Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Drugs mule prisoner transfer
  • unknown
    Free Member

So there’s been an official application for that young drugs mule to serve her sentence in Scotland rather than Peru. How do these things work – are we the taxpayers expected to pick up the bill for her incarceration if she does return here, or does Peru pay us for enforcing their sentence?

Edit – send me down for 6-12 months for wrong forum offenses!

kilo

They serve their time in a UK prison and this is covered by UK budget, prisoners from overseas can also request to serve their sentence in their home country. Slightly different rules in scotland to do with the time to serve. The rules are;

You must be British or have close links with the UK (normally through permanent
    residence).
    ? Your sentence must be final (i.e. you cannot be going through any appeal process
    against your conviction or sentence in the country where you are detained). You can,
    however, still apply, even if you have an appeal pending at the European Court of
    Human Rights in Strasbourg.
    ? The offence for which you have been sentenced must also be an offence under UK
    law (e.g. in some countries it may be illegal to possess/distribute alcohol, which it is
    not in the UK).
    ? You must have a minimum time left to serve when you place your application, usually at least 6 months. In some cases a longer time is required – check with local consular staff or with the prison authorities.
    ? Outstanding financial penalties (fines) may be an obstacle to your application for transfer. As it would become difficult for the country you are held in to collect the fine
    once you are back in the UK, they might want you to clear your fine before you leave. This can be a problem for people imprisoned in a country (such as France) where customs fines are imposed in addition to a prison sentence for drug-related offences.
    ? You can only be transferred if there is an agreement in place between the UK and the
    country where you are imprisoned. Agreements are in place with the following
    countries:
    Albania*
    Andorra*
    Anguilla
    Antigua & Barbuda
    Armenia*
    Australia
    Austria*
    Azerbaijan *
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belgium*
    Bermuda
    Bolivia
    Bosnia Herzegovina*
    Brazil
    British Virgin Islands
    Bulgaria*
    Canada
    Chile
    Cook Islands
    Costa Rica
    Croatia*
    Cuba
    Cyprus*
    Czech Republic*
    Denmark*
    Ecuador
    Egypt
    Estonia*
    Finland*
    France*
    Georgia*
    Germany*
    Ghana
    Gibraltar*
    Greece*
    Grenada
    Hong Kong
    Hungary*
    Iceland*
    India
    Ireland*
    Israel
    Italy*
    Japan
    Korea
    Latvia*
    Laos
    Lesotho
    Libya
    Liechtenstein*
    Lithuania*
    Luxembourg*
    Macedonia*
    Malawi
    Malta*
    Mauritius
    Mexico
    Moldova*
    Montenegro*
    Morocco
    Netherlands*
    Nicaragua
    Nigeria
    Norway*
    Pakistan
    Panama
    Peru
    Poland*
    Portugal*
    Romania*
    Russia*
    St Lucia
    Samoa
    San Marino*
    Saudi Arabia
    Serbia*
    Slovakia*
    Slovenia*
    South Korea
    Spain*
    Sri Lanka
    Suriname
    Sweden*
    Switzerland *
    Thailand
    Tonga
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Turkey*
    Uganda
    Ukraine*
    USA
    Venezuela
    Vietnam

I did know a couple who got 14 years each in a turkish prison – that would be a tad unpleasant!

unknown
    Free Member

Thanks. Seems a bit shabby that we have to pay and I’d be inclined to leave her where she is but I guess it evens itself out a bit if there are prisoners going both ways.

toys19
    Free Member

Can I ask what you would see as the purpose of leaving her there if the facility exists to bring her here?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can I ask what you would see as the purpose of leaving her there if the facility exists to bring her here?

I reckon a lot of folk “here” get a bit moist at the thought of the suffering that prisoners endure in prisons “there”. (Not saying the OP necessarily thinks that, but with the kind of holiday camps we have “here” with playstations, xbox, the Interweb, Facebook and libraries, it’s no wonder some want to see them punished “there”.)

unknown
    Free Member

She committed the crime there, why shouldn’t she face the consequences of the Peruvian justice system? It doesn’t sit right with me that the some of the tax we all pay could be spent to make a criminal’s life more pleasant. And it’s hugely expensive to keep a prisoner behind bars, from a practical point of view, if someone else is paying for that already, why would we want to take over?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

She committed the crime in that country adding to their misery caused by drugs and the associated violence and crime. She owes her debt of to the place she committed the crime. Justice has to be seen to be done.

