Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Drumlanrig, is it worth a visit?
  • geologist
    Free Member

I travelled up to Largs today for work reasons. I stopped off at Mabie and Ae on route, and had a very enjoyable day. I thought Ae was much better than the reviews I’v seen on it give it credit for.

Anyway, I have 3/4 of a day to kill tomorrow, before I have to get on a ship. Drumlanrig in only 1h 20 minutes from my hotel, and as Ive never ridden it, was wondering if it was worth the trip and the carpark fee! Its really my only option as I will need some showers. I may have gone to Ae or Mabie again, but all the facilities are shut. Ae no longer has a cafe at all!

Or do I spend the afternoon mooching around Glasgow city centre 🙂

Your thoughts on Drumlanrig please.

Cheers all

geoffj

Go to Dalbeatie instead

geologist
    Free Member

Theres no showers. At least not last time I went.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ae and Mabie are more like Drumlanrig than Dalbeattie, except unlike Mabie and Ae, Drum isn’t shite.

I’d go to Drumlanrig- ride the trails fast and it’s fun. Easy to get lost though!

hels
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is awesome. Rooty twisty hand built singletrack yum yum yum.

I am pretty sure there are showers, in fact I recall showering after a race there once. But perhaps I was hallucinating with fatigue and somebody threw a bucket of water over me. Phone Rik at the Bike Shed to find out some facts I would suggest.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is well worth a visit though may be a bit ‘damp’ at the moment, it pi$$es all over Dalbeattie imo.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Drumlanrig if its dry ..loads of roots. Agree that AE is better than peopel give credit for. Personally think Dalbeattie is the best of the lot round there.

mt
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is great to visit, go.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’d go with drumlanrig over dalbeatie, but only because ‘drum reminded me of mountain biking as a kid (ragging round the woods) where as Dalbeatie is just a good trail centre if that makes sense?

Northwind

Drumlanrig is fantastic, always worth a visit. Pretty sure there are showers. I like Dalbeattie too, but Drum is just a bit special.

Ae, mmm. Gets a worse rep than it deserves mainly because it’s outclassed by its neighbours. If you lifted it up and dropped it in, say, Surrey then it’d probably get rave reviews.

Garry_Lager

The trees are nice at Drumlanrig. Much more variety than the 7stanes sites. Make for an atmospheric ride IMO.

The trees at Ae were a particular disappointment. A lot of felling where the trail goes over the hills.

legend
    Free Member

Definitely showers at Drumlanrig. Pretty good ones too from memory

moonsaballoon

Well worth it . i like to do the red with the first black section . There is something quite cool about riding up to the big house at the end !

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers all, Drum it is 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is fantastic. A small investment in a map will really help you as there are few variations and combinations of trails you can follow.

pottsathome
    Free Member

It’s even dry tonight which is good. Rain forecast for drumlanrig tomorrow though

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Drumlanrig, is it worth a visit?’ is closed to new replies.