Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Dropping a banana skin dilemma
  • redstripe
    Free Member

It’s organic so is it litter if you drop one, maybe yes in a built up area maybe not in the country, a strange debate at work with no agreement reached. Consensus?

project
    Free Member

They dont seem to rot away just go black and yucky, try it.

richmars

If it’s not found in the ‘country’ it’s litter. Put it in a bin.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamesco

do a forum search, was a long debate on this last year

Pook

If you take it there, take it home with you.

lemonysam
    Free Member

They take months to decompose and since people tend to stop in similar places for lunch they can make a right mess. Take them home.

nicko74

Biodegradable, although admittedly not native. If you fling it far enough from the path into the forest it shouldn’t get in anyone’s way for a while.
    I’d say chuck it – it’s only going in your bin at home otherwise

PMK2060

They can be slippery so I usually wrap mine in a crisp packet before throwing them on the traIl when out on the bike.

Taff
    Free Member

I chuck mine in the hedgerow and off the path. Keep it if its in a built up area, park etc

taxi25
    Free Member

^ this.

alpin
    Free Member

take it with you…. pick up some of those bags for fruit and veg at the supermarket and drop the skins into one of those.

banana skins take ages to decompose and are unsightly. animals don’t eat them either, like they do with apple cores.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

take it home you unsightly gits, then put it in your compost.

They take ages to decompose, the countryside also happens to be where “Other People” live and work rather than a playground for city people.

mushrooms
    Free Member

How long do they take to biodegrade in native banana countries?

matt_outandabout

Bin it. Bin anything, nothing left behind if you can help it – regardless of location.

chewkw
    Free Member

FFS! It’s bloody banana skin. In the 3rd world or under developed world or barbaric world … you simply toss the skin into the garden to act as natural fertiliser. It will simply rot …

bruneep
    alpin
    Free Member

In the 3rd world or under developed world or barbaric world … you simply toss the skin into the garden to act as natural fertiliser. It will simply rot …

go there then and live amongst the filth….

they also throw away all other manner of crap. should we do the same?

maggot.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    FFS! It’s bloody banana skin. In the 3rd world or under developed world or barbaric world … you simply toss the skin into the garden to act as natural fertiliser. It will simply rot …

Cheers for the advice I’ll remember to lob them into your garden on the way past

plecostomus
    Free Member

Take it home. If you carry it in carry it out. The amount of times I’ve seen a banana skin left in the open or with a rock placed on top, like that makes it disappear and rot quicker.

A load of rot: how long your litter takes to biodegrade

Paper bag – 1 month

Apple core – 8 weeks

Orange peel and banana skins – 2 years

Cigarette end – 18 months to 500 years

Plastic bag – 10 to 20 years

A plastic bottle – 450 years

Chewing gum – 1 million years

From Keep Britain Tidy (keepbritaintidy,org)

chewkw
    Free Member

Orange peel and banana skins – 2 years

LOL! Are we eating imported plastic bananas?

Why not do you own experiment to determine how long it will remain intact?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why not do you own experiment to determine how long it will remain intact?

Yep lets all chuck our banana skins into chewkw’s garden and see how long they last. They hang around for a long time, it’s not like many other things that are fairly native here.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why not take them home? It’s selfish not to.

Take Buachaille Etive Mor – 50000 visitors a year or thereabouts – thats a lot of banana skins if everyone leaves one behind. Probably enough to cover most of it.

One of the reasons they take so long to biodegrade on hills is that they spend a hell of a lot of the time frozen.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Take it home. If you carry it in carry it out.

This, If you eat something from the trail (apple, berries, whatever) then fine to drop kick the remains of that into the nearest bush but anything you carried in with you should be carried out.

Doubly so for anything not native to the countryside, regardless of how long it takes to rot away, I imagine the next person along the trail is unlikely to want to see the remains of someone else’s lunch sat on a rock whilst they take in the view.

Also fag butts, not sure why people don’t think these count as litter. They do, especially when you empty the remains of your cars sash tray onto the floor of the car park.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Eat them . Plenty of fibre .

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Give them to an Italian plumber, see if he has any use for them

yunki
    Free Member

won’t somebody think of the children..!?

dyna-ti

Wait for a soft top with the roof down to come along 😈

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yunki why the picture edit?

maccruiskeen

How long do they take to biodegrade in native banana countries?

Are you planning to post yours back?

yunki
    Free Member

Yunki why the picture edit?

creative vanity –

honeybadgerx

Take it home every time, no excuses, you bothered taking the whole thing with you so taking part of it back isn’t exactly a hardship.

Some of the tops of popular peaks in the Lakes are disgusting with the amount of litter everywhere.

makeitorange
    Free Member

I’ve always thrown my apple cores and banana skins into the bushes when out on the trail, genuinely didn’t think there was anything wrong with it or realise it offended people, will start taking home and putting in my composter. I’ve never just thrown them in the street though, that’s just grim.

wordnumb
    Free Member

What tyres for half-rotted banana skins?

(Another vote for take them home.)

joshbosh12
    Free Member

There’s absolutely no excuse for littering – no matter what it is. What really grinds my gears is seeing empty gel packs on the trail. If you had somewhere to bring it with you, you’ve got somewhere to put it to take it home.

wallace1492
    Free Member

If I am on a hill/mountain I would take it back down. If I am a low level walk/cycle, I would chuck it somewhere well out of the way, under bushes/hedge. If nowhere out of the way enough, I would carry it till bin.

growinglad
    Free Member

Who said two years for a banana skin?? Where was that figure pulled from?

It’s about 3-4 weeks, crickey, they only last 4-6 days in my fruit bowl.

I won’t just drop em on a path, if I can lob it in a bush where it can break down in peace and not be an eye sore, I don’t see the problem.

Fag butts were a pet hate of mine, even when I smoked, I always took them with me, or put them in a proper bin (once soaked with water).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wallace1492 – Member
    If I am on a hill/mountain I would take it back down. If I am a low level walk/cycle, I would chuck it somewhere well out of the way, under bushes/hedge. If nowhere out of the way enough, I would carry it till bin.

How did you transport said banana to the trail?

If anyone thinks they have nowhere to put the skin I can suggest somewhere, wet lube will help.

wallace1492
    Free Member

wallace1492 – Member

How did you transport said banana to the trail?

If anyone thinks they have nowhere to put the skin I can suggest somewhere, wet lube will help.

Never said transporting it was a problem. It takes 3-4 weeks for a Banana skin to decompose (longer if on the top of a hill) so I never leave in higher areas that are subject to long frozen times.

mogrim

Chuck em off the edge of the trail, rather they rot down outside than stuck in a landfill. They go black in a couple of days, unless they’re hanging from a tree they’re not massively unsightly.

On a massively popular route (Snowdon, for example) I can see an argument for taking them home, but anywhere else?

zokes
    Free Member

but anywhere else?

Question: do you like seeing other people’s litter?

Answer: No.

That would by why then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Dropping a banana skin dilemma’ is closed to new replies.