Has nothing to do with money. Look at it in terms of crime and punishment

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Apart from anything else it gives her mother and family a reasonable prospect of regularly visiting her. And prison visits are a long established recognised right.

Unless of course you think her mother and family should also be punished ?

Sandwich

The punishment is loss of liberty DD not a harsh prison environment. If we put as much effort into the lack of rehabilitation inside as we do to the “holiday camp” or “warehouse” they are attending the country might do a better job of reducing the recidivism in the prison population.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Prison where the crime has been committed IMO.

sbob
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Unless of course you think her mother and family should also be punished?

Doesn’t matter what I think, it’s the child that is punishing the parents.
    💡

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter what I think

I wasn’t suggesting that it did.

sbob
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

I wasn’t suggesting that it did.

A predictable response.
    Now why don’t you take your bleeding heart and have a think about what
    else I wrote?

That’s the trouble with the left, no sense of personal responsibility.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now why don’t you take your bleeding heart and have a think about what
    else I wrote?

I did. And I didn’t think much of it.

aP
    Free Member

At least now she’s coming back to the uk, she’ll just become a regular prisoner and we won’t have to hear about her on the news all the time. I don’t particularly have a problem with prisoners being transferred back to the UK, maybe she’ll be able to learn something so that she won’t do something stupid when she finally gets out.
    I always thought prison was supposed to be as much about rehabilitation as about punishment. After all why would you want to release time served people who have no useful skills for society?

poly
    Free Member

but with the kind of holiday camps we have “here” with playstations, xbox, the Interweb, Facebook and libraries, it’s no wonder some want to see them punished “there”.)

Ah… accurate reporting there. No internet in prison (although there is discussion about very limited access to help prisoners prepare for the world beyond bars), certainly no facebook. No playstations or Xbox in cells – and I’m not sure they are even in communal areas. No idea why you would think a Library was a bad idea in a prison…

Apart from anything else it gives her mother and family a reasonable prospect of regularly visiting her. And prison visits are a long established recognised right.

and it is widely recognised that regular family contact is a key factor in helping prisoners rehabilitate and get back on their feet when they come out. Which is why:

from a practical point of view, if someone else is paying for that already, why would we want to take over?

since she will come back to the UK at the end of her sentence its in “our” interests to do everything we can to rehabilitate her so that in her mid-late 20’s she might make 50 odd years of useful contribution to society rather than having her returned so broken she is a burden on the state for the rest of her life – if you want to make it a purely economic issue.

johnners
    Free Member

It doesn’t sit right with me that the some of the tax we all pay could be spent to make a criminal’s life more pleasant.

I’m okay with chipping in my share to make a British citizen’s life a bit more tolerable, criminal or not. Apart from the compelling compassionate grounds, there’s probably a better chance of rehabilitation here. Or do you just think people should be punished harder and written off?

El-bent
    Free Member

Or do you just think people should be punished harder and written off?

Judging by the public mood on this issue and a few on this thread, it would seem so. They are wrong of course. I guess we better build some more prisons then, at great expense, and get private firms to run them at great expense.

unknown
    Free Member

What about this angle then? If a Peruvian prison is “worse” than a UK prison, isn’t the fact that foreign nationals won’t have to serve their sentence in them less of a deterrent?

I’m more interested in the merits of transferring prisoners between justice systems than I am about how well our prisons do or don’t rehabilitate. Strikes me as odd that people can be treated differently in the eyes of the law – a Peruvian girl and a Scottish girl can commit the same crime in the same place at the same time but end up in very different prisons half a world apart.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah… accurate reporting there.

Apologies for the lack of a smiley. The inaccuracies were entirely intentional. 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Who else had to look up “recidivism”?

Good word BTW – I’m gonna struggle to get that into a conversation, though 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

We should respect the views of the Peruvian people and government.

A formal application for repatriation has been made by the authorities in Peru to the Scottish Prison Service.

Lots of people airing their cosy western views without considering the victims.

johnners
    Free Member

Seems a bit shabby that we have to pay

Strikes me as odd that people can be treated differently in the eyes of the law

Make your mind up, are you troubled that people may be being treated inequitably or do you just want to save a few bob?

unknown
    Free Member

I don’t think the 2 views I expressed are mutually exclusive are they?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We should respect the views of the Peruvian people and government.

