Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dropper stuck in steel frame :(
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I always grease up before an insertion but I guess it’s been a while since I pulled out 😐

Frame is a Blue Pig X, post is a KS i950.

I’ve poured a little 10W fork oil into the seat tube via the BB shell and through the cable guide bolt holes in the seat stays as well as top tube. It’s upside down now to marinade a while.

I’m not feeling particularly hopeful this will work, are there any hints/tips that leave both the post and frame intact? I’ll wrestle with it again tomorrow once things have seeped a little 😡

oli31
    Free Member

Couple of kettles of boiling water over the offending area, some plus gas and elbow grease? Failing that a blow torch but that might ruin both post and frame, good luck!

somafunk

Remove the wheels, tip frame upside down, place the seatpost saddle clamp with two sections of softwood skirting board (or similar as you want the soft wood to deform and grab the saddle clamp) in the jaws of a large vice, tighten vice, get someone to hold everything steady and gently twist the frame back and forth till the seatpost frees off.

julioflo
    Free Member

Maybe try pouring some coke into the frame to eat any corrosion. I think

spooky_b329

Another vote for plusgas. And try knocking/twisting the post a little further in as well as out…it doesn’t matter what direction it moves first, once it budges a little you are going to win.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Totally weird that this has happenned. Stuck posts only normally happen on old bikes that have been left out in the rain. Was the poast the right size?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Post is the right size, I ride all year round and the inside of the frame is a little rusty (dusty rust, not furry).

I think I’ll try the soft clamp/vice twist thing but I’m concerned about mashing the keyway that stops the stanchion from twisting in the seatpost.

I’ve read coke will eat through both metals, plusgas sounds good though.

Thanks all for the replies so far 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Overnight in a chest freezer followed by heat gun? Saves doing any damage but might ruin the Brussels… 🙂

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I had the same issue with a Blue Pig + Joplin. I wouldnt recommend clapping a dropper post by the saddle and twisting the frame…

I used the coke method, which worked for me.

kayak23

Heating won’t work as the aluminum of the post expands faster than the steel of the tube, so it would just become more stuckerer..
    Fork oil too thick. Plusgas will hopefully work. You could try giving it a few sharp whacks with a hammer, protected with some wood, try to free it.
    Otherwise, coke and that…

binners

I had an alloy post stuck fast in a steel frame, and asked the same question on here. I couldn’t understand it either as i’d put plenty of grease in there. Someone suggested what Somafunk describes above. It may even have been the gentleman himself.

It worked a treat! Mind you, it didn’t half go with a bang when it freed up!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Coke wont damage the post or the frame. It comes in aluminum cans FFS. It is a v weak phosphoric acid solution that will dissolve the oxide that’s formed.

parkesie
    Free Member

Remove 1 bottle cage bolt squirt in some lighter fluid add spark see how far a seat post will go or die in a exploding ball of fire and pipe.

kayak23

Any joy?

parkesie
    Free Member

Hope he didnt try my suggestion…

nealy
    Free Member

Use ammonia, google it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dropper stuck in steel frame :(’ is closed to new replies.