Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Dry Trail Tyres
  • cymohndee
    Free Member

Well, for anyone who’s interested:

RR’s turned up next day, thanks Merlin. First I did a coast down test on a shallow slope to flat on dry mud. Wow. I went 30% futher on the flat with RRs, tons less rolling resistance, no brbrbrbrbr on tarmac.

Out on the FoD trails first I rode loose fine stone, on which I had noticibly less cornering grip, but they washed out progressively. A bit less braking and traction purchase, though. On dry hardpacked loam the diffence was a lot smaller. On damp hardpack, even less, very close to the nevegals in all areas execept over roots , they span out easily on those. I even got through some slimey mud without grinding to a halt.

Maybe the next experiment is something just a little more knarly on the front to up the braking capability which was the only thing I really missed. The overiding (excuse the bad pun)impression was that my bike had had gulpped a double espresso, it just zipped out of the corners a lot more eager to please. Liked that. I think in terms of smiles per mile in dry conditions the RR are good news.

jfeb
    Free Member

Nice to be able to do some kind of objective test. Thanks for the feedback.

What pressures are you running them at, out of interest? I find I can get away with pretty low pressure – 30 to 35 psi – but I ride pretty “light” and I don’t usually ride is rocky areas. Because they roll so well I find the lower pressures work well and provide more grip.

cymohndee
    Free Member

I’m 10st and have DT 5.1 rims. I felt I could get away with less than the 32ish psi i ran them at yesterday, but my track pump guage reads low i suspect! I pumped them up to 37ish to start and that was definately too high for me.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just bought a pair of Vredestein Killer Bees, they look bizzare but they get a really good review and are v light and supposedly pretty darn fast too. Not has a chavnce to test em out yet though as am a little banged up…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Still too much soft stuff around here for those sorts of tyres.

mikey74
    Free Member

“Continental gravitys have the least “square” tread pattern I can think of? the treads are little triangles? I agree though they’re rubbish.”

I didn’t mean the actual shape of the knobs, I meant the sectional profile through the whole tyre.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Dry Trail Tyres’ is closed to new replies.