Isn’t that what this whole thread is about…..Peru agreeing to the transfer of a prisoner ?

Or are those who are expressing “cosy western views” suggesting that Peru should be forced to hand her over against their will ?

jonba
    Free Member

johnners – Member
    It doesn’t sit right with me that the some of the tax we all pay could be spent to make a criminal’s life more pleasant.
    I’m okay with chipping in my share to make a British citizen’s life a bit more tolerable,

But you don’t care about the peruvians?

ernie_lynch – Member

I wonder if it would be more cost effective to fly her parents over there a handful of times a year or have her in a British prison?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But you don’t care about the peruvians?

The person in question was convicted of attempting to smuggle narcotics OUT of Peru, she was probably more helping poor Peruvians farmers get their produce to market than causing them much harm. The “victims” tend mostly to be in Western countries such as the UK.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

It amazes me that some people still hanker after a life of crime then cry pity tears when they get caught.

It amazes me that some people think we should pity them for their life choices.

Afterall, they chose to do the crime.

So with that you support crime?

The reason the Peruvians are willing to send the criminal back here is purely down to the bad press they will receive for the conditions and incarceration this person is being subject to, for committing a crime. A crime that if gone unnoticed and they had gotten away with it would have made these peoples lives (who committed the crime, once sold the goods/drugs) I’d say far better off yet at the same time made many more lives fall deeper into a pit of dispare and continue the ever decreasing circle of drugs supply and demand.

You can not bring into the equation the parents view, it’s the person that committed the crime that should be forced to pay the price back to society, in this case Peruvian society.

It’s not even a sad story, they knew exactly what they were doing when they chose to break the law.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The reason the Peruvians are willing to send the criminal back here is purely down to the bad press they will receive for the conditions and incarceration this person is being subject to, for committing a crime.

You say that as if it’s fact, and not conjecture. Is there evidence that this is why the Peruvians want to send her back?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Strikes me as odd that people can be treated differently in the eyes of the law – a Peruvian girl and a Scottish girl can commit the same crime in the same place at the same time but end up in very different prisons half a world apart.

Peru has no interest in the humanitarian angle it is just after saving a few quid. I thought you would commend them.

Once sentenced they have different choices of prison due to nationality Its no that hard to see why we only allow our citizens to come to our prisons and work out why they dont allow their citizens to go abroad.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they chose to do the crime

The women had reportedly told the Peruvian authorities they were working in Ibiza and did not meet before they were both kidnapped at gunpoint and forced to travel to Majorca.

They claimed they were then sent to Peru and forced to carry the drugs in their luggage.

Its not like drug dealers would bully threaten or force vulnerable young females to do this now is it …there such a nice bunch of thugs those dealer dudes.

There seems a lot of folk who have no empathy for other folk in shitty situations.

unknown
    Free Member

Yeah, and people would never lie once caught to try and get out of it would they?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Peru has no interest in the humanitarian angle it is just after saving a few quid.

😕 Are you being serious ? If so, have you got any proof to back up that quite remarkable claim ?

imnotverygood

The women had reportedly told the Peruvian authorities they were working in Ibiza and did not meet before they were both kidnapped at gunpoint and forced to travel to Majorca.

They claimed they were then sent to Peru and forced to carry the drugs in their luggage. & you believe that one do you?
    What bugs me is the way the BBC Scotland news reports on this & calls her ‘Melissa’ as if she is some sort of victim 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you being serious ?

No , is it not obvious?

& you beieve that one do you?

Are you claiming it never happens?

What bugs me is the way the BBC Scotland news reports on this & calls her ‘Melissa’ as if she is some sort of victim

What they are actually using her name when talking about her that really is **** outrageous

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No , is it not obvious?

Obviously it wasn’t to me. At least I wasn’t sure. Fair enough

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was taking the piss out of those who said leave her there to save money…perhaps i did not do it very well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

perhaps i did not do it very well.

Perhaps you did it too well !

imnotverygood

What they are actually using her name when talking about her that really is **** outrageous

Just like the way they now say ‘Sir Jimmy’ when they refer to a certain sex abuser.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

She hasn’t been convicted of child abuse. I doubt many people are “horrified” by her crime. Try and keep some sort of perspective. Although to be fair the obvious solution for you would be to switch over to Sky News or ITV where presumably they only refer to her as Ms. Reid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Drugs mule prisoner transfer’ is closed to new replies.