Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Drum kit – floor area
  • bruneep

Probably going to regret this…

Approx. how much floor space does a drum kit take up?

No2 son has been getting lessons and is now after a kit of his own. Just want to make sure that it won't take over his room.

B

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well we allow a minimum size for a drum riser on a stage of 6'x6'. On flat floor that's a bit overkill, but not massively so. 8'x8' if it's a full double kick drum all singing all dancing RAAAWK effort.

souldrummer
    Free Member

i suppose a lot will depend on the set up of the kit. If it's a standard 4/5 piece with the hanging toms on the bass drum and a couple of cymbal stands and hi-hat then JonEdwards estimate sounds about right. Toms on separate stands, more cymbals and more than one floor tom will, obviously need more place. The problem I find in confined space is the spread of the cymbal stand legs; you think you have it all nicely tucked into the postage stamp size the pub has allowed you and then you relaise you have one more cymbals stand to fit in!!! Part of the reason I rarely go out with more than a 4 piece kit now unless I know the venue/stage!!!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Can't really add to that. Mine has two toms on a stand as well as the two on the bass drum, but I also have a lot of cymbals. Mine takes up about 8'x6'

Sonor
    Free Member

Drums

I think mine was roughly the same, its a fairly big kit, but I used a drum rack to mount the cymbals on which reduced the footprint a bit.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

depends on what he wants, i'd say go to the drum shop with a tape measure, but nevermind floor area, what about sound insulation? i used to have a roland td-10, when used with headphones, though you couldn't hear the sound of the drum, you could certainly hear the physical hitting of the drums and the bass pedal on the floor.

tootallpaul

Bruneep- I have two kits for sale at the moment.

An electronic one (Yamaha DTXpress) and an accoustic one (Mapex M Birch)

If your in the London area, give me a shout- going for a song as I'm leaving the country…

P

tootallpaul

And have a think about electronic kits- sound great now, smaller footprint than accoustic, and quieter.

Don't "feel" quite as good as accoustic kits.

P

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, they're getting there. need some serious padding under the kick pad though, unless you live in a detached house and the rest of the family can tolerate the thump thump thump coming through the floor

bruneep

Cheers guys

TTP – In Aberdeen

Will have a look at electronic kits.

Hmmmmm thump thump thump 😕

nbt

tootallpaul – Member

Bruneep- I have two kits for sale at the moment.

An electronic one (Yamaha DTXpress) and an accoustic one (Mapex M Birch)

If your in the London area, give me a shout- going for a song as I'm leaving the country…

If I sing for you, can I have the Mapex kit? Can't afford to payyou any actual money, like 😉

tootallpaul

I think the new Roland kit has solved a lot of the thump thump thump of the original electroic kits, and comes with a mesh snare that is great for feel.

This is the puppy… http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Roland-HD-1-V-Drum-Lite-Drum-Kit/7ZN

nbt- wish I could mister… 😀

momo

I would second the recomendation for looking at electronic kits. I love my acoustic kit, but it's very loud and annoys the neighbors so I have to limit the times when I can practice at home.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Drum kit – floor area’ is closed to new replies.