Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • Dry January ?
  • MrOvershoot

I’m with WCA though I might more moist rather than damp 😉

The good thing is I’m getting more done as rather than sitting down with a drink I’m keeping myself occupied to stop me getting the wine out.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Dry here
    Seem to have more time on an evening to get things done and a bit more energy
    Been down the pub a couple of times and had tonic water and ice which isn’t quite the same as a couple of pints
    Not sure I’m any quicker on the bike

beefheart
    Free Member

I’m still going. Really struggled with cravings in the first week, but it’s much easier now. I even went to the pub without drinking.
    I seem to have more energy now, and my running mileage has increased without any conscious effort.

dustytrails

Did the dry Jan last year and was going to do it again this year but the Wife talked me out of it claiming that it had a detrimental effect as hammered it in Feb!!! Just nothing Monday to Friday 6pm – I (we) would miss calling in to the local with the dog after walkies…dog gets a packet of crisps and a pint for me and a half for the lady all very civilised!

onehundredthidiot

Still dry.
    Puffer this weekend so will be sorely tempted when I eventually get home.
    Especially with a haggis supper in hand.

the-muffin-man

Still dry, not missing it yet. Not been on a proper social though.

I have started to notice how much drink there is on telly – it seems to be everywhere, on every programme! 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well I just scored 42 out of 70 in a pub quiz despite being on my own, missing the first 2 rounds/10 questions and not formally registering as a team. I would have come 3rd overall if I had registered .

Yes, this was one of my ‘damp’ nights

Mackem

Was doing ok but missus had very long day at work, wanted to eat out and you can’t have nice food in a restaurant without a bottle of red.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Away for work tonight but resisted smashed the shit out of knees in the treadmill instead. Beefcake!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m three weeks in and feeling great. No longer wake up with an ‘urgh’. I started it unintentionally, wasn’t meant to be for ‘Dry January’ just taking a bit of time off boozing. The last couple of months before christmas with the weather being crap and motivation low it felt like I was imbibing every night, not too much but it was adding up over the week. Fully intend to take it past January too.

iainc

Burns Supper tonight at friends house – Irn Bru for me I guess 🙂

RustySpanner

Other way round.

Stuck in the house with a bad back for a month, I seem to have drunk 2 bottles of whisky, 4 bottles of wine and 8 bottles of ale over Christmas and New Year.
    That’s about my usual yearly total.
    I’ll have a dryish rest of the year instead.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

iainc – Member

Burns Supper tonight at friends house – Irn Bru for me I guess

There’ll be whisky in the cream in your cranachan.

Might as well have a dram.

iainc

^^^ I like that logic 🙂

MrOvershoot

Tonight will be one of my “moist” evenings as I don’t have to get up early or any of that schizzle.

Saturday will be a dry day though as I’m off to Manchester for the final round of the Revolution series & I’m driving so that takes any temptation away to have a drink during the day.

Sunday is the next challenge!

zinaru
    Free Member

first beers tonight since new year. friday foal.

wrightyson
    Free Member

**** that, I’m doing fatuary again this year. Put on 7lb last year eating puddings. Looking forward to killing it dead when February hits…

manvstarmac

Only started as a filthy two-week cold meant I really couldn’t face normal evening drinks of wine and beer. Realised I was about 14 days into the month and wondered how it would feel to carry on – not massively missed it but suspect it helps to know I will drink again in Feb (I’ve been happy with cordial and fizzy water but sometimes I want the taste or a cold beer or a glass of wine)

One psychological help for me has been drinking my evening drink from a wine glass. Somehow even when it’s just fizzy water it feels different and special to have it in a wine glass.

GHill

Skipping back to the first page

I am cutting back specifically to lose weight and skipping 15,000 – 20,000 calories a week does have an impact in that.

How flippin’ much do you drink? That’s about 80 pints a week.

