. We don’t put shorts/bibs with pad inserts in the drier but hang them up to dry next to the radiators.

emac65
    Free Member

the garage is cold , damp and has no air flow….

What, no one else fitted a radiator in their garage ……….. 😉

My garage is usually around 60-65 degrees when the heating’s on…

andybrad

I wont use a dryer on my mtb kit but find that sticking it in the wash the next day means it dryes quicker.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What, no one else fitted a radiator in their garage ………

naw- no insulation in the walls or properly air tight door means id be spending money to heat the atmosphere seems like wasteful madness – a bit like remapping your vw t5 they said.

mcnultycop

I always leave my shoes and helmet in the house to dry in winter, even if it’s not a rainy day but the sweat still needs to dry.

Nothing worse than a mouldy helmet strap if you leave a slightly damp helmet in the garage.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I try to avoid washing waterproof stuff too much too.

You’re not going to dry much in a garage.

My 5:10 get stuffed with nappies (got loads the youngest grew out of but they’re pennies to buy if you get cheapo supermarket ones).

Jacket get hung in the lean-to Orangery it’s not heated but it’s only a single pane of glass from the house so is warmish. Rest goes in the washer and dryer / rads.

God I hate winter.

gwurk
    Free Member

no need to tumble dry bike kit it’s all quick drying.
    Same as Submarined says above. Hose off then quick 30deg wash cycle with fast spin (incl. shoes). stuff comes out practically dry. I just hang my bike kit up on coathangers on the curtain rail in a south facing bedroom window and the sun dries it within an hour. (or above a radiator if for some strange reason it isn’t sunny)
    wet shoes dry in the boiler cupboard.

Sounds like you didn’t even wring yours out. Are you a student who’s just left home or something? 😛

whitestone
    Free Member

Our HW system is very old fashioned – we’ve a HW cylinder with airing cupboard. The cylinder is insulated but it’s still nicely warm in there so sticking helmets and shoes* in with it dries things out gently.

*Five Ten shoes excepted 🙄

fossy

Desk fan. I used to use one to dry my commuting kit at work.

cnud
    Free Member

I fitted a 45w towel rail in my garage on a timer, cheap enough to run and does a good job of drying kit.
    Clicky

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Build a drying room in your house?

Personally I wash stuff and then put it out to dry on clothes horse thing. (where ever Mrs FD doesn’t get too peed off)

I would fast spin sports clothing or tumble dry it mind.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I recently picked up a heated airer from aldi that I put up in the garage for super wet gear. It’s not massively hot but it dries stuff enough overnight/slowly which means I can then hang it next to a radiator to finish it off. The garage floor then dries by itself from the huge puddles/drips and I can just sweep any dried mud out the garage door. That way it saves carpet or the living room getting a flood or major mud.

benp1

If it needs to dry quick then inside the house. If it can be slow then my garage is fine, it’s very leaky though (through gaps in front and rear doors). I often hang a tarp or tent inside to drip dry, or my bike or motorbike go in there wet. They dry out just fine

Gary_M
    Free Member

Garage is a-typical garage – couple of air bricks to front, couple of air bricks to rear and no heating.

Anyone had clever methods of drying wet kit?

mmm some form of heating? Just a cheap wee blown air heater left on for an hour or so will make a difference. Although I take wet kit in the house to dry. I have a shoe dryer in the garage but everything else bar my helmet goes in the house.

dmorts

Washing machine straight away. Tumble dryer for the stuff that can be, drying rack clothes horse thing next to the radiator over night.

Same but get most of mud off beforehand with a hose or in the bath/shower to prolong washing machine life (I hope). Don’t machine wash my jacket each time though, this is either dried in the shed or indoors if clean enough

MadBillMcMad

Hang it in front of the aga.

Works a treat.

franksinatra

I’ve always fancied a drying cabinet. We stayed in a hotel in Finland that had them in every room for ski kit.

They circulate warm air and are much more gentle than a tumble dryer. A quick Google throws up this spendy version, I suspect there are cheaper alternatives around

Drying Cabinet

jekkyl

lol @ build a drying room.

bruneep

Wash n dry at work and use drying room for shoes and bags etc.

The one thing from work I’ll miss when I leave.

orena45

Have you seen the Kitnetik hanger?

Hangs all your kit on a magnetic hanger which you can attach to a radiator, or hang up near a heat source..

gwurk
    Free Member

a £40 coat hanger?

Yep.

cyclists will fall for that no bother. hope the guy does well fleecing them.

whitestone
    Free Member
    zippykona

Thanks to mudguards I stay clean above the knees.
    Boots I hose off and leave by radiator. Trousers are pre washed in sink and then chucked in the machine.
    Good mudguards make such a difference.
    If it’s just wet stuff I put an airier in the bath and hang it off that. Seems to dry overnight.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Drying riding kit after wet ride’ is closed to new replies.