Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dropper seatposts, which one?
  • momo

I quite fancy a dropper seatpost for my blur, but which one should I go for?

The KS950i @ £199.99 (lever under saddle)

The Joplin 3 @ £110 (lever under saddle)

Joplin 4 @ £209.99 (remote – £179.99 for lever under saddle)

or the Rock Shox Reverb @ £224.99 (remote only)

I know that the KS and RS ones are both 5″ drop while the Joplins are 3″ and 4″, will this be enough as I like to run my saddle fairly high for pedalling, and would like to be able to drop it out of the way for DH sections.

AlexSimon

I find 3″ is enough to transform the feel of the bike. It’s enough to feel like it’s no longer in the way. However, more is always going to be better.

I also think that it’s the remote that completes the experience for me. There are many times I set off on a down, or get in the middle of a tricky bit and want to lower it, in those situations taking your hands off the bars isn’t an option.

If it were me, now. I’d get the Reverb. Just because I’ve never been confident with the Joplin reliability (although 2pure are very good).

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ks i900 non remote, 5″ here. £144 from leisure lakes. Very happy with it after destroying my speedball which was weak in comparison. Drops right out of the way for ass on the rear tyre stuff.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Having ridden a remote and a non remote, I would go for the remote hands down. The non remote is an improvement over a fixed saddle height, but I found I only used it to drop the saddle all the way, but with the remote I found I used it a hell of a lot more, when I wanted to drop the saddle just enough to take advantage of the terrain a bit more than with the saddle fully up.

Must be the downhiller in me, wanting to take advantage of anything pointing remotely downwards.

I’m holding out for the Reverb. It’s going to be a long 3 months wait, but the Joplins didn’t impress me greatly, the newer one was better than the earlier model I tried, but they need an awful lot of TLC to keep them sweet.

I haven’t really looked at the KS one, partly because with the remote, it was more than the Reverb.

Filthy
    Free Member

Matt you need a Rase post with 9″ drop… I’ll let you have a play with my 9″ black mamba next time your up 😉

website

momo

Phil I don’t think I could handle your 9″ Black Mamba!

matt23
    Free Member

My brand spanking new Rock Shox Reverb post will be for sale first week of December when my Whyte 146 Works arrives……handlebar operated if you would be interested 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Can’t complain about my gravity dropper at all. Worth a look at

bol

Yep, I reckon the gravity dropper is great too. Not pretty, but reliable and no slopping about like the Joplin.

Junkyard
    Free Member

gd for years of hassle free use and lifetine guarantee they do honour.
    Remote or dont bother

chiefgrooveguru

GD turbo or not? I’ve heard the turbo can be dangerously fast…

firestarter
    Free Member

mine is a remote multi drop not the turbo. it just works day in day out cant ask for more

bol

In my experience you only release the gd turbo once without gripping the saddle with your thighs. I think I’d rather have had my seat full hight and gone over the bars! No problem once you get your technique right though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

joplin 3 + separate remote kit from CRC, and use the extra 10% emailed discount voucher? Buying them separately is cheaper than getting the remote-fitted post alone which is out of stock anyway.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25015
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25016

I got one from them recently (for £130 so they have put prices up), remote means I use it all the time even for minor adjustments, the tiny rotational play isnt noticeable in the saddle (your arse probably moves more than the saddle ever would) and I find 3″ plenty even for arse-over-wheel steep stuff.

I’ve fitted a neoprene fork boot from new to keep the worst of the cack off, consensus is either this, a bit of old inner tube, or weekly servicing and premature failure. 2 year warranty and 2Pure have a good rep for back-up which allayed my concerns having read mixed reviews.

Northwind

Definately Gravity Dropper… Sure they’re ugly but they’re light and they work. Loads of people end up fitting shonky DIY boots to Joplins etc anyway which makes them even uglier than the GD is, and doesn’t work as well.

I just got a KS i900 as Superstar were clearing some stock, and it’s, well, so far it’s OK. Fiddly to set up and very sticky, but I’m hoping that’ll improve with a little use. I’ve watched ChrisL do battle with the earlier versions for a couple of years and it seems like they’ve finally made one that works so after his beta testing I thought I’d get one of the finished products 😉 It’s not as good as the GD, though it’s prettier and has an extra inch drop.

Oh and do get a remote. My GD didn’t have one when I got it, and its entire purpose was to make you realise how cool it would be, if it only had a bloody remote.

Janesy
    Free Member

You could look at the Specialized control post.
    I have one with my epic, its got 100mm of drop with a remote…. Its ace.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dropper seatposts, which one?’ is closed to new replies.