Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dropping chain with NW and zee clutch mech?
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

I seem to be dropping the chain more often recently going down rougher stuff and I’m not really sure why.

Never had this problem when I first went with a NW and clutch mech. The clutch mechanism seems to work fine but I can hear the chain chattering about a bit. Chain and cassette are fairly new and I’ve checked the chain stretch and it doesn’t need replacing yet.

Any ideas? Should I be running a chain guide?

theraggyone
    Free Member

mine started doing the same over rough stuff after about 5 months , I tightened the clutch which helped but it still wasn’t perfect. In the end I fitted a top guide as I would rather not worry about the odd dropped chain and its been fine ever since

nemesis
    Free Member

As NW rings wear they become less reliable at holding the chain – how much use has the chainring had?

Also, tighten the clutch.

Or just ride less bumpy trails/ride more smoothly 🙂

legend
    Free Member

people tend/want to forget/ignore that the clutch+n/w ring was never said to completely replace chain retention. Even the very first Sram marketing videos commented that you didn’t need a chain guide in “some conditions”

BoardinBob

Happened to me three times in races now. Keeping the NW but I’m sticking on a chain guide. It’s cost me so much time.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i replced my chain anyway, did the trick. worth a try if you have a spare? also maybe make it a link shorter – the zee cage is tiny.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ve had the chainring about 4-5 months, will have a look and see if there is any noticeable wear but I was hoping it would last a fair while longer…

I’ll tighten the clutch and see if it makes a difference but looks like I should probably buy a top guide.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’d bet that it’s to do with the chain wearing and becoming more flexible sideways more than the ring wearing.

jobro
    Free Member

Please don’t think I’m being rude OP, but have you checked the clutch is on?
    Only saying ‘cos I left mine off after a wheel change

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Haha yes the clutch is on (the last few times it came off anyway!).

Interesting about the chain wear, do you replace your chain before a chain checker fits?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dropping chain with NW and zee clutch mech?’ is closed to new replies.