MrOvershoot

Or 23 bottles of wine, perhaps its the associated nibbles that go with the drink as well?

badnewz
    Free Member

A damp Jan for me. Drinking every other night, due to work stress and other things that are going on.
    Well done to the dry Jan folk though!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Skipping back to the first page

I am cutting back specifically to lose weight and skipping 15,000 – 20,000 calories a week does have an impact in that.
    How flippin’ much do you drink? That’s about 80 pints a week.[/quote]

That’s only 15 to 20 Kcal, a sip of Top Deck shandy I should think

cranberry
    Free Member

I’m still dry, still feeling good, have lost a little weight and feel very positive, but…

…this month seems to be lasting half a life time and I’ve found myself counting down the days until I get my feet wet again with an evening of wine and tasty nibbles.

boltonjon

Still dry and still noticing much difference…

Kind of missing my Saturday & Sunday morning hangovers though…i kind of wake up too early and end up pottering around for ages before heading out on the bike…

Gonna try and keep of mid week boozing come February mind

iainc

Aye, into final week ! Think will keep it going a bit longer, certainly on school nites !

beefheart
    Free Member

I’m quite enjoying waking up with a clear head everyday, and feeling more alert.
    I intend to keep it going beyond January too.

iainc

Home straight now folks, last dry weekend about to get underway 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

#Buckiemonday

iainc

^^^^ now there’s a plan 🙂 Maybe I should come to Ayrshire for the day ….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye right, you’re in Lanarkshire, deep in the heart of Buckie country!

From wiki –

Buckfast is very popular in Scotland, the sales of the product were monitored in 2014 by the Scottish government to see the “Buckfast Triangle” still stood. The test showed that the towns and cities where Buckfast was sold highest per Capita was: 1.Glasgow and surrounding areas 2.East Kilbride 3.Hamilton 4.Cambuslang 5.Coatbridge This test shows that many South Lanarkshire has the most areas in the top five showing it is very popular there.

iainc

knew you’d bite 🙂

quite fancy this tho..

A bakery that sold cakes with a Buckfast-laced ingredient is at the centre of a licensing investigation after the Ayrshire firm was criticised by alcohol awareness groups.

Patthead Bakery in New Cumnock sold a limited number of ‘cronuts’, a cross between a croissant and a doughnut invented in New York, with traces of Buckfast added to the filling.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/bakery-probed-after-buckfast-laced-cronuts-sold-1-3131232#ixzz3ydMHVl22
    Follow us: @TheScotsman on Twitter | TheScotsmanNewspaper on Facebook

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

Alex

I started early, so I finished early as well. Wrote a thing: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=3642

The first sip was very disappointing. Things improved immeasurably after that.

iainc

That’s a great read ^^^^

Haven’t missed it at all here, although could fair go a glass or 3 of Rioja now 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve only just noticed this thread, but hve had an intentionally moist january….

rather than the almost obligatory 2-3 beers at work i’ve declined. so far i’ve had only four Augustiners whilst at work. i’ve not even drunk all of the ales i brought back from the UK… think i’ve still got two left (down from eight).

and i’ve not had a “proper” smoke for over three weeks. my lungs feel better for it. no coughing up phlegm in the mornings, which is nice. i did however have a toke the other day and i felt wrecked…. which was quite nice, tbh. usually need at least a fat doobie to myself to feel something. (i’m not boasting…. it was just a revelation after smoking at least two or three a day for the last eight months!).

although i did have three beers with a friend in town today. i don’t feel pissed, but i’m glad he had a concert to go to. didn’t fancy another.

and so far this month i’ve lost over 5kg without even trying… long may it continue.

Clobber
    Free Member

2 more sleeps…

binners
    iainc

🙂

Might break the rules and have a dram on a school nite later….

Clobber
    Free Member

By this point anything vaguely amber in colour looks like lager to me, earlier I licked a golden retriever.”

😆

(from binners link…)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was only ever aiming for a Damp January and I drank on fewer days than I was dry so that counts as a victory!

No obvious benefits though but I will try to maintain my lower intake going forward.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Dry January ?’ is closed to new replies.